For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
Im not sure tbh. My mom and my son are going there this weekend I will have my son take some close up pictures of what it's hung by and we will see I think it's just unistrut though and yeah that ****'s crazy man that's going to come crashing to the ground the second that building shakes I guarantee that!

Reactions: fasteddy

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
I think there are huge anchors that are set into the cement but still that's not even sufficient for that load rating I can tell you that myself we had to go down there and cut big holes in the fins because the fins were almost solid and it was so heavy that they couldn't even get it up to mount it ... the fins are just covered with thin plates of rolled bronze that have been patina to look like the sculpture

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Omg... I have built more miniatures of the Statue of Liberty than I can shake a stick at. If I never see that man jawed fem again it will be to soon. With no disrespect to the symbolism behind her. I am speaking purely aesthetically.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The whale set cast in aluminum and painted to replicate?
So, are you building a bike? Investment cast badges are not rare. I have in hand a sand cast brass badge.
Patented dates 10/15 1895 to 2/26/1903. Otto Gas Engine Works. Chicago, ILL.
Tom

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
No its 1/2 inch thick bronze body is patina'ed with ordinary gun bluing fluid sprayed upon a hot bronze surface.

The fins were 3 -5 inch solid until they called us back down onto the scene where we took big hole saws and cut holes in the fins and took thin sheets of rolled bronze and welded them over the fins and patina the skin to look like this sculpture.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
I can run stuff like that but only for myself. My boss is kind and giving and I would never want to do anything to lose that.

He is let me make a couple small items for my mother , he buys us lunch every Friday and he lets me come in whenever I want as long as I do 8 hours a day from as early as 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

I make 20+ dollars an hour working for the shop and up to 125 an hour when I work commission.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
I'm a qualified old guy! LOL and i sure do remember those leather rings and they did keep your hubs nice and clean and shiney, now im going to get and old leather belt and make a few up! Thanks for the memories!
Yeah, I made some for my old balloon tire bike in the late 50s and all we had for roads were dirt roads and gravel roads which made
it hard peddling that new-old bike.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
There is a wood boat forum that would love this site. I will post a link to the forum. Thanks Steve
Rick, for ten years I was a Marathon canoe racer. Member of the St.Charles Canoe Club.
The Mid-American Canoe Race in 1978 I raced in the Mixed Class finishing 4th and off the podium.
There were always a few strippers in that 22 mile race. Usually a grandfather that built it, and his grandson.
I considered Strippers too precious for river running.
Mid-American Canoe Race 1978 (paddlestats.net) Winners in mixed that year, I partnered with both in other marathons.
Tom
Great to hear success stories Tom, though I enjoy tales of abject failure too. It's just a streak of perversity I reckon. I shamefully recall strippers and power boating as elements of a colorful past as well.
My Son and I actually won a large canoe race in Texas, almost killed me in process (also 20 miles) but 15 years or so after the race you mention. My boy's always been super competitive and with excellent physical abilities to match: which I attribute to his mother. This being my only canoe racing experience I regret being out front and missing any stripping activity. We both would probably have preferred that to the win!

Oh yes the perverse part includes many diverse race failures which I won't share at this time...possibly never. All the entrants used aluminum or fiberglass canoe, so we were slumming and in all fairness I surmise a lot of the entrants were drinking and floating much of the time. All had to finish or the gators would have picked off what was left after the skeeters finished with them!
Rick C.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Looks of the same quality of craftsmanship and authenticity as the one I saw, Tom, just beautiful.
Though I'm a confessed believer in metal; when it comes to recreational boats of whatever design type. I prefer wood. Teak, cypress, mahogany and cedar strip are all superb in a given application for use on the water. Like choppers they are maintenance hogs when in actual service, but worth it for those that can deal with it!

Paddle on! Or pedal, if appropriate.
Rick C.