Do not ride a motorized bike without a license!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I say "Do not ride a motorized bike without air in the tires". I've got an M1 and have never needed to show it to any law enforcement for motorized bicycling.

Knock on wood? ;)

dnut
This is me. I've been on the wrong side of many, many traffic laws in my checkered career, but even the meanest cop on earth has a hard time looking me in the eye and telling me riding a motor bicycle is a crime.
I would throw my life away and do jail time before I will ever plate, register or license a bicycle, PERIOD.

Now, I know this might be seen as kinda stupid by some folks, but I believe in certain freedoms and the right to ride my bicycle is one of them.
I've owned every kind of motoized toy since I was old enough to yank a pull-start, and bicycles are one of my favorites.
If these tiny gems ever get outlawed, I plan to become a Dark Knight against repression and flout the law every possible way. I'll build a bicycle with a Rotax triple or something and drive the police insane,doing 100mph through downtown with open pipes at 3am and laughing all the way to Oblivian!
As someone who has had more than a few brushes with the law, I can tell you 90% of the time, your behavior during the stop is going to make all the difference in what happens. My problem is my instant knee-jerk rebellion against arrogant cops which makes me kinda prickly, but I learned long ago not to get an attitude until there is no choice. Every cop who has stopped me has really been interested in my bike. This includes cops who know and dislike me. They still liked the bike enough to be cool with me. These things are just too much fun. I will never give up my motorbike and I urge all of you out there to join me in rising up against idiot politicians and goverment bureacrats who see you as hosts for their parasitic need to control our lives!

You can have my motorbike when you pry it from between my cold, dead legs.

.flg.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
WOW, I'm sorry to their sweating you guys. In this state of Missouri is not considered a motor vehicle. All we need is lights keep it at 30mph and obey all laws and stay off the sidewalk .although the cops are unknown the hassle people for not wearing a helmet even though it's not the law but that's just common sense put on the Skid Lid .

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey maniac, I'm also one who has had more than my share of the back seat of a patrol car. But, The laws weren't written because of people like you and me, who, MOST of the time,LOL, ride safe and sane. Laws are mostly written because some IDIOT tried putting a Hayabusa on a Huffy and tried to kill himself and others. If everyone were sensible there would be no need for any laws at all. But, As you know, most people are idiots and would do some very stupid things if there were no law against it. People would be putting their 4 year old kid on a 60mph motorbike and let them ride it down the road. Yeah, Sad, but I KNOW people like that.
So, ya can't blame the legislatures for ALL of it, Most of the blame for the laws that smother us can be attributed to stupid people.
fatdaddy.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I just want to say I resemble that remark and it's taken me years to get this way . And I'm looking for a better class of Low-class friends thank you. laff

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I know what ya mean Huffy. Most of my friends are the people that put 4 year old kids on motorbikes. But what the heck, It's kinda cool being the smartest one in the asylum.
fatdaddy.

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
It's different state to state, here in IL we have a law on the books specifically for motor assisted bicycles that says basically you must be 16yo to ride, you must not exceed 20mph, and you can not ride on the sidewalk, other than that the normal bicycle laws apply. Under this law you do not need a drivers license, you just need be 16 years old....
I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been addressed. your information on IL law is close, but not quite right.

IL Moped Classification

A moped is actually a sub-class of a motor-driven cycle, restricted to:

Only attaining a speed between 20 mph and 30 mph within one mile.
A motor capable of producing 2 brake horsepower or less.
An engine displacement that does not exceed 50cc (cubic centimeters).
A transmission that does not require gear shifting.

All four criteria must be met for you to be able to operate your moped with a regular IL driver’s license.
http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/other-types.php

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been addressed. your information on IL law is close, but not quite right.

http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/other-types.php
And you can ride it with ANY class license and no registration required. Which, I assume, Would also mean no insurance required. It would be hard to show paperwork to a insurance provider if there ain't none. Illinois sounds like a pretty good state to ride a Motorbike in.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I found a loophole for my BMX, no pedals, keep it under 25, stand up on it when you see blue polyester, its a Goped. I carry the laws in my wallet, so I can call out BS with an "O rly sir? The law kindly disagrees!"

