Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
ANOTHER OF LIFE'S LANDMARK EVENTS APPROACHES....
Hooray! After what feels like an eternity, today we finally agreed a sale price with a buyer for our 200 year old converted stone barn UK home. Which means Jen and I can start to firm-up plans for moving on to the next phase in our lives. Plan was always to up-sticks and go live in our Spanish place in the mountains near Alicante. House sale dragging out meant things just took a little longer than we'd banked on. This will be a massive upheaval and a pretty stiff challenge for me - what with moving a wife enduring her fifth year of dementia since being diagnosed, and organising everything concerned with our relocation. I'm guessing my current motorized bike build will be far from my main priority during the whole process - so I'll do my best to keep folks following this build thread updated with progress. Man, the reality of all this just hit home big time. No going back now....

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
ANOTHER OF LIFE'S LANDMARK EVENTS APPROACHES....
Hooray! After what feels like an eternity, today we finally agreed a sale price with a buyer for our 200 year old converted stone barn UK home. Which means Jen and I can start to firm-up plans for moving on to the next phase in our lives. Plan was always to up-sticks and go live in our Spanish place in the mountains near Alicante. House sale dragging out meant things just took a little longer than we'd banked on. This will be a massive upheaval and a pretty stiff challenge for me - what with moving a wife enduring her fifth year of dementia since being diagnosed, and organising everything concerned with our relocation. I'm guessing my current motorized bike build will be far from my main priority during the whole process - so I'll do my best to keep folks following this build thread updated with progress. Man, the reality of all this just hit home big time. No going back now....
Did sorta the same last year, sold a lake place, was suppose to be a retirement home, but never happened. The best in the long run, as have all set up shop and all set up here, and avoid all the extra work related to lake a place. Wish you well on the move ............Curt

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
WATER JET PROFILED PARTS ARRIVED...
Yesterday I collected the water jet profiled parts for Build No. 3 from a local engineering company. The 13 x parts were profiled in 5mm thick aluminium from my drawings, and cost me a mere 30 UK pounds. Wow! I couldn't have purchased a sheet of aluminium and hand cut/shaped these myself for anywhere remotely close to that. To say I'm pleased with the results would be an understatement. Will I have a use for this kind of service in future? You bet!
Pics show how the alloy parts came out. They include: 2 x front and 2 x rear engine plates (rear engine plates double-up as jackshaft box sides), 2 x front and 2 rear frame plates, 2 x frame gussets, 1 x hand shifter mount and a pair of alternative shift levers.
Just need to turn-up some alloy spacers over the holiday weekend, then I can take these alloy parts to pro-welder Paul and have him weld them to No. 3's aluminium frame.

FSCN3792.JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete those look great & at 2 pounds & small change per each, that's a great bargain. You still designed them, the machine cut them & Bob's your uncle... on to the next step. I do the math & see nothing but positives in that equation. Good on you! Rick C.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks Curt. You're right - I feel I've turned a corner on this build so far as the major parts are concerned....

MATING & TEST FITTING THE ENGINE TO THE FRAME...

Loosely bolted-up the engine and frame plates to my Gnome Rhone motor to check for fit. No worries - everything fit perfectly as I hoped it would - especially the jackshaft set-up - which was a relief. Loosely laid the engine in the frame to see how it all looked once in place. Fitted like a glove. Really couldn't be more pleased how this build is coming together.
Also primed, painted and clear coated the forks, added handlebars (these may or may not end up being the bars I go with), fitted the rear hub adapter/sprocket, and a set of folding pedals.
At this rate, all being well, I should be able to drop the aluminium frame off with welder Paul sometime this coming week and have him attach the water jet profiled alloy parts. Happy times....

FSCN3801.JPG FSCN3799.JPG FSCN3798.JPG FSCN3800.JPG RSCN3802.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Curt. You're right - I feel I've turned a corner on this build so far as the major parts are concerned....

Pete the bike looks great. I'm using the same fork, though modified, on my V twin build & I wondered if you'd share the degree of angle used at the neck & the amount of positive trail this represents with the 26" Crazy Bob's mounted?

