Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

latheboy

Jan 30, 2012
Melbourne Australia
This build is fantastic just like most of the others really.

I joined ages ago looking for someone in else Vic so I could at least get to see a BTR rep one day.

Dont want to sound like a stalker but I would love to see your bike DD.

And as for Reg, there is a way and i'm looking into it at the moment. I want a BTR as daily and will do what I need to do to get it.

The only problem is the frame, everything else is easy.

Great forum guys.

Ivan

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi..Have been mounting up the handlebar tubes...machined up the handlebar tubes as a tap in fit onto the fork top tubes and these will be hold the handlebars in place with two 5/8" NF bolts...have machined two solid nuts that are 5/8"NF X 1 1/2" long that have been press fitted down the fork tubes..I cut 4 slots in the top of the fork tubes and welded the solid nuts into the fork tube....The center tube is to keep the head bearing nut tight ...it will have washer shims for the bearing nut distance to stop it from coming loose....DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi latheboy...You need to have a plan in your head...When I build something I know exactly what it will look like when its finished and I dont change anything as I'm building...""SO"...you need to work out exactly what you want to build...Research....Planing...photos....frame type...engine cc...and how you are going to get around the ADR's and registration laws if you want to ride it on the road....Have a great build.....DD

latheboy

Jan 30, 2012
Melbourne Australia
I know all about design and planning and manufacturing, it's my job..
I'll be buying a single cylinder dirt bike that i can reg (Wr450/CRF450/XR/XT/DR etc) and do a frame mod.
Frame mods are easier to get an engineers on compared to a one off frame.
Not that easy but it's not impossible.

If it's older than 25 years old you can get club reg (cheap) and don't need all the bells and whistles that full reg bikes have to have.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I know all about design and planning and manufacturing, it's my job..
I'll be buying a single cylinder dirt bike that i can reg (Wr450/CRF450/XR/XT/DR etc) and do a frame mod.
Frame mods are easier to get an engineers on compared to a one off frame.
Not that easy but it's not impossible.

If it's older than 25 years old you can get club reg (cheap) and don't need all the bells and whistles that full reg bikes have to have.
I could be wrong but I think you will find that club rego doesn't exclude you from all the bells and whistles, aka the road rules. You will still need full fenders, primary and secondary chain guides and lots more. It's the same reason hot rod owners on club rego are still required to have full fenders.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I really wish I was wrong, I really do. And I'm not trying to discourage you at all, it's just hard to build a legal road registered BTR. Because all the things that make a BTR a BTR are illegal on the road. You could probably however build a nice vintage style bike but it wouldn't be a BTR by definition.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
There's a guy in Australia that built a Triumph style BTR that I'm guessing is somewhat legal, I'll post pics tommorrow as I'm at work ATM.

Maybe we should start a thread in the law section or maybe you could start a thread and discuss it further there if you'd like, as I'd hate to hijack DD's thread.... Unless he doesn't mind and finds this relevant.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Here is the picture i was referring to earlier.

While it is a very very cool bike, it is obviously built with a board track influence, but you can see the tradeoffs he obviously had to make to get it legal. Note the full exhaust and muffler, full rear guard and small front guard needed for rego.

Im not 100% sure what the club rego excludes as far as what you need for rego, but im pretty sure the license plate isnt legally mounted (needs to be more vertical???), it would need indicators, and they have to be a certain distance apart (im not sure hand signals are legal??). You cant see it in this photo but he doesnt have a chain guard either.

http://www.livetoride.com.au/sites/default/files/_LMR0858.jpg

I posted this pic here in case Daredevil was interested in having a look. Latheboy i would love to see what ideas you have as the idea of a BTR road registered interests me greatly as well. Just not sure how achievable it is in Australia. Maybe we should continue this chat over on one of your threads.

Last edited:

latheboy

Jan 30, 2012
Melbourne Australia
I haven't got any threads going yet, i'm still in the "Wow I'm excited" stage :)

Your link is dead Harry.

I'll go through the paper work I have so far and post it up.

