Hauno Style BMX Build

Discussion in 'DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)' started by Hauno, Nov 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hauno

Hauno New Member

I’m working on my first non kit bicycle build. Budget is a priority since I have no idea if it will work or be sellable. I’ve decided to go with the cheapest new bmx the internet has to offer as well as the most comon 50cc 2 stroke.

2. Hauno

Hauno New Member

Here is the project, $85 bike, $75 motor and I’ll need a chain engine kill switch and sprocket.

Attached Files:

3. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Maybe you can find a sprocket for thr engine at thatsdax.com. Other wise scooter parts4less .........Curt

4. Hauno

Hauno New Member

I have a 62 tooth already, I just need to modify it so I can weld it to the the freewheel gear once it’s been taken apart

5. Hauno

Hauno New Member

9BE05EDB-1E13-4E3A-90D5-C7EC4C1BBF06.jpeg Here is the frame all welded and painted... a couple more sunny days and a couple packages away from the first ride

Tom from Rubicon and Spare_Parts like this.
  6. Hauno

Hauno New Member

882DFCA3-DD2E-47E6-A237-0709F8E5F6EE.jpeg E80E3865-80CC-40F6-9EB8-B1E4D02FA3F7.jpeg FD1E66F4-4BEE-4F22-AC8F-411D010F2B95.jpeg E80E3865-80CC-40F6-9EB8-B1E4D02FA3F7.jpeg A gearbox away from competition.

fasteddy and Tom from Rubicon like this.
  7. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

KOOOOOOOOOOL! Like it, nice job, were did you get the muffler from?...............Curt

fasteddy likes this.
  8. Hauno

Hauno New Member

it was a cheap amazon exhaust. i cut and welded it to fit, then pulled the crappy fake muffler and replaced it with a small stainless water bottle. it should sound a little more deep now.

fasteddy likes this.
  9. MEASURE TWICE

MEASURE TWICE Well-Known Member

I'll be watching this. Non-replica / DIY stuff is interesting to me. I never got to painting my frame for my Briggs pedal-less off road bike build. I am still thinking of making my bike modular to also double as an art vehicle. Back to what you started, I see it is not a clamp on engine bracket, but you welded with gusset tubing, nice! Keep up the good work.

10. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

It's pretty wild looking!! Nice job modifying that frame!!

Post some videos of it running. (^)

*side note*.... I'm not talking smack (because you did a real nice job on it), but I'm always a little disappointed when 'motorized bicycles' don't have functioning pedals. :(

fasteddy likes this.
  11. fasteddy

fasteddy Well-Known Member

Venice Motor Bikes is 100% correct. You might be a little disappointed if the police pull you over and ask why your "motorcycle' doesn't have plates or insurance and maybe why you don't have a drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement if that's required where you live.

If you can't pedal it it's no longer a bicycle or a moped. Moped is a combination of Motor Pedal.

Steve.

12. Hauno

Hauno New Member

I finally got a chance to ride my (non-motorized bike), minibike maybe? It was better than expected. it was running way too lean so I never went wot but I'd estimate 25mph. Next sunny day I'll do a little tuning and make a video. As far as the pedals go, the next one will have an 80cc motorized bike engine and pedals. Im still looking into making it street legal. Because it doesn't have a vin I may need to have it checked to by highway patrol, or get a special permit. I drove past a cop a couple blocks into the first ride and he didn't seem to care, which surprised me because this thing is loud.

fasteddy likes this.
  13. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

That's cool. Almost a mini version of my 24" minarelli powered race bike. IMG_20181010_172956.jpg

14. Hauno

Hauno New Member

holy crap! i just got two minarelli's and i was thinking about putting one in a bmx or 24" frame. Mine will be more of a novelty though, that thing looks built for speed. Is the water bottle the fuel tank?

15. CrazyDan

CrazyDan Member

Yes, the water bottle is the gas tank and that bike rips.

16. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Thumbs up on the idea, as stated earlier pedals would be great. I've been wanting to build a small bike for my wife, I'm thinking about a 20" rack mount or something like this.

17. 16v4nrbrgr

16v4nrbrgr Active Member

18. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

Definitely built for speed. It's got the polini 74cc top end kit. Had to stretch the frame 3" and use the triple tree fork for clearance.

The cranks are cut short with kids bike little pedals, because I only need to pedal it to start it.

Top speed is around 60mph, but it's geared for the tracks. With a smaller rear sprocket it'll probably hit 70+.

The "tank" is a 22oz camping fuel bottle. Just enough to complete a race.

Total weight is 68lbs.

The minarelli V1 is awesome. Almost bulletproof, and tons of upgrade parts available.

19. Hauno

Hauno New Member

20. Hauno

Hauno New Member

Bairdco, would you recommend the polini bb kit. I have a minarelli beretta 45 with a v1 that I would like to turn into a hill climber. Also is treatland the place to get it?