Front Fender Problem on a motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Thank you so much Dan! I appreciate it! :) I have removed the fender, as well as closely inspected the rest of the bike. I've made some minor adjustments, chain, tightening of nuts, etc. Seems she'll be safe for now, and I'm going to use an "L" bracket, much thicker than what was on there. I need to find the right tool to remove the rivets, holding on the original crap bracket. I have access to a dremel, but not sure what bits I have access to just yet. It's supposed to be nice here for the next 5 days, so I've got a little bit of time to play around with the fender, and get it right. I'm not risking anything anymore. Having a fender already come off on me before, finding this break is a real wake up call.

CONSTANTLY INSPECT YOUR BIKE!!!!

:) Thank you again Dan, I'm so thankful for this thread. I wonder how many other people would benefit from an inspection of their bikes. :) It's likely saved my life!

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
...and Thank you big time Easy Rider for starting this thread
You're welcome Dan. Its been over two years since I made this thread. I spoke to my buddy that owned the bike I used in the pictures and to this day he still feels the affects of the accident.
The pictures are a real eye opener and I'm glad I could help a fellow MBer from disaster. My hat goes out to the experienced MBers that helped solve this problems.

TONYMOTORBIKE

Mar 2, 2010
puerto rico
hi people the front fender is dangerous please eliminate. I am fall no helmet only 15mph I lost a tooth,wound in the forehead knee injury,shoulder injury,I was taken by ambulance.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
hi people the front fender is dangerous please eliminate. I am fall no helmet only 15mph I lost a tooth,wound in the forehead knee injury,shoulder injury,I was taken by ambulance.
Sorry to hear about your accident, I'm glad you didn't have any serious head trama even though you hit your head hard enough to lose a tooth. For reasons like yours, I alway wear a helmet even though I'm testing in the front yard.

TONYMOTORBIKE

Mar 2, 2010
puerto rico
Sorry to hear about your accident, I'm glad you didn't have any serious head trama even though you hit your head hard enough to lose a tooth. For reasons like yours, I alway wear a helmet even though I'm testing in the front yard.
yes brother helmet ever all along and check the screws the front fender the vibration loose
this motor bicycle is fun and good transportation but Life is a risk wing protect helmet helmet:-||

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
It might look just a tad odd, but you could make a 2 piece fender that is very safe:

the rear "half" should attach to the downtube by hose clamps or seat stays, and not rotate under steering. The front "half" should mount to the brake through-bolt, the same hole if no brake present, or the fork crown, or the headset (a tab like those reflectors used to go on or the straddle cable for canti brakes), or the stem.

If the front broke off, it would just fall out of the way and not drag on anthing. Worst case, you might run over it. But it and its mounting gear would be very visible and easy to secure.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Taking my fenders off tomorrow! Also I wear a motorcycle helmet when riding my MB, its not our driving we need to watch out for, its theirs.

Pat

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very true Pat. Also a helmet gives a subtle clue that your going faster then a bicycle. I can tell the difference when on rare occasion, i forget to put one on. Cars pull out on me a lot less when I am wearing a helmet. It's a big goofy one, not a bicycle helmet.

Found some very cheap fenders I might try. They look break away. Amazon.com: Zefal Mountain Classic Bicycle Fender Set, Black: Sports & Outdoors

r.ly.

Attachments

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Very true Pat. Also a helmet gives a subtle clue that your going faster then a bicycle. I can tell the difference when on rare occasion, i forget to put one on. Cars pull out on me a lot less when I am wearing a helmet. It's a big goofy one, not a bicycle helmet.

Found some very cheap fenders I might try. They look break away. Amazon.com: Zefal Mountain Classic Bicycle Fender Set, Black: Sports & Outdoors

r.ly.
Thats a cool helmet. That'll get their attention for sure. lol. Good idea.

Pat

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Them fender mounts are not worth used bubble gum. I thought everyone knew that. Get a piece of steel. Walk around a car junk yard. bend it 90 and drill 2 holes. Bolt it on the fender. Lock tite if you have it. If not take the front fender off until you can do so.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The problem I've found with making the mount stronger is the fender cracks around the mount or around the bolts/rivets used to secure the mount to the fender. The best solution I've found is replacing the tabs with a small eyebolt and 4 rubber bibb washers.

Mount the eyebolt to the fender, eybolt/washer/bibb/fender/bibb/washer/nylock nut then mount the eyebolt to the fork/fender support the same order.

I came up with this when I switched over to a springer front fork and because of the straps being mounted to the axle there is quite a bit of flex needed where the fender is mounted to the forks. Seems to be holding up pretty good so far.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
So today I removed the fenders from my Cranny and guess what? Yep, you guessed it. The fender was cracking around the metal tab. Another week or so and I might have had a problem. I love forums like these. Thanks for all the input guys.

Pat

[email protected]

Nov 26, 2009
AR.
THANKS-for info.took vote survey -how long did your build take- I put 8 months or longer,most had voted 2, day's they should read this forum + alot more,I'm 56,and still figuring out safety issues and best parts. THANKS AGAIN, JOSEPH PS.still have not ridden my beach Cruiser yet,bought motor 1 1/2 years ago-pk slant 80. Schwinn beach cruiser- Del mar.people say cheep bike,what do you think,any issues.welds seam good. have a old-pilot frame and fork and crank,but it is a pilot G.ALSO HAVE A OLD GALLEXY FLYER,COMPLETE. that bike seems solid. and doesen't have the large down tube. OLDSCHOOL.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
When the mounting tab broke on my front fender the fender didnt even move, cause its also has a bracket on each side that is locked in place by the wheel axle nuts.
I origional just replaced the old tab with a steel one and a bolt, plus i added a plastic tie.

Next i replaced the metal fender with a plastic one and just plastic tied it on.

But right now i just took both fenders off completly,like who rides in the rain anyway.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
So today I removed the fenders from my Cranny and guess what? Yep, you guessed it. The fender was cracking around the metal tab. Another week or so and I might have had a problem. I love forums like these. Thanks for all the input guys.

Pat
Wow Pat, glad you cought it! The whole face plant thing is not fun.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The problem I've found with making the mount stronger is the fender cracks around the mount or around the bolts/rivets used to secure the mount to the fender. The best solution I've found is replacing the tabs with a small eyebolt and 4 rubber bibb washers.

Mount the eyebolt to the fender, eybolt/washer/bibb/fender/bibb/washer/nylock nut then mount the eyebolt to the fork/fender support the same order.

I came up with this when I switched over to a springer front fork and because of the straps being mounted to the axle there is quite a bit of flex needed where the fender is mounted to the forks. Seems to be holding up pretty good so far.
That is precisely what I did with mine. My fender bracket is gently squeezed between two rubber washers with a locknut at the end. I also have a springer fork. I went a step further and figured the arc the bracket would travel, from the axis of the fork pivot, and gently bent the bracket to align with the path it would travel along the arc. In this way, when the fork flexes up and down, the bracket travels straight up and down with no need to flex. I had to also futz with the addition and subtraction of washers to find the right path to it, but by then I was so in the zone that I didn't know, or care, that I had gotten anal-retentive to the point of constipation. But, what can I say, still no sign whatever of cracking. And I do check that thing as part of my pre-ride checklist.