Sorry for the Hijack DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Harry...I'm OK with the registration topic as I would like to use the club rego but my engine doesn't qualify for the 25 year cut off...be easy to find an old frame and use its chassis # I wouldn't care what the brand was...seen a lot of rusty frames at swap meets which would meet the existing protocol for club reg...but then there is the club itself if it would recognize it as the original bike....there are a lot of self appointed so called experts in clubs that have the say on behalf of the government if it was to qualify for the registralaion......DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ...Have cut the stays for the forks...have made up a dummy spring for the spring maker...will go and see him during next week....once I get the spring ..I will drill the mounting holes fro the studs that will retain the spring in place...the handlebars are tight tap on fit...not far off brazing them together...the spring actuator rod from the axle rocker will be heavy wall 5/8" tube...I was going to use 1/2" seamless alkaline pipe but the price was ridiculous...$38.00 a meter...I cant make this until I get the spring and get it fitted...it needs to sit in a certain position "length" on the axle rocker so it can rotate about 60 deg....DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
It is original! do you know of any other like it out there? with the same identical aray of parts, fabrication methods and technical spec's? it is the only engine the frame has ever known or held in it, also original to the bike, all other parts and componants even though they may have came from other cycles are also original to your bike and build, except the year, make & model and all that is up to you my friend.
Mark with identification #'s all matching! frame,forks, engine and all other necessary parts.

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd....Wish it was that easy....Here in Australia ..the government is a Westminster system..look any where in the world where this system is used..usally have been British colonies...they all follow each other the way they govern the country...You Guys in the US dont know how easy you have got it in most of you states....Modifing any thing with wheels and is motor powered here is a dirty word and when you do it requires to comply with ADRS...enginers certificate and then its up the DMV discretion if they will accept it...DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Still I believe it is an arguable situation,nothing has been modified from it's original fabrication done by you, if the integritty of the welds are in question take it to a licensed and cerified welder and get the welds approved,other then lights & fenders take it to the Highway Patrol (if you all have such a dept) and get a road worthy approval and as long as you meet all of Australia's criterea it should be an obtainable arguemental point and with DMV it is to describe ORIGINAL! I don't believe there will be much dispute after that is established, yha it might be time consuming but Damnn you seriously aren't building it to sit and look at are you?
Man here in America there is an old saying "Where there is a will, there is a way!" far shot, is there an out of state you can get it registered

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey Harry I have always liked this bike could this possibly be what your shooting for??
Dammnnn !! Harry I wish you'd get started on that build I'm kinda hoping you and DD will have a shoot out on the bikes(race)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Harry...I'm OK with the registration topic as I would like to use the club rego but my engine doesn't qualify for the 25 year cut off...be easy to find an old frame and use its chassis # I wouldn't care what the brand was...seen a lot of rusty frames at swap meets which would meet the existing protocol for club reg...but then there is the club itself if it would recognize it as the original bike....there are a lot of self appointed so called experts in clubs that have the say on behalf of the government if it was to qualify for the registralaion......DD
Im lucky in that respect, as my brother help runs a car club, and my sister and law is the secretary and is the one that signs the letters comfirming vehicle details etc. It made putting my Valiant on club rego extremely easy.

So i think id find it a little easier then most to get the letter from a club confirming rego, but then im in the same boat as everyone else as far as things needed for rego, correct me if im wrong, but club rego doesnt exclude my bike from lights, indicators and chain guards, does it?????

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Still I believe it is an arguable situation,nothing has been modified from it's original fabrication done by you, if the integritty of the welds are in question take it to a licensed and cerified welder and get the welds approved,other then lights & fenders take it to the Highway Patrol (if you all have such a dept) and get a road worthy approval and as long as you meet all of Australia's criterea it should be an obtainable arguemental point and with DMV it is to describe ORIGINAL! I don't believe there will be much dispute after that is established, yha it might be time consuming but Damnn you seriously aren't building it to sit and look at are you?
Man here in America there is an old saying "Where there is a will, there is a way!" far shot, is there an out of state you can get it registered
It really isnt that easy, its exactly like DD was saying, over here in OZ "Modifing any thing with wheels and is motor powered here is a dirty word", and they make it hard on us.