Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Harry I have always liked this bike could this possibly be what your shooting for??
Dammnnn !! Harry I wish you'd get started on that build I'm kinda hoping you and DD will have a shoot out on the bikes(race)
As cool as that bike is, it isnt quite a BTR really. And ive always wanted a BTR, cant afford a $30,000 + bike. Even if DD or i build a BTR and dont register them they will still look cool in our manrooms and theres still regular car shows to attend, or perhaps even do trackdays at a flattrack or race circuit. I have both these style of tracks within 20 minutes drive.

I know some may think we are crazy to build a bike that has very limited use, but you wouldnt question us if we bought an original Indian BTR, which couldnt be registered, nor would it have the same sentimental value.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd...We had a situation here in my state and it was a problem in other states of Australia 1983 where the DMV was not going to register any modified vehicles unless they were factory built...I was a steering committee for 4 years trying to get home built vehicals..hot rods..kit cars recognized.....we had to concede to some ridiculous rules to get our vehicles reconised...its still the same today and people who administer for clubs will not take the risk of being prosecuted for not sticking to the book...there is no way you can argue with the DMV here.....this is why we have an engineers reports this covers what you have stated about integrity of welds and general engineering of the build...each engineer has a human factor...what one will accept another wont and this can be a serious problem if you have to change the engineer during the build ..the certificate can cost up to $3000....the bike losses what it represents with what is required for registration...I am happy to ride it on back roads and the beach..and take it to a few shows....if someone wanted it I would sell it and build another...spend a bit of time trying to find a real V twin engine....DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The question really is, riding them, where? and when? and we have our WOW'S over here too, the cops don't exactly sit down and have a cup of tea and conversate with ya over here. as a matter of fact today I was comming home from the hard ware store and actually saw a motorcycle cop get off his bike and push a stranded motorist into a gas station,this is something almost un heard of in America a cop actually helping someone insted of shooting someone, I haven't seen that in about 25YRS I was AMAZED

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Some one would be hard pressed to find an engineering fault with your bike DD, if you hit a brick wall I'll bet you could still drive that baby away from it, everything is top notch on your build.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
hi truckd...The police are the last people I am worried about...its the "FUN POLICE" that are a worry..to many do good-ers peeping through the blinds..just waiting to %#$@ your day up...theres no privacy with cel phones and cameras built into them these days.....I live in rural area so back roads are easy to use and the beach is about 25 mins away and nobody uses it as it black sand and swampy...but very hard and great for biking on...DD

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hi truckd...We had a situation here in my state and it was a problem in other states of Australia 1983 where the DMV was not going to register any modified vehicles unless they were factory built...I was a steering committee for 4 years trying to get home built vehicals..hot rods..kit cars recognized.....we had to concede to some ridiculous rules to get our vehicles reconised...its still the same today and people who administer for clubs will not take the risk of being prosecuted for not sticking to the book...there is no way you can argue with the DMV here.....this is why we have an engineers reports this covers what you have stated about integrity of welds and general engineering of the build...each engineer has a human factor...what one will accept another wont and this can be a serious problem if you have to change the engineer during the build ..the certificate can cost up to $3000....the bike losses what it represents with what is required for registration...I am happy to ride it on back roads and the beach..and take it to a few shows....if someone wanted it I would sell it and build another...spend a bit of time trying to find a real V twin engine....DD
Daredvil, sorry to go even further off topic for a second, but speaking of finding a real V-Twin engine, but i thought id share a recent discovery. I was unaware of the existance of these engines (you may have seen them), Howard are a brand of engines used on vintage rotary hoes. They make a sidevalve engine, the Howard Junior. But they also make a Howard 8 and a Howard 12. The Howard 12 was a a huge watercooled V-Twin, quite ugly and not really ideal for our application. But the Howard 8 is a smaller (still big) V-Twin and is one of the nicest engines ive seen, similar to a 20's Harley engine.

