Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Top notch stuff DD. Cleaning up the welds is worst part of a build like this, at least if you are as anal as I am. I literally spent almost an entire month smoothing every weld.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Ludwig II....Thought about it ..this a small V twin and theres not much room between cylinders....Will stick to the one carby ..looks more the era.. DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Lurker....Its an unforgiving job as you well know... You think its all done and have another look and see places that need to touched up.. both with weld and file..DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
DD you haven't posted anything in the last couple of days you must be busy! bet the camera card is getting filled up too!
Hope!! everything is going your way!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
OOOOHHHHH!!!!! Man thats where it all shows your supurb talents!! no joke you are one bad @$$ builder, ever think about moving to america? Hint, Hint

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi...truckd....You would have many people that live within a mile radious of where you live.that can do anything I can...you just need to find them....DD

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. have been making a manifold and mounting plate for the pz30 side draft carby to replace the original 25mm downdraft type....was going to make a full 1 piece manifold but have to use a flexible type because of the movement between the two cylinders....I will replace the old one as I think it has a heat crack in it....probally have to make a steady mount for the steel manifold to the frame.....DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The only guy in a Mile radious of me is me (LOL!) when I walk into the Harley Davidson Motorcycle Dealership and go to the parts counter their reply (and knowledge of an antique motorcyle) is limited to about 1947-1950, when you inlighten them with a little history their jaw drops and the sy's of DAAAHHHH! seem to slowly come out of their mouth and then suddenly there is a person on the phone who's been holding for a long time and they have to get back to them.
It really is kinda Hilarious and then again It feels good to know I'm the only guy within a mile of me who knows about this stuff is me

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd....What luck you have....no nosy neighbours.....Have the same trouble here with spare parts...usually young girls 18-20 behind the counter dont even know what day it is ......DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. Done a little more on the manifold...just a small trick... used a socket to hold backing plate in place while tacking into place...will braze weld the carby end plate...the other end is a machined end with a 3mm grouve in it which holds the manifold in place when clamped up on the orignal flexable manifold...just run the Mig around this....DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Got a guy from england who lives around the corner and he mess's with well older Triumph's, he has a brand new Robins egg blue 850 super I believe and it is beautiful, I've never talked to him just driven by when I leave the house and his drive is full of those Triumph's,one day I'll stop and talk to him.
By the way nice job I like it!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I'd also like to see more about this golden brown bike as well can you get more pic's and info about it? sorry DD I love your bike so don't feel like we're traders, did you ever come up with a decal decision for the big X ?

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Guys....Good to see someone else has usd the XV250 motor.....looks a treat....this motor is also available in 125cc in Britain and Europe .... same outside dimensions...DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Been working on the front forks....finishing the machine work on the centering spacers and mounting grade 8 bolts and bronze bushs...just have to drill a few cotter pin holes for the castle nuts...these all have brass preloaded washes each side so the rocker mechanisms slop can be adjusted....pretty happy with it...sits where it should be....just about ready for dismantle and paint....DD

Attachments