Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Might I make a recomendation for the bicycle part of the bike,go to my thread and check out the Renthal Chainwheels, solid,good looking vintage mechanical appeal and come in a varity tooth qauntity, you can go line and look them up they would look Sweet on your bike and if my memeory serve's me correct they are made in England they are made of High Strength7075-t6 aluminum, cnc machined hardened and anodized here is the link www.renthalcycling.com check em out they are also made for one peice cranks but if that presents a problem you can always modify them for your needs

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd.....Great photo....I was just looking through a thread on J/J....had about the same era hill climb with Harleys and what ever...the climb looked like 60 deg from the top..dont think many made it up there...DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ...Still had a little bit to do on the stand...welded some gussets into the bottom..fits nice into frame horns on the mount step bolts...spent about 1/2 hr with the flapper disk cleaning up....shoot some primer over it latter...DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi .. Painted the bike stand...doesn't take much with enamel straight out of the tin....spray a couple of light tack coats and open the gun and a good heavy coat to finish...Would have liked to used 2 pac but the clear finish is to glossy...these bikes would have been hand painted of dipped into a paint tank and hung on wire to dry...The flat edges on this will lend itself to some nice pinstripe.......DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd...Be even better when its all cleaned up for paint...at least the bronze weld is soft and files off a lot easer than grinding down steel welds....I have missed the under neath of the front two brace's...weld them up in the morning.....DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Got carried away with the top did ya.
Here is some pic's to keep ya motivated, don't know what there run'n and looks like that guy is tired of waiting. I've seen a lot of vintage pic's but not these.

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd.....Thanks for the pics...I have seen them before.....the wall looks awsum behind those 4 riders ..I use to ride Velodrome wood track in the early 50's,for three years...I've just sold my bike last year to a collector...had been hanging in the shed all that time and went a bit rusty....DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Mike....I personally wouldn't use the MIG on the forks....maybe Tig....or stick weld....would need a 240Volt 250A MIG using 1.3mm or more size wire to get a good penetration into the 1/2" thick fork hoop..Even then I would only use it in the middle of the night to make sure I have the best voltage coming through the wall socket....I've seen home based MIG welds on thick steel..good hit with a 3 lb hammer and it falls apart..or it will be very brittle and crack and you wont be able to see it..only way to make it penetrate is to pre-heat with oxy...I never weld anything over 1/8" with a Mig... I like your avatar....DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd....When I was track racing it was on a bicycle on a wood velodrome...there was another track which is now covered with a freeway and it was concrete but only shallow banked corners.....I was 13 -15...always ran middle of the field as I was skinny and a bit shorter than kids of my own age at that time....I had a good quality track bike..the photo of the bike is when I sold it recently to a collector...It didnt have the original crank set as my oldest son was going to have a go at racing in his teens...We couldnt buy a new block chain at the time so we changed the chain wheel and crank set..other wise thats the way it was in 1954....DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
DD.... that is a cool Pic and story,two wheels and some history thats what has led us to the point we're at now, I love it!!! I had a Schwinn String Ray in 1966, we were'nt rich so it had to last,ten yrs later I got a new Schwinn 10spd Varsity for Christmas I kept it so clean that 10 yrs later my dad bought it back from me for the price he originally paid , he moved to Indiana (for a minute) and someone stole it.
My Dad has always had and restored vintage cars, those two things are what got me building bikes well that and I never could afford those B*tchen cars that he has

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2012
East Palestine, Ohio, USA
DD

I understand why you did it that way. My home unit is a 220 Volt machine. I also have access to full blown commercial machines at work. Being a welding teacher I do know how to lay down a proper looking bead that will hold and last. I admire the work of many on the forum. However I have cringed seeing the work of some. No finger pointing going on. I have seen many ugly welds hold up far better than I could ever have imagined.

About the tat, thanks! I drew it myself and then had a local tattoo artist ink it on me. He said he gets very few who design their own. So I guess it is truly one of a kind.