Not sure quite how rare or expensive the Howard 8 is yet, but complete running Howard Junior rotary hoes can be had for around $300 on Ebay. Im definitely going to be reguarly looking for a Howard 8 rotary hoe. It would make the coolest BTR and very authentic looking. Just thought id share. Heres a pic

http://www.howardregister.com/Images/Image-88.jpg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Daredvil, sorry to go even further off topic for a second, but speaking of finding a real V-Twin engine, but i thought id share a recent discovery. I was unaware of the existance of these engines (you may have seen them), Howard are a brand of engines used on vintage rotary hoes. They make a sidevalve engine, the Howard Junior. But they also make a Howard 8 and a Howard 12. The Howard 12 was a a huge watercooled V-Twin, quite ugly and not really ideal for our application. But the Howard 8 is a smaller (still big) V-Twin and is one of the nicest engines ive seen, similar to a 20's Harley engine.

Not sure quite how rare or expensive the Howard 8 is yet, but complete running Howard Junior rotary hoes can be had for around $300 on Ebay. Im definitely going to be reguarly looking for a Howard 8 rotary hoe. It would make the coolest BTR and very authentic looking. Just thought id share. Heres a pic

http://www.howardregister.com/Images/Image-88.jpg
Well, that's sure got a vintage look! What kind of power output would that have? Is that a transmission linked to it?
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
It may have a transmission hooked up to it but you wouldnt be able to see it if it did. Im not sure what you are referring to?

I believe the Howard 8 was a 8HP and the Howard 12 was a 12 HP engine.

Here is a Howard 8 rotary hoe

http://images.powerhousemuseum.com/images/zoomify/TLF_mediums/62419.jpg

I think its an ideal engine for our needs and best of all its an Australian engine. Maybe Daredevil is interested and keep an eye out down in Melbourne area. Would make one very cool and unique ride with a great backstory to go along with it.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Wouldn't it be nice if you could get every oficial to ride a hot rod and get hooked a whole new begening would take place. I know its easy to think but hard to do...................Curt

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Harry...I am aware of the Howard...I got a J.A.P..sidevalve V twin of one about 30 years ago it ran real nice...I was going to use it in a rear engine open wheel race car for hill climbing ..but never got around to it ..sold it to a farmer to run a dam pump......They are still around just takes a little looking around old market gardner farms...the Howard had different models with all size motors depending on the size of the machine...DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Curt....Have tried that...they live in a different world...what a lot of people dont realize here in our state that ... all modified vehicles could be wiped out with just a stroke of a pen from the government....hot rods..street machines..bikers.. are a dirty word in the eyes of the majority of voters...They definitely dont know how to have fun.....DD

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi Curt....Have tried that...they live in a different world...what a lot of people dont realize here in our state that ... all modified vehicles could be wiped out with just a stroke of a pen from the government....hot rods..street machines..bikers.. are a dirty word in the eyes of the majority of voters...They definitely dont know how to have fun.....DD
To bad if they only knew what the were missing...........Curt

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .... The forks needed the inner tubes trimmed so the rods that actuate the suspension have clearance inside the forks and wheels..so I have trimmed 1/3 off the fork tube and reinforced it with 1/8" flat...shaped it around to fit the profile of the inner forks and welded it in...I have a clearance of 6-1/2" inside the forks...this will make the fork very rigid....I will clean them up to morrow....I will go to see the spring maker tomorrow and get him to make the spring...it will be 2" wide and should have 3 leaves.......probally take a week before I get it...DD

Attachments

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. Have set up the twist grips and made the lever rods...these are 3/16" silver steel shaft..had to cut to length and cut a 3/16" NF threads on each end....have used 3/16" size miniature ball joints for the pivot points...To set with all stainless clevis joins and rods was to expensive...be different it was a real replica worth big dollars....this will all work OK..had to set this up as I have to place two pivot points on the steering head tube...where another pair of levers have to link up with the handlebar set up and another set of 90 deg levers further down on the frame...DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd....No I havent ever built a bike like this before.....I just do a lot of research on what I'm going to do and have the finished project in my head..I can see what it should look like when its finished..and I dont change what I'm doing....I would just build another one down the track if its not the way I deemed it to be....Always played with cars...I like the idea of a bike as its easy to store...dosent take years to build..and easy on the budget.....DD