Getting old is rough

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Thanks guys, yeah when somebody stops messaging on a forum it usually means something really bad happened. Dang Curt, broken back scares the crap outta me because so many people I know hurt it and have lasting problems. I’m too young for this crap! Tell you guys what, I’ll keep building but I think I’m done with riding for a while. Dunno I gotta figure this out. Maybe it’s time to move on from 2-wheelers as much as I love riding. People have gotten so rude on the streets lately; it’s just not safe without a cage anymore.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Bikes can be replaced, bodies not !! This was the reason I quit riding my pedal road bike, which I really loved to do. Cars and trucks don’t pay attention and sure as heck don’t give you any space.
So not that it’s any of my business, but how bad are you broken ?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks guys, yeah when somebody stops messaging on a forum it usually means something really bad happened. Dang Curt, broken back scares the crap outta me because so many people I know hurt it and have lasting problems. I’m too young for this crap! Tell you guys what, I’ll keep building but I think I’m done with riding for a while. Dunno I gotta figure this out. Maybe it’s time to move on from 2-wheelers as much as I love riding. People have gotten so rude on the streets lately; it’s just not safe without a cage anymore.
I was really lucky, I got booted out of a tree by a branch I cut bouncing back up , landed on my shoulders, broke my sternum cross ways, from bending, my knees hit my ribs and broke a couple. Ended up with a compression fracture of D,3,4,5 vertebras. Was in a back brace for 10 1/2 months. That was back in 79, have a few side effects, but never let it slow me down much.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I was really lucky, I got booted out of a tree by a branch I cut bouncing back up , landed on my shoulders, broke my sternum cross ways, from bending, my knees hit my ribs and broke a couple. Ended up with a compression fracture of D,3,4,5 vertebras. Was in a back brace for 10 1/2 months. That was back in 79, have a few side effects, but never let it slow me down much.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The problem for you Tony, is you are young and were fearless. The helmet adds a sense of false security.
Also some peripheral blindness. My most aggressive riding on my R80/7 BMW happened wearing my Shoei helmet.
I have two rotator cuff separations low speed crashes. I bruised my d!ck on a wipe out on my Honda 250 Enduro in 1984. Tipped over half drunk standing still mounting my Sportsman Flyer.
But I always get back on. If you don't you will never over come that fear.

As regards off radar. Rick Chappelear
Our member map has him on the East Coast instead of Ok. ?
Honorable mention to Pete McP. Covid buggered him and he is no longer posting that I know of.

Keep healing Tony.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy and Tony01

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Follow up to all I posted from Aug. 22 on about BIL Dave's house of treasures, detritus, and filth.
As you know, over a month and a half we unloaded 3, 10 yd dumpsters of detritus. The elder surviving BIL,
Mark was appointed administrator of the estate. Mark engaged a Estate Sale guy to arrange a Estate sale. Just for fun. Here is the link.
Hiawatha Sales in Minnetonka, MN | EstateSales.org

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Update on BiL Dave's Estate sale as of 12/2. Antique long guns are gone. None were shooters. Haven't heard what the 70's and 80's Playboy and Esquire yielded. Gay BiL Mark was going to ditch them!

49K as of Friday's recites. For his three elder siblings, it is astounding.

The pity is dear David by his own doing lived in squalor and chaos, and had the means to not be there.
Except his collection was all his, and precious. Looks like the proceeds of the estate sale will cover his debts.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I looked at what was in the photos I was sure that you would do well. Your late brother-in-law certainly knew what he was collecting and if any of those lamps were maker signed that boosted the price. I'll bet the long guns were on their way to working as soon as they arrived at their destination unless they were damaged beyond repair and then they may have been parts.

Glad that everything worked out for you.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
As Curt said Steve, the proceeds will likely cover Dave's debts. The estate guy takes a 35% cut.

If I were the administrator of the estate, at 5PM today I would put the keys in a Fed ex packet and send it to the mortgager and walk away fast. The surviving brother paid dumpster fees and utilities, I paid the $1500 Lawyer fees, and the older sister paid to cook Dave. Not expecting a nickle back.

But there is a large can containing coinage that we picked up everywhere. Last time I gave a bit of a lift there was 30# or more. :)

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks?
Over the years since we bought our home in Rubicon,WI., I have loaded a wood shed one arm load at a time.
Lot of shoe leather for a little bit of firewood loading progress.
Last year, 2022, I dismantled the old wooden shed and replaced it with a Versa Tube steel shed.
Framed in a door way to let my two wheel barrow pass with ease. And then the light bulb came on.
With a ramp at the doorway I could fill the wheelbarrow full.
Run it in and stack wood faster than I ever imagined before.

The only problem I have had is getting shorted on cordage. With rare exception, the wood sellers can tell you a wood cord = 128 CF. They fail to acknowledge that, that it is stacked wood, not a lose pile or truck load.
Got in a heated debate with the current wood seller earlier this week.
He shorted me at least 34 CF last year. I asked him to make it up this year and he got real pissy.
I know the wood seller is not the sharpest tool in the shed. That he does not know the dictum.
"The customer is always right".

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
My wood seller dropped a trailer load Friday night. It might make two cords stacked, and every year a bug or two gets brought into the house. this year will be no different. The whole dang pile is covered with spider silk and baby spiders. Hopefully before the rain comes and i have to tarp the pile. some Nuthatches and Chickadees' will eat some.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy and Tony01