Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Detailing the engine has to be the most intrakit part of the build and it looks very good !so far, will you replace the Yamaha logo?

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd...I will be doing something with the logo...I dont want to machine off as this is where the oil filter is behind it...might make it a fraction to thin....no doubt I will find something to cover it with...maybe a small belt buckle with a wheel and wings?????

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ...Dont want to spend to much time nit picking detail...just so long as it works and looks presentable ..that my cup cake.....Have been dithering around with a small paint brush ..painting the cylinders black with heat proof paint....I was going to spray paint it ..but with all the masking and general f*%#ing around it was easer to just hand paint it...has filled in the afternoon....just have to make my mind up what to do with the heads....DD

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Now that would be a good idea, you might even go to a trophy making and see if the could ingrave something for you, just a thought and I like the black too!

Jul 23, 2012
East Palestine, Ohio, USA
How about welding in the letters and then machining or sanding it back off. You could do it yourself with a propane torch and some of that low temp aluminum solder. I have fixed a bunch of stuff with it. Or you could take it to a pro and have him TIG it in.

Mikednut

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Mike...Thanks.....Yes I had thought of that ...I have have the alloy rods for doing this work..not really high on the agenda at the moment....probally be when its put together and running it will be one of those I'll do it latter jobs......DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi.... Have finished cleaning up the engine....I finished up painting just the very top of the head with grey hammertone paint..looks just like dull alloy....Im happy with it.....DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I think with all your talent you should make a copper replacement plate for the Yamaha thingy, maybe ingrave an X on it, the engine looks good!

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi...Started to assemble the bike for the final time hopefully...the photos dont give the light green paint much justice...I will post a couple... the rest will be in my album...for those who dont know how to get into the album...click onto my user name ..Profile.. albums should be on the right hand side...click onto album..these should be done a little later today.....DD

Attachments

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd...I have had that in mind...spin up a 3" cup like a magento cover....Have to go and buy some 3" alloy round stock...I can machine it to the size I want and engrave it in the milling machine X...........DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Nice! Nice! Very nice! I think the copper would blend some vintage appeal into the bike with a couple of brass screws, can't go wrong

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd..have a copper and brass cylinder pump and brass cheese head screws on the left side tank...the oil lifter pump is made out of these metals...so it could be a go... to even each side...also the handlebar levers are brass.....DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi... Have ordered a Caswell nickle plating kit for the throttle and magneto setup...probally be a week or so before I get it....I still need to do a little welding and linishing to the handlebar cranks..should be all buttoned up by the time the kit arrives....DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi... Have another pic of the assembly....this was late in the afternoon.....its been 37c thats about 98f today...been like that for the last couple of weeks...could be 38c tomorrow....looking for a break in the weather by friday....unsually long blast of hot days this time of the year as it is autum here.....DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ...Just finish printing off decal transfers.....have wait for a day for them to dry and spray them with a clear lacquer to water proof them...these were hard to find..most pics were on an angle..not close enough or didn't have good color defination...I had to recolor the round decal ....I've used a clear decal transfer A4 sheet that I found on !bay and used my computer printer for print work...once I clear lacquer the decal and let it dry ..just put it in water for 30 seconds and its ready to slide off onto the frame or tank........DD

Attachments