Getting old is rough

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I plan on retiring my nerve pain, so will schedule surgery for January!

Retirement with your health is always better I'm thinking?

I did release another bird that chewed another hole in the netting for the blueberry plant cover.

I have a strip of 6 feet super bright 12VDC 2A led lights. Totally submersible rather than waterproof the stuff with sticky backing.

Three IR motion sensors I will see how to have them in parallel if that is not prohibited. Don't want to smoke the sensors. 1-to-6-minute delay adjustment allows lights to stay on after IR sensor stops sensing motion.

There is one of four sides where the netting does not have the deer fence by this nylon netting.

That is where they are most likely to chew with their beak through to make a bigger hole than the netting 3 quarter inch squares.

Now what if the sensors detect something at the location, they are probably not likely to keep cutting the net. Super bright leds are activated are sort of annoying. Professional blueberry farms don’t use netting, but use lasers. I figure this is a little more modest.

Hey, they have all the area to mozy around the grounds. This, if it works, is better than releasing freaked out birds that get in and I must let them go.

Just in the past some did get so freaked out that they go suck in the netting so bad and were strangled. Not a pretty sight. Just three birds had that in the first year and a half of four years so far. Do not want to have to deal with that anymore, not even having them get stressed and get released, just keep them out altogether!

I have seen snake, vole, and lizards in the garden. They don't cause any issues. I'll see if they will be detected as well and have the sort of the bright light of the interrogation chair?

MT
IMG_20231205_170246.jpg

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Have not started on the lights to scare off birds, but did a reinforcement where they like to be on ground level a chew hole in netting.

The first 3 sides are on wood.

The fourth side inside the deer fence is a netting that I lift up as a make shift gate to access the blueberry planters.

I put some cloth material that was being thrown out on the bottom next to the netting. I can just undo one end of the webbing I use to secure it.

The material is heavy weight shade material. If they try going though that too, then I shine a light on them.

The blueberry planter that has blueberry plant leaves still green is one that looses some leaves and replaces at the same time. The others start again from scratch. They all are starting buds and flowering, the leaves will eventually catch up.

The windsurfer dagger board I used on one end of the netting, though I had more fabric, I just figured this will do.
It has to be waterproof.
It is an original windsurf one design part. The sail and teak wood boom and universal joint base I have also.
The board had to be junked. The covering on the foam warped and cracked due to sun ultraviolet rays. Plastics were not that advanced back then.

IMG_20231225_143828458_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231225_143609974_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
And now the Boxing Day adventure.
Gathering the Christmas Swag and getting it loaded into Santa's Red Ford Focus sleigh became a thing of family lore.
The gift case of international wines from Step Son and his Missus was seriously heavy.
Stepping out of the house my left leg disagreed with the load and direction.
Straight ahead are cement steps, to my left out the door a yew hedge.
Landing was not pretty. How can you practice for a hedge dive?
Bro in law Mark was there, just looking at me. Swede's. (him)
He finally recovered and regained composure, and then I asked him to be so kind as to pull me up out of the bushes.
You have to trust me that this happened. Daughter in law, reviewing security footage. It was not recorded.
I never even hurt my pride.
I even scored 10's on form, fast thinking, and sticking the landing. (^)

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
And now the Boxing Day adventure.
Gathering the Christmas Swag and getting it loaded into Santa's Red Ford Focus sleigh became a thing of family lore.
The gift case of international wines from Step Son and his Missus was seriously heavy.
Stepping out of the house my left leg disagreed with the load and direction.
Straight ahead are cement steps, to my left out the door a yew hedge.
Landing was not pretty. How can you practice for a hedge dive?
Bro in law Mark was there, just looking at me. Swede's. (him)
He finally recovered and regained composure, and then I asked him to be so kind as to pull me up out of the bushes.
You have to trust me that this happened. Daughter in law, reviewing security footage. It was not recorded.
I never even hurt my pride.
I even scored 10's on form, fast thinking, and sticking the landing. (^)

Tom
I guess I am in competition with you.

I only, though, leaned up against the vegetable section in the produce department, this when the nerve pain got a little more than I could bare.

Getting up early and darn bumpy county road, then into a cold market does me no good.

A few minutes clutching my hand, a few stares, a few questions and I continued, but not in the best state.

Now, as long as I keep my surgery date and for see the future with out this nerve pain, I'll be in fat city!

