Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. Well I was into it again...had to cut the grooves for the throttle and clutch pivots into the lower side of the handlebars..Used an end mill to do this..machined a pair sleeves for them in the lathe....welded them in and will clean them up tommorow...Have machined the slots in the twist grips..these will keep the tubes in place on the handle bars and restrict the twist to 90deg rotation...these will be held in place with a 5mm role pin....I dont know whether I will use rubber grips or bind it with original cotton tape...this was done in the milling machine with a rotary table with a chuck fitted to it...the rotary table is mounted vertical on the main mill table...as inferred the rotary table has a crank worm drive on it and it rotates 360 degres...it also has a separate part to hold the work piece called a stock...need this to hold work piece in a horizontal position....with the cutting tool in a fixed position..the work piece can be rotated and cut the slot...the easy way out is just cut it with the 4" grinder ...this has got to be a bit more precision as I dont want the twist grip binding or even jambing.....DD

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME! TOTALYAWESOME! Just can't get enough of this. Sure wish I would of bought a end mill years ago but will figure out how to do some of this without. THANKS for all the good photos and explanations going to save all this for up comeing build............Curt

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Curt..Great you are enjoying the build.....Have been making the levers for the inner handle bars...these are just rough cut and need to be filed to finish to shape...need to have these made as its all part of putting the forks together.....DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. Have finished filing the throttle and clutch levers...these will have 1/2" shafts to mount on through the handle bar pivot will braze a boss on the back lever and pin it with a roll pin...DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi..Had to move a few things in the store shed where I have the frame jig...so while all the bike parts were out I done a quick mock up..its just all hanging there...engine needs to go 2" and the tank need to up 1 1/2" at the back..top of the forks need to cut to right height....still need to make a few parts for the forks....but thats about how it will look....DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
WOWSER!!! It's looking very good, will this bike be registered as street legal or not? I could just imagine the looks on peoples faces as you drive by

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
WOWSER!!! It's looking very good, will this bike be registered as street legal or not? I could just imagine the looks on peoples faces as you drive by
Good question Trukd. I will await DD's answer to this question, but I would be willing to bet that there is little to no chance of getting a bike like this registered, and even less chance of actually riding it on the road without major hassles from the police here in Australia..... That's why I'm soooo envious when I see you U.S guys freely riding your motorized bikes and especially builds like Lurkers being registered. You guys are sooooooo lucky.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The one BUMMER! about riding in the America's is the cops will pull you over just for the **** of it, in they're eyes they don't need a reason,got a ticket for doing 43 in a 25 mph zone cost me $360.oo and the way the cop burned rubber out of the parking lot to get behind me was real Hollywood and the speed limit sign was a 1/4 mile the opposite direction from where I turned onto the street. well there goe's some very needed build $$ but getting back to the registration thing why couldn't you buy an old crapped out bike and totally rebuild & redesign it then re-register it?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I don't wanna hijack DD's thread, but even if you were to "get it registered" the police would pull you over immediately for things like No front guard etc.

You guys in the states drive your Hot Rods around fender less, but if you look at most hot rods from Australia have fenders, if they don't they most likely aren't driven or the fenders are taken off for a photoshoot..... Or it's just a matter of time before they are caught.

A proper BTR with no front fender, shortened rear fender would be next to impossible to ride around and not be hassled, at least where I am from..... Maybe DD has other ideas, if so I'd love to hear them.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. Harry...truckd....There is no way ever to get this bike so it could be ridden on the road here in Australia..it would require to comply with Australian Design Rules....a engineers report...Then it would require lights.. fenders...chain guard..ect...ect...would loose the hole concept of the bike....I will ride it on the beach or back country roads...take it to bike shows...I'm more into the build than riding it...there are a lot states in the US now that are making things very hard to drive hot rods and bikes like this...this bike wouldn't even be able to get club plates because of the year of the engine was manufactured.....DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi...Have had a buzy afternoon playing with the forks...they are tacked together in the fork jig...so I could bend the front tubes and get the slip tubes the right size that hold the top of the forks in place....this is held together with two 3/4"NF down the main fork tubes...I will machine two press fit threaded plugs which will press into the top of the fork tubes...the handlebars will have machined tubes welded to them....that will slide over the fork tubes and held in place with two 3/4" bolts...there is another tube in the center of the handlebars which locks the head nut in place...this is held with a 5/8" bolt...will try to desribe the build process as I'm building the forks....DD

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Where are you from again Daredevil? Will any of the carshows you will attend be in Queensland? Id love to see this bike one day. Keep up the good work.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Harry...Im in Victoria....but I will see you at the Australian Street Rod Federation Nationals..... Easter 2013 at Southport....DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Boy you Ausie Guy's build a heck of a bike!! maybe I should have you guys (DD & harry) build me a bike, NICE! forks, Nice! build
Harry how's the baby? and when are you going to get to your build ?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
You are absolutely right! thats why I have 4 going on, currently is my 1911 Indian featured on the thread "Blood Thursty" but it has been slow because I had to waite for the littllest the part but now that it's here so back to the work bench.
I do like your bike!!