Harley's that never were...

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
A stamped metal frame option for the Model W sport (1919 to 1923)...

Looks like it must of had the fuel tank incorporated right inside the frame.

There’s a ton of info to be found there and it's a good potential source for inspiration!!!

I’m going to look up some other brands soon.

If anyone finds anything else cool, please share!

-Kirk

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey Mrb, those are great! Can you find on of those type views of a springer type rear suspension with the short verticaly mounted springs on the axle?
Thanks in advance if you or someone could.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
These are for Silver Bear & Fasteddie...

A interesting design for a clip-on passenger carrier dated June 6th ‘07 (application filed 5-5-’06)

and

The January 29th 1907 (application filed 11-27-’05) Oscar Hedstrum design for the Indian Tri-car attachment.

The clip-on clearly has a Indian cycle in the drawing, likely a deliberate attempt to market the item to them.

Too Mr. Razoux missed the boat! :)

Interesting they both have descriptions that include bicycles.

I think a clip-on inspired build might actually be a cool project!

Imma looking for a old wicker lawn chair... :)

-Kirk

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Mr.B,
Thank you for posting the blue prints of the Indian tricar. The first one was someone elses idea of a tricar attachment but the last two were the actual application for the Indian tricar itself and answered most of the questions that I was trying to figure out from the photos that on the internet. Measurements would have helped but this put's me way ahead of the game.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes,
Thanks for posting the tri-car patents. Steve nearly went blind trying to see how the front end was put together from the few photos available. Apparently what he came up with was very close.
SB

MaximusPrime

Jun 9, 2011
Washington
If I am not mistaken the rear coil suspension is somewhat similar to Trimph track bikes that were made during the 1950s...

There is an old boil maker welder guy that lives near me and he has a restored triumph on a 1954 frame that is a solid frame with a floating rear axle for a suspension in a similar spring track....

I may be wrong on the years but I know I have seen a similar design on a working motorcycle....

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If I am not mistaken the rear coil suspension is somewhat similar to Trimph track bikes that were made during the 1950s...

There is an old boil maker welder guy that lives near me and he has a restored triumph on a 1954 frame that is a solid frame with a floating rear axle for a suspension in a similar spring track....

I may be wrong on the years but I know I have seen a similar design on a working motorcycle....
Yeah, There used to be an aftermarket "bolt on softtail" for harleys and triumph ect that had shorter, straight springs.
That is the plan I would like to see. I would like to try build a rear springer suspension for myself.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Attached here a early front leaf spring suspension that’s somewhat similar to what Indian & Excelsior used in the ‘teens.

I couldn’t find the actual Indian design patent, but it might be out there...?

Also a 1911 “cushion” design looking like a style that was popular early on in England & Europe-

And of course Schwinn bicycles in the 1950’s

And more recently poorly chromed Chinese knock off's!

“-)

-Kirk

Attachments

Last edited: