eBike news and items of interest

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles' started by biknut, Apr 27, 2014.

1. kevyleven007

kevyleven007 Active Member

indian22 likes this.
  2. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

I ran across this on YouTube, I don't know a lot about E-bikes so thought I'd see if anyone thinks this is possible.

indian22 likes this.
  3. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

Greg that's an interesting video. 9 kw equals a touch over 12 hp. That 12 hp when driven through a proper gearbox in small motorcycles, less than 250 lbs., often result in top speed of mid 70 mph. I too am an e bike neophyte and can't speak to his e-motive components, but that frame and bicycle running gear are a bad joke. If he intends to continue "lift's of the wheel" and runs 40 mph plus daily he should spend some serious effort in strengthening the frame and upgrading components. I don't dislike his build, but I fear it's fundamentally unsafe at high speeds.
    I've run two of my I.C.E. bikes well into the 70's, momentarily, on a couple of short pulls and got away with it. I re-packed the bicycle wheel bearings a few days later and all was good, but there wasn't a lot of lube remaining on the bearings and races either and that taught me a lesson. [My test runs were not on public streets, but were conducted on an airport apron, wearing safety gear. I also had observers & help in attendance during each of these pulls]
    The old board track racers did much and fast on early bicycle technology, but compared to our steel, rubber etc. the stuff they used was greatly inferior and many racing injuries & deaths resulted. I'd advise against motorcycle speeds on bicycle tech for the streets. Organized racing on closed tracks deals with a whole different level of bike preparation, advanced skill sets, rules and safety equipment. all directed towards a dedicated purpose, safe racing, and shouldn't be confused with everyday riders and riding.

Rick C.

#143 indian22, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    biknut likes this.
  4. biknut

biknut Well-Known Member

That's about a 30 mph bike. That's all the frame is good for. Think about the forces involved taking a curve at just 50 mph with good street tires, and a car on both sides of your bike.

indian22 likes this.
  5. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

If a guy here in Georgia built it he would have said “Hey Y’all watch this” !

indian22 likes this.
  6. biknut

biknut Well-Known Member

Power is easy to make, but if you want motorcycle speeds you need a frame with motorcycle strength, and suspension. Most people understand power, better than chassis dynamics.

Tony01 and fasteddy like this.
  7. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

I agree, I ride my bikes at 30mph and below, normally at 25 to 26. I've had motorcycles of all types and sizes, now at my age I like to enjoy the sights rather than flash by them. 40+ on a stock bike is not for me.

fasteddy and biknut like this.
  8. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

indian22 likes this.
  9. indian22

Kinda' like you might think Ducati would design a basic naked e-bike...bobbed....I also like!

Rick C.

fasteddy likes this.
  10. biknut

biknut Well-Known Member

That's me too. Motorcycles all my life, but my fatty is a 26 mph bike, and I have just as much fun riding it as any other bike I've owned.

[​IMG]

indian22 and Greg58 like this.
  11. indian22

I just came in from running errands all morning on my 48 v.1 KW fat tire & I'm really enjoying it and my 36 v. 500 watt mountain bike for daily riding. Since I'm new to e-bikes I'm just enjoying the ride, but it's been all positive with both hub motored bikes.

Rick C.

12. Tony01

Tony01 Well-Known Member

Because the dirt bike looking frames are cheaper to manufacture. The sheet metal frame and battery box are one thus saving added expense of a custom box. It could be built however the problem lies in design, making a frame with all the features of current ebike frames with curves like a fat bottomed girl.

indian22 likes this.