1. wing nut

wing nut Member

hello ,
    ive been reading about these frames , and was curious as to what the gold coating is
    so i started this thread to see what every one else is thinking & what you did , or plan to do ..sand it ..dont sand it ...what ?
    if you have knowledge please post here ...also please feel free to post any pics & advice on this matter
    but please just info & pics about this frame
    thank you in advance

2. bigbutterbean

bigbutterbean New Member

If I may offer my opinion, I would see if it comes off with some steel wool or a dry brillo pad. I don't have any personal experience with this frame, but I've heard that its a light coating that flakes off easily.

3. wing nut

wing nut Member

yes , thank you
    i have heard that it is a protective coating .(scratches)
    also that it is a coating to promote paint adhesion
    what exactly it is? , i really dont know

4. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

5. JimsFelt66

JimsFelt66 New Member

Wow, have to admit that's the most informative web site on the frame I've ever seen. Pretty sure your the first person to post the link.

I just wish they could change the overall design a bit. Proportions just don't work for me astatically.

6. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Based on what I have learned here from other member's experiences, the coating is a protective measure for long term storage, nothing more. It does come off easily. It is not a primer coating, actually seems to be a paint repellent really.
    A self etching primer specifically made for use with aluminum is recommended before painting.
    Some members have had the frame powder coated too.

7. Jim C

Jim C Member

It looks to me like it is just "chem coat" or iridite (that may be spelled wrong). It is a pre plate or pre paint prep for aluminium. It is used to prevent corrosion. After welding or maching alumimium is cleaned in Oakite then dipped in the Iridite solution the color is added to the soulition

8. wing nut

wing nut Member

thank you all for the answers ..they were really what i needed
    the frame arrived & is all ready at the powder coater's , they say they can deal with the (gold stuff ) & all will be fine
    thank you again ....please feel free to post more tips & info you may come across

9. Harold_B

Harold_B Member

I think Jim C hit it. We used a product called Chem Film as a substitute for anodize when aluminum parts were in a nitrogen purged environment. It can be pretty dirty if not scrubbed but if cleaned properly can be anodized. I would defer to someone that deals with it often before spending a lot of money on a paint job. Here's a link to the Chem Film site: http://www.chemprocessing.com/metal_finishing_capabilities/chem_film.html

10. runnermike

runnermike New Member

Here is mine all powder coated

image.jpg

11. culvercityclassic

culvercityclassic Well-Known Member

Sweet, I like it

12. gokart25

gokart25 Member

looks good...anyone ever put a 4 stroke in one of these?