MT

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Talked to oldest Step Son this AM, he left the Navy after 22 years. He has been seeking employment ever since with the only offers coming from paramilitary contractors like Black Water. The so called retirement pay and medical is on some crazy bureaucratic SNFU.

He has a home on 11acres (50% swamp) with Copperhead snakes, in Moyock NC. Easy drive to Norfolk, VA where he was based. His problem is that all the sailors living there and mustered out are all there. Available work does not match his pay grade even. And he is getting hazed for being 53?

I told him to come back to Wisconsin. Lot of work in the many industries near by.
Happy New Year
Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Got to be a month since I had two cords of wood drop'd. Smartest thing I did was have the wood unloaded on top of a 10x20 plastic tarp. Covered with another same size.
All the wood is in the shed now to the last stick. Having the wood on that bottom tarp, was a stroke of insight.
It has always been that as our driveway is sloped.
Snow melt and rain passed under the unstored wood soaking and freezing it to the pavement. Now with the under tarp the bottom wood was as dry as all the rest. Had to build a wheelbarrow landing extension to load the last two courses. Things are getting scientific.

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Friday, usually do Fish and Tots. Well we got this darn blizzard going. I pulled a bag of Gulf shrimp from the freezer, but Mona reminded me of a Usinger ring baloney that needed eating. "we could make Mac-N-Cheese".
I had about two cups of cream gravy left from Christmas, shredded cheddar, and plenty of macaroni in the pantry. I hadn't made homemade cheese sauce in ages.
Well when I folded the sauce and Mac together, the sauce was a bit stiff. But I had saved some of the pasta water and bit by bit folded the mac n cheese to a very creamy consistency.
Baloney ain't fish but it will do.

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
How our weather is of late.
“Gluggavedur”, anglicized from Icelandic Gluggaveður: noun: Window-weather (Weather that is nice to look at through a window, but not nice to be out in.)

And snot freezing just past my chin, and it is only zero F. Colder Monday. Told Mona, what with a absence of our plump squirrels (peanut fed) that they may have discovered a neighbor with a hot tub.
Or the hawks found them.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Ever see a flying gray squirrel, that's what I had till I covered the roof with some stainless sheet I had. also moved the feeder some away form the tree, now the only trouble I have is young ones getting up the feeder 5' off the ground, I do have a piece of dryer vent pipe under the feeder, but still manage somehow.
-5 for a high yesterday, and like you said colder today, like a -25 Windchill, like a slap in the face all of a sudden, to much to fast. don't even have time to wipe the snot of your chin..........Curt

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
I plan on retiring my nerve pain, so will schedule surgery for January!

Retirement with your health is always better I'm thinking?

I did release another bird that chewed another hole in the netting for the blueberry plant cover.

I have a strip of 6 feet super bright 12VDC 2A led lights. Totally submersible rather than waterproof the stuff with sticky backing.

Three IR motion sensors I will see how to have them in parallel if that is not prohibited. Don't want to smoke the sensors. 1-to-6-minute delay adjustment allows lights to stay on after IR sensor stops sensing motion.

There is one of four sides where the netting does not have the deer fence by this nylon netting.

That is where they are most likely to chew with their beak through to make a bigger hole than the netting 3 quarter inch squares.

Now what if the sensors detect something at the location, they are probably not likely to keep cutting the net. Super bright leds are activated are sort of annoying. Professional blueberry farms don’t use netting, but use lasers. I figure this is a little more modest.

Hey, they have all the area to mozy around the grounds. This, if it works, is better than releasing freaked out birds that get in and I must let them go.

Just in the past some did get so freaked out that they go suck in the netting so bad and were strangled. Not a pretty sight. Just three birds had that in the first year and a half of four years so far. Do not want to have to deal with that anymore, not even having them get stressed and get released, just keep them out altogether!

I have seen snake, vole, and lizards in the garden. They don't cause any issues. I'll see if they will be detected as well and have the sort of the bright light of the interrogation chair?

MT View attachment 114945
[/QUOTE

Heal quickly brother... prayin for you and your family.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
They’re making you a little more robotic. Lower back has got to hurt. Get well soon!

Damn Curt that’s some cold and my stuff would hurt big time. I’ve been walking a little over a month now; just begun using a cane. 30s is too young to talk like this.

Yeah MT I hear nerves grow a millimeter a day. But until then… Gabapentin.