For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for clearing that up Tom.
As a landlubber, I was beginning to wonder if this forum was quite the right place for Rick to come clean about his shameful past concerning strippers... ;)
Pete it's a "tangled web we wieve" yet perhaps it's merely the misdirection of intent rather than that of actual reality and the passing of time which covers tracks and eliminates witnesses. Any alleged confession might be seen as the addled account of a man advanced in age sequestered too long due to a world wide pandemic. My story & I'll be sticking to it.

Still my tale of Santa and his beautiful, naked elf helper and driving a red Rubicon one Christmas eve is a good one too (also witnessed by my boy)

"Truth in cycling my brothers and the recounting of all nautical adventures must be upheld" -
Captain Jack Sparrow

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Our Canoe Club had some insane Mahogany veneer K1, K2's and a K4. They looked to be carved from a solid log.
They were Danish made
I was supposed to have been a member of our K4 crew qualifying for the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics.
Well President Carter trying to make a point about Russia's misadventure in Afghanistan, ordered a boycott of the Summer Olympics. I coulda been a contenda.
My fiberglass Olympic K1 is up in the rafters, of my shed along with my three other kayaks.
Tom

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
Our Canoe Club had some insane Mahogany veneer K1, K2's and a K4. They looked to be carved from a solid log.
They were Danish made
I was supposed to have been a member of our K4 crew qualifying for the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics.
Well President Carter trying to make a point about Russia's misadventure in Afghanistan, ordered a boycott of the Summer Olympics. I coulda been a contenda.
My fiberglass Olympic K1 is up in the rafters, of my shed along with my three other kayaks.
Tom
Tom you are the second person I "know" that was cheated out of your opportunity to shine for America because of the boycott, just rest assured youre a champion in our eyes brother!

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
Its lost wax. And I cant post any pictures of anyones art work until they have revealed it.
Its Copy right infringement and its unethical, we are required to sign a non disclosure agreement and no photos are allowed in my work area unless taken by the artist and only of his own work.

How would you feel if I leaked photos of something you created and took all of the build up and suspense out of your creativity and time?

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Definitely at the opposite end of the spectrum to the cast brass stuff Dennis made.
My model train kits featured a lot of lost wax brass investment castings.
Still have all the master patterns for many hundreds of similar tiny detail components I made over the last thirty years.
FSCN1878.JPG
FSCN2214.JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Definitely at the opposite end of the spectrum to the cast brass stuff Dennis made.
Still have all the master patterns for many hundreds of similar tiny detail components I made over the last thirty years.
View attachment 108555 View attachment 108556
Pete I love your train builds!

Rick C.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
View attachment 108555 View attachment 108556
I don’t have the talent or patience to do this!

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Tom,
Shay, Climax and Heisler 3ft narrow gauge geared locomotives and logging locomotives in general were my main interest for many years. Live steam Shays are incredible pieces of kit. Their unique motion parts are hypnotic.
Youtube has some nice footage showing a couple of 2-1/2" scale live steam model Shays being prepped and running on the Train Mountain live steamer line in Oregon. Preserved No's 14 & 15 from the Westside Lumber Co. are impressive machines both full size and in 2-1/2" scale.
Just search Youtube for 2-1/2" scale live steam Westside Shays 14 & 15 at Train Mountain. (I can't do links, but I'm betting someone will step up).
Mightily impressive what some model train guys churn out in their spare time. VERY deep pockets needed for one of these beauties if you don't have the machining nous to self build. My pal in Brattleboro, VT builds 2-1/2" scale one-off Westside Lumber Co. rolling stock for these guys to haul behind their Shays. Built from prototype plans and complete down to the last nut and bolt. The WLCo tank car and caboose were in his shop last time I visited.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Tom,
Shay, Climax and Heisler 3ft narrow gauge geared locomotives and logging locomotives in general were my main interest for many years. Live steam Shays are incredible pieces of kit. Their unique motion parts are hypnotic.
Youtube has some nice footage showing a couple of 2-1/2" scale live steam model Shays being prepped and running on the Train Mountain live steamer line in Oregon. Preserved No's 14 & 15 from the Westside Lumber Co. are impressive machines both full size and in 2-1/2" scale.
Just search Youtube for 2-1/2" scale live steam Westside Shays 14 & 15 at Train Mountain. (I can't do links, but I'm betting someone will step up).
Mightily impressive what some model train guys churn out in their spare time. VERY deep pockets needed for one of these beauties if you don't have the machining nous to self build. My pal in Brattleboro, VT builds 2-1/2" scale one-off Westside Lumber Co. rolling stock for these guys to haul behind their Shays. Built from prototype plans and complete down to the last nut and bolt. The WLCo tank car and caboose were in his shop last time I visited.
Your buddy in Vt. have a web site Pete? No big deal, just curious. :)
Tom

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Tom,
Bill does have a website relating to his main business of producing laser-cut wood structure kits in various scales for model railroading. But his off-shoot into building one-off items of larger scale rolling stock for live steam is not something he did commercially. Strictly a word of mouth thing between fellow enthusiasts.
Since '97 Jen and I used to stay at Bill and his wife Angie's place in VT every February and they stayed with us in the UK in September most years. Last time we made the trip was 2013 - the year Jen was diagnosed with her dementia and our 40 years of international travel sadly came to an end.