eBike news and items of interest

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Otero lot of us old guys on the forum and glad to see you up on pedals. I've two straight electrics and one fuel/electric hybrid. On the pure electrics I pedal if I'm moving, for the exercise, and often don't use the electric, except for real inclines, on my fat tie single speed. Of course my mountain e-bike doesn't require the e-motor at all. I use straight throttle on each of them rather than the pedal assist sensor so I can instantly select the mode I want.

I really like the bike you selected. It looks great and the price/performance is impressive. I looked up the Aspen and it looks the part too.

Have fun and welcome to the forum.

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Why can't more e-motorcycles look like this? It was cobbled together by some ex-employees of Alta, the e-motorcycle company. I'd ride the snot out of it.

I earlier commented on this bike, which I like, and I'd add my take on most of the smaller power e-motorcycles being sold. Are they just marketing to motocross enthusiasts or teen agers? Mile high attitude and tiny wheels. I've got nothing against any of the afore mentioned, but on the street they look ridiculous. My opinion" actual adults don't like them and won't buy them.

If any of you over thirties ride your gas or electrics on the street, think about what it says about you. Young folks I'm not talking to you....just have fun, I did.

Rick C.
http://www.bikeexif.com/electric-flat-tracker

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
There's a relatively new eBike that's been out for about 2 years, that I wasn't very impressed by when they first came out but, after doing a little research the last few days it looks like it's the next big "Thing". In popularity it's like an electric Ruckus, of Grom. It's made by Sur Ron. The first model was called a Fire Fly, and the newest model is the Light Bee. There's already an impressive aftermarket springing up supporting it. Knowing what I know now, if this bike was available 5 years ago when I bought my Stealth, it would be a tough decision considering it's almost as fast, and costs substantially less than half what a Bomber costs. The biggest problem with it is it normally doesn't come with pedals, although an optional pedal assembly is offered, but it looks like junk. The newest model, a LBX goes 45mph out of the box, on 60v 31ah. Weighs 110 lbs. They cost about $4000 shipped.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Those are some nice specs at that price point Bikenut and I don't dislike the sculpted frame, though I prefer your Stealth's styling the price difference is a no brainer and if it's gaining traction in aftermarket offers I'd think it's proving dependable. First take I'm impressed.

Rick C.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The surron is okay. Just okay. It isn’t super fast, it’s good off-road, it’s got budget electronics and a golden motor 3 or 5kw mid drive motor. And it’s a lot smaller than it looks. I think the ebike frames make a better bike.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The surron is okay. Just okay. It isn’t super fast, it’s good off-road, it’s got budget electronics and a golden motor 3 or 5kw mid drive motor. And it’s a lot smaller than it looks. I think the ebike frames make a better bike.
Tony would you elaborate on why you feel the e-bike frames are a better platform for electric biking (not full blown e-cycles) ped-electric capable & ranging up to say 10kw power? I'm just looking for insight and not controversy and as you know I'm developing my own opinions as I learn more.

Rick C.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Tony would you elaborate on why you feel the e-bike frames are a better platform for electric biking (not full blown e-cycles) ped-electric capable & ranging up to say 10kw power? I'm just looking for insight and not controversy and as you know I'm developing my own opinions as I learn more.

Rick C.
I just feel like it’s better to start with components better suited to what you need. The ebike frames are built around the bottom bracket, seat, and handlebars much like a bicycle, and typically for hub motors which are easier to pedal than a (non-freewheeling) mid drive. I could see myself buying a surron if it was bigger and had more powerful components or possibly, no components. I’m a big guy. I know I looked big on my 212er. Surron is just a little toy motorcycle in my mind, that’s all. Not really legal, doesn’t look like a bicycle, doesn’t pedal like one, not fast enough to be a motorcycle...

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Tony. I also like more size in a frame though I'm only 6' & 170lb. I feel awkward on my smallest bike a 24" Schwinn straight bar style and though it's fun to ride I've not ridden it for more than a year. I do plan on changing it to a 26" but the frame itself seems small and a bit cramped. So I'm sure the Surron would feel really tiny. Of course I also like my pedals, I understand they are available options for some of these small e-cycles, though none of my current bikes can be considered legal without tags. I build with pedals and often use them, but that's just me.

Rick C.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Tony. I also like more size in a frame though I'm only 6' & 170lb. I feel awkward on my smallest bike a 24" Schwinn straight bar style and though it's fun to ride I've not ridden it for more than a year. I do plan on changing it to a 26" but the frame itself seems small and a bit cramped. So I'm sure the Surron would feel really tiny. Of course I also like my pedals, I understand they are available options for some of these small e-cycles, though none of my current bikes can be considered legal without tags. I build with pedals and often use them, but that's just me.