Since the pedal levers have been discussed previously I'll just emphasize carrying both pedals level to prevent "hanging" a lever on all bumps, drops or inside corners 'cause you've no room for error. I'm loving the long, low look of the frame and components. You've combined the design elements of both classic and custom & it's working out beautifully for this bike. Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for the kind words and advice Rick.
I just took a few measurements and the bike is set up with 23 degrees of neck angle and 4-1/2" of positive trail. That's measured with the fork securing nut finger tight so there's a small degree of slop in the head tube. Once everything's correctly tightened up to spec., I estimate the trail will be spot-on 4".
Wish I could say I designed the bike with these numbers in mind - but it was more the result of laying some parts on a flattened cardboard bike carton laid out on the dining room rug early on in the build and indulging in some 'creative eyeballing' from my vantage point halfway up the staircase till I felt things looked right. (I'm a graphic artist - so I trust what my eyes see...lol). There's a pic in one of the early posts in this current build thread which shows exactly that.
I'm aware the pedal clearance does look somewhat minimal in the photos I shot yesterday, so this morning I double checked and can confirm there's a full 4-1/2" clearance with the pedals at max drop. My riding style on these bikes is the same as yours - keep both pedals level to help avoid a spill.

Different subject: After Jen and I up sticks in the next couple of months and skeedaddle off to Spain, I'm hoping to enjoy a lot more time spent riding my bikes - and legally to boot. Jen's dementia long since reached the point where I feel uncomfortable leaving her alone for even a few minutes, so naturally I've been thinking how she can tag along with me during rides. A side hack would be the logical answer - and my latest 125cc build would be the obvious recipient, being more of a light motorcycle than a motorized bicycle. Really fancy having a stab at fabbing an alloy bodied hack in the not too distant future. I'm itching to use my redundant stack of clecko pins again after flogging-off my Morgan rep! I'll be following your sidecar thread with interest...

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Pete for the numbers that resulted in the very pleasing and aggressive lines of your bike. The rake coupled with long wheelbase, my Simplex is 53", lends a racy look as well. I'd guess the ride height at well under 30" so the package with low bars is sporty to say the least!

I'd certainly encourage the hack & I'd not bet against you finishing that project before me, even with your move to the mountains. I've currently a lot of irons in the fire for an Old guy, yet that seems to please me as do most of my life's current events. I'm still just having fun here in Indian Territory! Rick C.

Reactions: PeteMcP

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
A side hack something along either of these lines appeals to me. Given the ease of access option, I reckon Jen would appreciate an opening door...

panther-motor-cycle-and-sidecar-bjarne-conradsen.jpg

sidecar.jpg

Incidentally, I've bitten the bullet and purchased the paint for Build No. 3. Opted to go with two green shades rather than greys as originally envisaged. Plumped for Opal Green and Mint Turquoise from the RAL palette. The Opal Green choice was inspired from this awesome V-twin pic...

opal green bike.jpg

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Pete,

Great to see your bike parts came out well and the price was great. Like your choice of side cars and the boat especially. Here is a photo of my 1952 Monark Super DeLuxe that I redid and the side car I made. I don't know if your seen them yet. The power is a 500w rear wheel and I'm going to step the power up from 36v to 52 volts this fall.

This was the first variation that tilted and the drive wheel was on the sidecar. Neither one worked well so now it's mounted solidly to the bike and the rear wheel is powered.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/NikonPictures034-2.jpg

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for the pic link Steve. Some super carpentry skills on your boat hack. Love it!
I could be tempted to go with the classic boat themed vibe on any hack I may build. I know for certain I have an unopened pack of fumed oak boards left over from when I did the flooring in our home. They'd be perfect for the 'deck'. Right now I just need to stay focused on trying to finish this bike before our house move and not get ahead of myself. But as Rick says, it's a good thing to have future projects lined up in one's head...

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Fitted Royal Enfield grips sourced from India, along with period-looking reverse levers. Not yet sure if I'll opt to go with cables concealed within the bars. It's not that easy with these particular levers. Hmmm, where did I put my thinking hat....

FSCN3804.JPG

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thanks for the pic link Steve. Some super carpentry skills on your boat hack. Love it!
I could be tempted to go with the classic boat themed vibe on any hack I may build. I know for certain I have an unopened pack of fumed oak boards left over from when I did the flooring in our home. They'd be perfect for the 'deck'. Right now I just need to stay focused on trying to finish this bike before our house move and not get ahead of myself. But as Rick says, it's a good thing to have future projects lined up in one's head...

Hi Pete,

I certainly like the boat style sidecar you posted. Sure would be a nice one to build. Glad you like the sidecar. If I could tighten up my metal skills to match yours life would be perfect.

Future plans are a necessity I think. When you can't work on the one your building you can at least plan the next ones in your mind.

Steve.