Help finding square CDI for Honda 50 Huasheng 49cc 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
I've been searching for the parts to remove the Huasheng 49cc 4 stroke Rev limiter (some call it a governor I believe erroneously). The process to do this is detailed in a few threads here. One from a long time ago that I cant find and a more recent one called something like
Ungovern Huasheng 49CC
The rev limiter is eliminated by using the Honda gxh or gxv 50 Flywheel and CDI.

The problem I'm running into is the Honda CDIs I can find online all look identical to the Huasheng Rev limited roundish CDI that has the plug wire in front if your looking at it on the engine.
The Honda CDI that I'm familiar with that will work in removing the Rev limiter was more square and the plug wire was in the back when installed on the engine(the old Huasheng 49cc CDI used to be the same but much longer ago).

Can someone tell me where to find the apparently older Honda CDI and Flywheel?
Is there a different CDI Flywheel combo I can use to remove the Rev limiter from Huasheng 49cc engines?

I'm guessing someone will bring up the 53cc Huasheng that's not rev limited or governed but I'm almost positive the TCI round barrel ignition it comes with is not available. However, if someone knows specifically where I can definitely find it then I'd appreciate the input.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Max hp on these engines is around 6800 rpm and max torque is at 4500 rpm. It's recommend not to exceed 7500 rpm at full throttle, the engine can turn around 9000 no load rpm. The simple thing to do is buy a tachometer/hour counter. This way you can use the tach and throttle to not exceed 7500 rpm. The hour counter is helpful in maintaining a maintenance schedule. You can find these tachometer/hour counters on eBay and Amazon fairly cheap.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
If you still have the 8 speed shifter bike the tach makes even more sense. If you're in a gear at WOT and can't hit 4500 rpm shift to a lower gear. If at WOT you're going way over 6800 rpm shift to a higher gear.

I personally use a tach to shift with on the Staton Inc triple chainring shift kit which drives a 7 speed 34-13 freewheel. Giving me a reduction range of 66.79:1 to 16.25:1.

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
I have 3 of these motors all of them are Rev limited by the CDI / Flywheel to 6800 rpm +- 200rpm.

A lot of people know about the conversion to eliminate the Rev limiter, I just need to find the ones that know where to find the proper parts. All the places listing the Honda gxh 50 "ignition coil" for saLe show the same CDI (ignition coil) that's already on the Huasheng motors I have. The round one that's known as the Rev limited one.

BTW will have a permanent tach on all builds I do that don't have the Rev limiter any more. Actually might set up a mechanical governor that just controls the throttle pull. But would like to be able to push it to 8100 - 8300rpm for a short burst.

I have bigger air cleaners, reworked & rejected carbs and upgraded exhaust. Just want to get the most out of the 49cc I safely can.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I have 3 of these motors all of them are Rev limited by the CDI / Flywheel to 6800 rpm +- 200rpm.

A lot of people know about the conversion to eliminate the Rev limiter, I just need to find the ones that know where to find the proper parts. All the places listing the Honda gxh 50 "ignition coil" for saLe show the same CDI (ignition coil) that's already on the Huasheng motors I have. The round one that's known as the Rev limited one.

BTW will have a permanent tach on all builds I do that don't have the Rev limiter any more. Actually might set up a mechanical governor that just controls the throttle pull. But would like to be able to push it to 8100 - 8300rpm for a short burst.

I have bigger air cleaners, reworked & rejected carbs and upgraded exhaust. Just want to get the most out of the 49cc I safely can.
The problem is these small 4 stroke engines are only going to produce a certain amount of horse power. That horse power is going to peak at a certain rpm. Going over max hp rpm isn't going to give you any more level ground speed. Once you are at max hp on level ground the only way to get more speed is through weight reduction and/or better aerodynamics.

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
The problem is these small 4 stroke engines are only going to produce a certain amount of horse power. That horse power is going to peak at a certain rpm. Going over max hp rpm isn't going to give you any more level ground speed. Once you are at max hp on level ground the only way to get more speed is through weight reduction and/or better aerodynamics.
I understand this... I know it's possible there will be no appreciable gains but I've got a build that's already been mocked-up to fit everything. After that I partially disassembled it so I could paint some parts and install the upgrades to the motor. I just have to find this CDI and flywheel(or cut a new keyway on the flywheel I have) and I can finish this build. It's a 3 speed shifter full suspension Nirve cruiser build.

Know anyone that might be able to help or is an expert with CDI's?

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
I've been searching for the parts to remove the Huasheng 49cc 4 stroke Rev limiter (some call it a governor I believe erroneously). The process to do this is detailed in a few threads here. One from a long time ago that I cant find and a more recent one called something like
Ungovern Huasheng 49CC
The rev limiter is eliminated by using the Honda gxh or gxv 50 Flywheel and CDI.

The problem I'm running into is the Honda CDIs I can find online all look identical to the Huasheng Rev limited roundish CDI that has the plug wire in front if your looking at it on the engine.
The Honda CDI that I'm familiar with that will work in removing the Rev limiter was more square and the plug wire was in the back when installed on the engine(the old Huasheng 49cc CDI used to be the same but much longer ago).

Can someone tell me where to find the apparently older Honda CDI and Flywheel?
Is there a different CDI Flywheel combo I can use to remove the Rev limiter from Huasheng 49cc engines?

I'm guessing someone will bring up the 53cc Huasheng that's not rev limited or governed but I'm almost positive the TCI round barrel ignition it comes with is not available. However, if someone knows specifically where I can definitely find it then I'd appreciate the input.

CONGRATS!! You have made the 700,000th post on the forums XD

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I understand this... I know it's possible there will be no appreciable gains but I've got a build that's already been mocked-up to fit everything. After that I partially disassembled it so I could paint some parts and install the upgrades to the motor. I just have to find this CDI and flywheel(or cut a new keyway on the flywheel I have) and I can finish this build. It's a 3 speed shifter full suspension Nirve cruiser build.

Know anyone that might be able to help or is an expert with CDI's?
When it comes to items that may've been discontinued, it's often easier to find an older Honda 49cc engine than it is to find parts from it.