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/scooters.htm

Print this out and carry it with you.
I know the goped laws quite well and a goped has a FLOORBOARD, not just pedals or the frame to "stand" on. So a motorized bicycle just ain't gonna pass as a goped, even if ya stand on the pedals or frame. NOW, If you want to ADD a floorboard to yer bike and take off the pedals you MIGHT get by with it. I just built (and sold) a BIG WHEELED goped, But it started out as a regular goped. Ya GOTTA have a floorboard to stand on to make it a legal goped. This pic is of the work in progress. I didn't take a picture of the finished bike. But you get the idea. It can also have a seat that DOES NOT interfere with your ability to stand up on it. You can ride it with ANY class license.
fatdaddy

Attachments

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
No you don't, it just needs to be pedal-less and made for stand up riding. Floorboards are not defined in structure or material legally, so technically pegs which are meant for standing are also sufficient. If you get clocked outside 25 you're in another category and need to register it and have a M license. Believe it or not, this thing is technically a huge stand up scooter:
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60318&stc=1&d=1370403566

If you know the law better than the police do, and calmly explain your position, they won't be very motivated to bring it to court over such a trivial matter, the court system is so packed that they would get repremanded if wrong in their initial probable cause for the stop and citation, whatever it might be.

If you check out the DMV link, this thing is more Goped than the example they give in their own website picture. I just bring that page with me along with the two other regs on scooters regarding exhaust modification and local policing.

The thing is, ALL motorbycycle and goped laws are up to local jurisprudence, some towns super pocket bikes are tolerated, other towns motor assisted bicycles and scooters are confiscated by police. It all has to do with your local situation, and if you provide a reason for them to want to stop you and shake you down, they can, even if it contradicts state law. I imagine they included this part of the law so if scooters stop being a good thing, and become a dangerous annoyance like in NYC, they have authority to control the situation.

I know, I know, you're gonna say that's unfair, but riding responsibly is the #1 thing you can do to prevent any legal trouble with these. Somehow the SF bay area is chock full of pocket bikes and people find a place to ride them without being bothered, large scooters that are ridden safely shouldn't have a problem unless your town already has a nuisance problem. In that case one should look in the mirror and ask themselves if that gutted exhaust canister is the best decision long term for your community, lol.

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but basically all of our "rights" are really privileges and are constantly at risk of being pulled these days. Ride around your neighborhood on a ratty looking loud ass clapper without a helmet above 30 mph all the time, and expect the balance of Karma to tip away from your favor. It's about being a responsible representative for what you believe is right, it has to coincide with at least what a majority of the rest of people call acceptable in their neighborhood.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Your right, Floorboards are NOT described in the Ca. code. But do ya really think you can pass off PEGS as a FLOORBOARD. A cop is gonna look up the code, see what a scooter or goped is, (there's even a picture,) and give you a ticket, (as he's laughing his a$$ off,) for riding a pocketbike on the highway. YES my friend, Your bike is a pocketbike. A little larger perhaps, but still a pocketbike. (pegs as a floorboard, Thats rich.)
Also, NOWHERE in the CVC does it limit a goped or scooter to 25mph. What it DOES say is that if no bike lane is available then it is restricted to riding in a 25mph zone. There seem to be NO restrictions on speed if you're riding in a bike lane. You also have the option of pedals on a scooter. A goped is also a motorized scooter and falls under the same laws as a motorized scooter. So please bro, Read and understand the law before giving advice on it. Some newbie is gonna read your post, Build a pocketbike, (LOOK, I can stand on it,) And get themselves in a boatload of crap with the law.
I'm glad the cops in your area aren't giving you greif over your bike, But try taking it almost anywhere else. You will be trying to "calmly explain" your position to a judge as he is also laughing his a$$ off.
I gotta say it again, PEGS AS A FLOORBOARD, THAT'S RICH.laff
fatdaddy.
P.S. It IS a nice looking bike I might add, But it is still just a motorized bicycle with the pedals removed. This is illegal for a gas bike and is only allowed on electric bikes in California.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
You couldn't be further from the truth Fatdaddy.

keep bending over and not asserting your rights aw a motorist and they'll gladly take them away for a fee.

read: culture of oppression

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
You couldn't be further from the truth Fatdaddy.

keep bending over and not asserting your rights aw a motorist and they'll gladly take them away for a fee.

