Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
Damn that is a nice bike! Have you got a link or more pictures as I'd love to check it out a little better?
Truckd, Culver, Harry - It appeared in a German magazine "Custombike" - which I now subscribe to.

I'll scan some more pix and post in due course. My Photobucket account has been playing up the past few days - need to resolve that.

What is more amazing is that the builder is only in his 20's and built it for under 1000 euros !

This German mag. covers all genres of "Specials" - Cafe Racers, Bobbers, Cruisers, Boardtrackers, ....................., and oh yes, my German is nicht gut !

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Rather than highjack your thread I'll post other "inspirational" pix over on my cafe Creme build thread. However as requested here's another of "Golden Brown".

As I'm - shall we say - generously proportioned [ big boned my Mum used to say ] - a bike of this size which would normally give the Gorilla on a pit bike image if I were to build one. However, that probably equates proportionally to a less "big boned" person on a bicycle with an engine styled Boardtracker !

Either way - my radar's out for a 250 Virago ..................

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Lifan sell a version of it about £1,000, and they also do a 400 Viagro shaft driver as well.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
And do it have to be a Yam? Various Hondas are about, and best HD mickey take of all, they do an industrial pushrod v twin, just like B&S and Kohler.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
And do it have to be a Yam? Various Hondas are about, and best HD mickey take of all, they do an industrial pushrod v twin, just like B&S and Kohler.
Main reason for going down the Yamaha route is tht I have 4 donors in my garage ! One will be the basis for my 60's Brit Bike styled Cafe Racer [ along Vincent lines ] and one other for Cafe Creme.

That still leaves 2 - one I will probably sell to raise funds for the other projects - the other. I'm still toying with the idea of a Boardtracker chair - along the lines of the "Union" Bike. I have a pal in Germany who makes replicas of the Stoye chair - the Mk1 at the moment, but I've talked him into making a rep of the Mk2 [ with the ribbed nose ].

As to the smaller bike - I really admire the looks and enginuity of the smaller bicycle Boardtrackers, but as I said, it would be cruelty in the extreme to ask one to pull me along. That leaves a physically small V twin with the scope for plenty of reasonably priced donors and spares. Comes back to the 250 Virago. Unfortunately I don't know enough about modern [ to me ] bikes, so I'm not familiar with what other small capacity air cooled V Twins might be out there.

Maybe a thread with suitable donors and inspirational bikes ?

Apologies DD ......... will try to take this "shootin' the breeze" elsewhere'

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi....Ludwig II.....Beachcomber...The XV250 is a good little motor for this type of project....chain drive...output about 20HP..will fit into the opening in the frame considering it has a 5 speed gearbox attached to it for this sized bike frame era....using an original engine is prohibitive in cost and it you have a spare $15.000 you can buy a brand new repoduction J.A.P. 880 V twin....Greg Somerton in South Australia makes this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkG270ykF9M&feature=relmfu
and here is another from Cameron Engineering in England
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxzCTAnwPW4&feature=related
both of them will raize the hair on the back of you neck....DD

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Beachcomber.....You need to have a look at the 535....I think it is mounted by the heads into the frame...I have seen a bare frame and there is front leading tube....DD

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Hi Beachcomber.....You need to have a look at the 535....I think it is mounted by the heads into the frame...I have seen a bare frame and there is front leading tube....DD
Yes the 535 is virtually the same mounting style as the TR1 [ 1000cc ].

Although the powertrain is a stressed member on both, on my Cafe Creme I intend to build a traditional cradle frame that will also use the head mounts - modified.

Biggest drawback of the 535 is the shaft drive, otherwise it would be perfect, and cheaper here than the 250 or 125 !

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Please tell me yours is going to have a similar sound, I closed my eyes and just listened to that *** kinda made my eye's tear a little,Dammmnnn! that is a Bad A$$ engine!!

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi.... Been playing with the lever mechanisms on the handle bars...had to put the forks into the frame to set up...think I have all the points right now and the lever lengths look good....theres plenty of travel in the lower pivots for the throttle and whatever I do with the left one....just need to machine up more brass shims for all the step bolts...DD

Attachments