Grubee Starfire SuperRat Engine Kit!

GoldenMotor.com

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
I got mine today. the engine looks better than my last grubee. I like the 8mm front mounts, I wish they had also put them in the rear. They finally got the squishband on the head shaped correctly. So far the only problem I found was the hot wire was crimped under the cover and shorting out.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I'd like to hear how they run. Justin wouldnt let me crack the engine since it was brand new and he was prob gonna sell it anyway. I wanted to see why there was 2 base gaskets and what crank there running I'm wondering if its the solid version like in the gen 2 starfires

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
Mine has one gasket but the piston is very close to the head, so much I'm not sure is a size 6 spark plug will clear.

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
Got it running today, I never knew a HT could run like this, compression is crazy I can barely kick it over.
I couldn't get it to start with the CNS carb but the Nt had it running great.

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Canada, Ontario, Brampton
basically the gt5 2010 and and superrat are the same, only difference is the cdi.... at gas bike they say.. but vvomit you say it has much more power; even before break in? this makes me much more jealous.

YES i saw pirate's site now has them, too bad im kinda stuck with my gt5 already finished it yesterday got to see if the thing will start up few minutes!!!

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
Well it blew a head gasket after a few miles, but even with the leak it ran better than a regular HT. I had to put a second head gasket and a smaller cog to try and crank the thing.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Thank you phoobarnvaz! Still waiting on my tax return....... I hope it's still available then!
Me to. The only difference is that I'm going to get the 4 stroke I bought a couple of years ago back on my bike. Locked out the engager & need a new freewheel...then am ready to get the oil changed and start riding.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I want to know who the tool and die maker was that set the molds up for these castings... Was he drunk?
I've been working with the "china girl" engines for 2 years now and the quality fluctuates wildly.
Just for laughs I took a dial caliper to the cooling fins on the cylinders, the average fin thickness and taper wasn't the same from fin to fin.
From engine to engine was even worse... exhaust and intake ports were way off center on one perfect on the next and lower or higher on yet another and they supposedly all came from the same factory and batch.
Manic Mechanics new CnC billet cylinder head by comparison was a work of art.
(I call it the "ash tray" head)
How about a CnC finished casting, reed block intake, cylinder?
Any American manufacturers care to step up on this one?
Lets see the chips fly!
Or here's a twist... how about an AMERICAN made copy of the entire china girl engine?
Call it the "Girl next door" engine.
BBB

Last edited:

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Me to. The only difference is that I'm going to get the 4 stroke I bought a couple of years ago back on my bike. Locked out the engager & need a new freewheel...then am ready to get the oil changed and start riding.
I just want a cooler looking 4 stroke... they still look like weed whackers to me.
BBB

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
An American made version of a nice simple single cylinder engine would be nice buzbike but having gotten quotes for fabricated parts in my previous job I can say that the total costs would probably be very expensive. Not to mention the assembly costs.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Well, lets look at that shall we?
Just a china girl engine alone will run you any were from $80 to $100 dollars plus shipping for the engine alone.
Figure in the China girls inherent flaws and lack of long term dependability, poor castings and its almost non uniformity of assembly.

Would you pay say... 3 times more for an engine of higher quality/greater longevity?

By comparison the the S6-T Morini engine, which has less displacement yet more power than a china girl goes for around $580 to $600 with out shipping costs, and if its broken in and run properly it will out last a china girl at least 5 to 1.

Recently I purchased a brand new Morini S6-T AND a slightly used china girl 66 from a guy that wanted to go all electric.

The Morini weighs about 25 pounds dry, and its a bit wide for a bicycle frame, it got good old Marvel Mystery oil sprayed in its orifices, its ports taped up and put in a plastic bag on a shelf till I build a frame worthy of it.

The china girl weighs 16 pounds, Its got a wealth of cheap replacement parts AND a shift kit that was made for it, and its smaller and lighter than a Morini. It got my customary DE bugging and a rebuild and went right into a bike.
It cost me about 16 hours of labor, figure that as 2 days pay, and $60 in rebuild parts to undo its flaws, so figure around $360 to $400 dollars worth of my time and money.

I'd pay $300 for an American version of the 66cc china girl, if it were more dependable than a china girl and lighter, smaller, well built and as powerful as the Morini.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Morini, I like the china girl AFTER I've worked all the bugs out of it, but a mid ground cost quality simple 2 stroke that looks cool in the frame? and doesn't require DE bugging? that would be perfect.

(the main reason I don't like 4 strokes is they still look like weed whackers none were ever designed to be put in a bicycle frame)

Some where in this great country of ours there has got to be a small hungry foundry that will stand to make good on that charge.

If I had the wherewithal... Id go for it myself.
Yes, American made will be more costly at first, but it would be worth it.

Its easy to sit there and find reasons to NOT do something, that's the attitude that has crippled the U.S. in the light industry sector.
I say we take it back.
Just my opinion...
BBB

Last edited:

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
Has anyone ordered the Super Rat now that other companies are carrying them? I want just the engine and not the whole kit. Has anyone found a company selling the Super Rat as engine only?