Different Style Tanks?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by MattLGiberson, Apr 23, 2009.

1. eisle89

eisle89 New Member

No, I didn't make the fenders. Got them from Woodys Custom Cycling Fenders

Cody's a good guy

2. marsrover

marsrover New Member

anyone wanted to make the tank invisable
    put it inside the tube metal of your bike
    my geus it would be placed at the top of the bike with a small gas cap on it
    would look very sick
    hmmm i might try doing this
    just stay away from the cops
    not a licened gas tank
    still think it would be awsome

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows

anyone want to tell this guy to get linux

ubuntu 9.04

3. Cookie

Cookie New Member

Just a quick ?? about tank has any one tried converting one of those Hienakeen kegs into a tank I think that would be wild

Cookie

4. RedB66

RedB66 New Member

Came across this website while surfing. It's Ghent Cruisers. They have some custom bike parts and most interesting is a gas tank design in the works.

Scroll down

Gas Tank | Ghent Cruisers

5. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

thats a nice tank,but at $89 thats almost the price of a engine kit.

6. Zev0

Zev0 New Member

It would also be nice if they would tell what the volume of the tank is. I'm not paying that kind of money for the same half-gallon tank.

7. ghentcruisers

ghentcruisers New Member

Thanks for the plug RedB66. I'm anticipating that these tanks will hold between 3/4th and a full gallon. I can't be absolutely sure yet. The price of $89 is just an estimate, it may be higher or lower. Cabinfever1977, I totally understand your reasoning behind comparing the price of the tank to the kits. I do too. In defense, I want to bring quality parts into the MAB market so the idea as a whole gets a better reputation. I know the kits are cheap but it's clear what you get from them. So, ultimately I'm going to make them as cheap as I can while keeping the manufacturing in the US. That's important to me. I want to help the progress of the MAB market with good design and options that are of decent quality. I'd love to hear any ideas that you guys have. Also, attached the pics of the tank.

Attached Files:

8. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz New Member

Nice looking tank. What will be the color options? Will it be available in primer only.?

9. ghentcruisers

ghentcruisers New Member

I'm thinking it'll probably come raw like most aftermarket tanks so the end user can decide how to paint it. I may paint a number of them black. But in the end, I don't want to limit or deter people with color options.

10. tyrslider

tyrslider New Member

Nice work Ghent. $89 is cheap. That's Awesome!

11. 80ccisme

80ccisme New Member

Excellent work Ghentcruisers!!! I predict that when you are up and running,the interest in these tanks will skyrocket.Personally,I think your philosophy is spot on.I just signed on to your e-mail list.Great to have you join us.

Markus

12. ghentcruisers

ghentcruisers New Member

Thanks! I'll keep you posted.

13. Hi5

Hi5 New Member

Slick looking tank. Kinda curious on how they are being built. Are they being stamped out?

14. ghentcruisers

ghentcruisers New Member

I'm having manufacturers quote it on a number of processes. We'll see what they come up with.

15. Bikedad1

Bikedad1 New Member

I don't think that is too much at all. I REALLY like those tanks and I am sure whatever you charge for them will be reasonable.

.sno.

16. Retmachinist

Retmachinist New Member

That is a sweet looking tank, and even at that price I would definitly order one. Trouble is you will find on this site people are used to getting these Chinese parts so cheap they would be hard to sell.
    I build all my own parts (Very time consuming) so when someone asks about something and I quote them a price of about a fourth of what a regular Machine Shop would charge they usually still think it is to high! Just a thought.

John

17. Hi5

Hi5 New Member

I have a friend who stamped his own tanks (for motorcycles) and I know tooling costs isn't cheap. You're looking at least 10K just for the die. Some friendly advice, if you do go with stamping them, make sure there is enough demand for the tanks so you at least break even. Hydroforming is another option but we never officially got a quote. I myself want to contribute to the motor bike community and explored a bunch of avenues for custom parts being made. And through what I've found, it's for the love for the hobby and not for the profit, which is fine by me. :)

If you need a few places that can build you tanks. Send me a PM.

18. sojudave

sojudave New Member

DANG!! Those mini kegs would make awesome gas tanks. They're aluminum and in order to use them, you'd have to drink all the beer inside. WIN WIN!!! You have to be real careful with the welding and tig it, or something. Hmmm.... let's see there.....

19. sojudave

sojudave New Member

mmmkay, did some paint shop editing.

The circles represent the mini kegs, and on the third the white piece is the keg. These are rough proportions obviously.

bike1.JPG

bike2.JPG

bike3.JPG

20. Beetle Juice

Beetle Juice New Member

I like your tank idea do you have spec on you exhaust