Genesis 29er+ Kid's ATV engine= WINNING

GoldenMotor.com

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I finally got the motivation to move forward on the tank. Now I just need to make the petcock happen, find a cap setup and weld it all up. With the lack of shaping tools and time, I will use filler to make things a bit smoother.

I suppose I should lock in a mounting situation while I'm at it.... haha

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I decided that I didn't want to wait to give the cylinder a fresh coat of paint just yet... Winter was making it impossible, so I decided that this spring I will just tape things off to paint. I will need to for the crank casing anyway, so no big deal. I was just happy to make some progress. Nice to see the new piston in, and I am going to lap my valves once I get them out, too.

There is some slight wear on the cams and rocker arms, but nothing I am really concerned about. Everything else seems to be just fine!

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
This is my current progress, I have remade the top portion of the tank (since I figures out the most accurate way to make the creases) and came out with something a lot more uniform in a lot less time. This is just thrown together so I can begin building engine mounts and jack shaft setup. I will then be able to mock up the intake manifold and prepare for the new head (That will be ordered sometime soon I hope)

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Here are pics of the mount I made yesterday. I got the clamps and all this one took was drilling two holes.

I had to cut the cable retainer piece off of the frame in order for the clamp to be where it is, and it made it work!

It is such a tight fit at all angles, it took some time to get the thing lined up and tightened down. I need the starter off to do so. But it lined itself up right as it got tighter, and is a solid mount.

Also, the shameful welds I've done on my tank so far...

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That is NOT going to work I'm afraid. Looks to me like certain death for the top tube.
You might get away with it if you add some half tubes welded inside BOTH sides of that muffler clamp to spread out the loads.
As it's shown it WILL cut that frame, ESPECIALLY an ALUMINUM frame.
Very bad idea as is...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
... the shameful welds I've done on my tank so far...

You know you don't have to weld your whole tank to be air tight right?

I just finished this tank up.

It is the side panels from a 1937 and I just tack welded them to a 'cookie cutter' steel frame, then used caswll tank sealer to make it air tight.

Just trying to save you some headache.
That tank holds 6L (1.6 gallons) ;-}

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
That is NOT going to work I'm afraid. Looks to me like certain death for the top tube.
You might get away with it if you add some half tubes welded inside BOTH sides of that muffler clamp to spread out the loads.
As it's shown it WILL cut that frame, ESPECIALLY an ALUMINUM frame.
Very bad idea as is...
THANK YOU for catching that one. I remember reading it somewhere, but upon my eagerness to get the thing mounted, I overlooked it completely!

I will up-size my clamps and add half tubes to even things out. I will do this for the down tube and seat post as well. (Just sad that I just got the holes drilled and the thing stuck to the frame already haha)

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
You know you don't have to weld your whole tank to be air tight right?

I just finished this tank up.

It is the side panels from a 1937 and I just tack welded them to a 'cookie cutter' steel frame, then used caswll tank sealer to make it air tight.

Just trying to save you some headache.
That tank holds 6L (1.6 gallons) ;-}
That is a good idea! I don't know if I could allow myself to do that though, I can be rough on things and I have a hunch I would be snapping some welds on the rough roads around here... I really like your bike!

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Well, here is what else I got done last night ; )

These welds are bad due to the low temps and low power of the welder I'm using

The jack shaft will mount here, plus the rear engine mount will be attached to this plate.

There is where the down tube mount will be, bolted to the cylinder.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Ah yes much better, one should always have one to rid while building,helps from getting frustrated ........Curt

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just a builders tip:
Put the tank far way somewhere and make the drive train work first.

Does that old engine even run?
You know, test started since you rebuilt it?

Sure it's fun to mock up what you want it to look like, but you have some very serious exacting mechanical work to do and it won't do it itself ;-}

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I do the work as my funds allow it haha. I still need to buy a new head and electrical stuff. Then I plan on getting the jack shaft kit. I can make it run, I don't doubt that. Just a matter of having the parts.... :p