read: culture of oppression
I don't need to read a book to know what the California Vehicle Code says about Motorized Bikes, Scooters and Gopeds. You obviously don't agree with the current laws, SO, CHANGE THEM. But asserting your right to ride a bike that does not conform with existing laws does not help. What this will do is draw unwanted attention to all of us that want to ride our bikes unmolested by law enforcement.
So, DON'T register your car, DON'T buy insurance for it. DON'T pay any taxes, ect, ect. Be all the rebel you want to be, Or CLAIM to be. I bet your car IS registered WITH insurance and all your taxes are PAID IN FULL. If you don't like a law, CHANGE IT. Don't just try to twist them to suit YOUR idea of what they SHOULD be.
And the fact is, I am RIGHT ON the truth. And accusing someone of "bending over" is just a cheap shot. Like I said, Be all the rebel you want to be, you have that right. But I'll be riding my registered bike into the sunset while you're trying to "calmly explain" yourself to a judge.
Good luck to ya bro,
fatdaddy.
PEG.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peg (SEE 2 a.)
Floorboard.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/floorboard (SEE 1: or 2.)
Gee, I CAN read.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Actually, no. lol

Stand up scooters arent dictated in sahpe so strictly so as to rule out motorized bicycles equipped as so.

Seems like you're just aching to have new laws ritten that make as many categories of motorized bikes illegal as possible. Do you understand the damage that it causes spreading misinformation within your community?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Actually, no. lol

Stand up scooters arent dictated in sahpe so strictly so as to rule out motorized bicycles equipped as so.

Seems like you're just aching to have new laws ritten that make as many categories of motorized bikes illegal as possible. Do you understand the damage that it causes spreading misinformation within your community?
Calling a donkey a horse don't make it so. And removing peddals from a motorized bicycle and calling it a scooter don't make it a scooter.
Do a poll bro, See how many people in California agree with you. I'm not talking newbies that don't really know. Look for your results from the Senior members, Mod's and staff. I don't think many will agree that removing the pedals from a bike makes it a scooter. Or better yet, Take it to a CHP inspection station and try to get them to agree with you. You HAVE to know the difference between pegs and a floorboard, Do you really think the cops and judges don't know the difference. Cops are dumb, Not completely stupid.
Anyway, Good luck with your interpretation of the California Codes.
fatdaddy.

Spoooooky

May 31, 2013
Holiday, FL
Ok, I'm just trying to get a clear idea of what to expect while I ride my motorized bicycle here in Florida.

I do-not have a Drivers licence

So as long as I "stay off" sidewalks and follow the flow of traffic "in" the bike lanes I should be fine, correct?

And if I do get pulled over for driving a motorized vehicle without a license what do I do from there?

Sorry, I'm 19 and I don't know much about how the system works so I'm just trying to get a clear idea what to expect since I live in Florida. Not trying to fuel anything, just not fully understanding how the laws work here in Florida.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Ok, I'm just trying to get a clear idea of what to expect while I ride my motorized bicycle here in Florida.

So as long as I "stay off" sidewalks and follow the flow of traffic "in" the bike lanes I should be fine, correct?

And if I do get pulled over for driving a motorized vehicle without a license what do I do from there?

Sorry, I'm 19 and I don't know much about how the system works so I'm just trying to get a clear idea what to expect since I live in Florida. Not trying to fuel anything, just not fully understanding how the laws work here in Florida.
From what I understand, in Florida Motorized Bicycles are NOT legal. BUT, Mopeds are. So ya just gotta register it as a moped. As far as a drivers license goes, I don't think there are many states that allow you to drive anything without a valid license. So good luck with that one bro.
fatdaddy.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
LOL, you're such a killjoy Fatdaddy, if I really needed to I'd call the skid plate floorboards since its diamondplate and you can step on it if you wish, also the rack has traction material and can be stood upon like a floorboard. Many mopeds have a little flat grooved space in the stepthrough to meet the "floorboard" legal loophole for areas which allow scooters but not traditional peds.

Do you really think they are all fire breathing stazi pounding the streets looking to crush MABers? rotfl

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida

If you do get stopped you might get cited for no valid drivers license which caries a jail sentence! most cops will not bother you! if you cannot afford to pay for it in one way or another just get a electric bike! they cannot say anything about that even if ride on the sidewalk? you are legal with anything up to a 750 watt motor and a top speed of 15mph. some idiots here think there is a differance between electric and gas bikes> gas bike should not be on the sidewalk but it`s o:k for and electric bike" if you hit someone the pain inflicted will be the same!

Last edited:

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Electric can be ANY power rating as long as the top speed is 20 mph. On the sidewalk you have to pedal. On the road as long as you ride in the bicycle lane or far right as practicable which means as far right is safe like if there are rocks in the road or if the lane is not wide enough for a cat to pass you safely which is a 14 foot wide lane.