Rick C.
Rick you are a big guy too! Shorter guys see the same things as being bigger than taller guys. Kinda like how things always seem bigger when you’re a kid.

Nowadays when I look at my previous builds with 26” I think they look a bit ridiculous. Of course they were all cramped between the seat and pedals. Always felt like pedaling a clown bike. Less so with my current build thanks to the cafe seat putting me much further back; to where I’d probably be sitting above the rear axle if it was a stock frame.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tony I often build board track style and the saddles way back and I use 3" ahead stem and low bar position. Two of these are also stretch frames or extended drop frames with 53" wheel base. I end up riding these a lot. Both are 26" wheels and saddle height on the Simplex is just 25"....this one doesn't get pedaled much! The other one isn't that hard to pedal on flats, but hills are tough. Like the original board bikes they look small but feel bigger when riding and I like the style, though I'd suggest most mature men would have the devil of a time riding these dimensions for any length of time, but I've spent ten years and thousands of miles riding in this position and it feels fine even during a crazy 500 miles in three long days of riding last Fall I recovered quickly from the effort.

A bikes look and feel are so personal that I won't challenge another's preference about either. In fact I encourage others to express themselves in their individual builds, style and performance wise, but not when it comes to safety. Dependability is an area that I advocate heartily but walking bikes home or having them hauled back teach better than I can preach!

Still having fun!

Rick C.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A Sur Ron is the kind of bike a guy considering something like a Honda Grom might find appealing. Personally I like the idea of upgrading a Sur Ron to challenge a Grom.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
A Sur Ron is the kind of bike a guy considering something like a Honda Grom might find appealing.
Yep I still think these have a place in the market segment in that price range, though many on this forum wouldn't pay half that amount if we were forced to ride it daily for a year to get the discount. I'd think it's market is centered on the youth market, off road or to illegal or barely legal street riding.

Rick C.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This video demonstrates several stock and modified Sur Ron's. It should be easy ro see why this bike is already so popular in such a short time.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
This video demonstrates several stock and modified Sur Ron's. It should be easy ro see why this bike is already so popular in such a short time.

Yes the 74v one is upgraded with an asi4000 controller and a 74v30ah 10c pack of Sony vtc6 18650s so barely enough to feed the asi4000. Those two items alone are over $2000 worth of upgrade. I’m running the asi4000 myself and it is great though I have a stronger pack and some more volts (77.7v 24ah 25c). Depending on gearing that surron probably tops out at least 70mph. My personal best on low volts running 17s aka a 63v nominal was 74mph at about a half charge. Serious power controllers! That’s what I mean by starting with better components.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
They scoot pretty good stock & if the dyno numbers are valid on the big battery setup I can easily believe that getting well into the eighties is likely. 22 hp on say 125 to 130 lbs., including the added battery weight, is great power to weight ratio. Quarter mile bursts are one thing, sustained running quite another and shedding heat is difficult when an air cooled motor goes much beyond it's designed output parameters both mechanical and electrical. An informative test that featured the modified engines component heat readings taken at continuous speed levels maintained for say 20 minutes at thirty, forty, fifty etc. when compared to a stock Sur ron up to whatever the stock's max speed is, but continue to say seventy with the modified setup. Just real world info without the hype of what's quicker or faster etc.

I've misgivings about wiring around the B.M.S.for a demo let alone as a day to day performance modification. Over volting the e-motor using an appropriately matched controller is a common mod, but one that needs be utilized with care not to overheat. W.O.T. with hair on fire could actually be a thing if the riders not careful.

Thanks for posting info on the Sur ron Bike nut. I'm confident they are selling quite a few already.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yes the 74v one is upgraded with an asi4000 controller and a 74v30ah 10c pack of Sony vtc6 18650s so barely enough to feed the asi4000. Those two items alone are over $2000 worth of upgrade. I’m running the asi4000 myself and it is great though I have a stronger pack and some more volts (77.7v 24ah 25c). Depending on gearing that surron probably tops out at least 70mph. My personal best on low volts running 17s aka a 63v nominal was 74mph at about a half charge. Serious power controllers! That’s what I mean by starting with better components.
Tony you just read my mind. I'd been wondering about the upgrade cost and guessed it was at least half the price of the bike itself. Significant power gains normally involve serious money. The good stuff costs. Your bike runs a significantly higher watt rated motor; does it not?

Rick C.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Tony you just read my mind. I'd been wondering about the upgrade cost and guessed it was at least half the price of the bike itself. Significant power gains normally involve serious money. The good stuff costs. Your bike runs a significantly higher watt rated motor; does it not?

Rick C.
Not really sure what the gm3000 in the surron can do. I am pushing 24000 watts in the qs205, which is rated 3000 watts. Funny how in the ebike world some companies severely under-rate their components. The asi bac4000 is rated 4000w but can do 32000w max.