Excuse me, m'am, but this ain't what I ordered...

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by itsmrthunderhead, Apr 11, 2011.

1. itsmrthunderhead

itsmrthunderhead New Member

What I ordered from BikeBerry: "Flying Horse" 66cc Slant Head Engine Kit, universal U-mounts. Ordered replacement hardware at SBP, extra petcock (intend to make my own tank - the stock one is a little cheesy.)

What I got: A Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit, not sure if slanted or not.

Is this normal to get a different engine, and if it isn't, should I be worried? I don't want to send it back - it took long enough to get here. What are the significant differences between the Skyhawk and the Flying Horse? Telltale signs whether it's a slant or not?

2. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

i wouldn't worry, Grubee's are great motors. it's probably better than the flying horse.

seems to happen all the time.

3. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger New Member

I think it's called an upgrade.

4. itsmrthunderhead

Well, then, my compliments to the chef. Also, it looks like the u-mounts that came with the engine are too big for my bike frame. Should I use shims/rubber gaskets of some sort or will it shake to pieces?

5. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

you can make shims out of a piece of pipe cut in half (or an old pair of handlebars, a seatpost, etc...) i'm against rubber mounting, especially if you use it to take up space. the motor will vibrate and probably break your mounting studs.

6. "the prussian" Shop Dogs

Deff. An upgrade ,had a buddy who went thru two flyers ,66cc gt-5 way better.
    You guys got non ethanol gas in ceadrburg by chance?

7. itsmrthunderhead

If only. Does the SBP alternate hardware kit come with extra bolts for the mounts? I'd be willing to bet the ones that came with it are gen-u-wine pot metal.

8. "the prussian" Shop Dogs

I NEVER use the studs that come with kits, there junk . Most of the upgrade kits out there are quality , i just hit an ace and just trim down m6x1.0 hex cap bolts to do the job. But thats just me.
    Never used sbp kit , sure someone else has.

9. decoherence

decoherence New Member

i have never ordered from any company besides amazon that hasn't totally screwed up my order.
    except pirate cycles. they made a mistake that was in my favour.
    my order included a spark plug wire. i didn't receive it but i did get the best cable w/intergraded lock i ever have owned. & they sent me my favourite candy. smarties!

from another company
    in one order for my vespa i only received about half of my order. the order was for mostly big parts like 2 tires & a new variator. i was bothered that when they made the shipping labels they didn't notice that the order was about 10lbs off. that was actually how i proved that they never sent it to me. i asked them to pull the shipping order then add up all the parts weights.

10. matthurd

matthurd New Member

my grubee runs really nice, so i wouldn't worry about it. slant head means the spark plug is at an angle rather then straight up.

the only thing to worry about based on my experience with grubees (and i suspect all chinese engines) is that the threading for studs need to be tapped further, mine were poorly done. and most of the studs/bolts/screws/nuts are better off if replaced (agin i'd bet that's every chinese kit)

11. cuberasnapper

cuberasnapper New Member

first order with bike berry and i got screwed its been one month and still waiting for my refund personaly i think they are the worst ever but thats just me i had to say something

12. itsmrthunderhead

Well, let's see if it runs. :d

13. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

I've ordered from SBP, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Their engine mounting hardware is ROCK solid. They stock rather high quality parts. Prices are good for what you get. I trust SBP, Pirate, DAX, Venice, and a handful of others that I have bookmarked. Given time I could probably put forth a short list of companies that I trust with my money, and my well being - since my purchase will likely be mounted to a bike I'll be riding.

I have something against buying parts that are TOO cheaply made. When you're cruising down a busy street at near 30 mph, you don't want to be wondering about the quality of an important part.

14. halfevil333

halfevil333 New Member

I've broken grade 5 and better studs due to improper mounting, & I've had engines where Ive replaced nothing and never had a problem!!!

...install it right the first time, no more problems!
    -little things, like filing the flanges flat where the welds block your mounting hardware from mounting flush, using BLUE locktite to ensure "boo-boo-proof" installation during break-in, then stripping, cleaning, & re-mounting is a good method imho...

15. Cogswelln

Cogswelln New Member

i have a 66cc flying horse reg head, and a grubee 66cc slant head, the cylander casings are transferable they are basically the same engine just different stickers on them.

16. Cogswelln

Cogswelln New Member

an honestly i only dealt with bikeberry once about two years ago, and i have never had any problems with them.