Different Style Tanks?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by MattLGiberson, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Outrunner

Outrunner New Member

The expansion chamber is from Sick Bike Parts, although I mounted the ex-
    chamber at the end of some 1/2" pipe that I spent a few hours heating and
    bending to fit, then I welded the mounting flange to the top. I was concerned
    about mounting the ex-chamber at the end, but I could not mount it any other
    way, except to route the pipe under the motor, which is how it should go, but
    my center stand was in the way and I prefered to keep it there. It works very
    well though.

Attached Files:

2. Beetle Juice

Beetle Juice New Member

Man that is just Sick really cool how does it ride Do you have a full pic

3. Outrunner

Outrunner New Member

With the springer front end and large dual spring seat it's not bad. It's not
    as nice as some motorcycles I've ridden either.

Attached Files:

4. flying hornet

flying hornet New Member

here's mine built from a murray girls horn tank

#44 flying hornet, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  5. ghentcruisers

ghentcruisers New Member

Wow! I really like that! low profile. That's nice man.

6. DetonatorTuningSolutions

ghent,

is there any new word on the tank design you posted earlier in this thread ?

thanks,
    steve

7. ghentcruisers

ghentcruisers New Member

After 3 or 4 domestic quotes on metal tanks, I've exhausted the possibility of that route. The piece price would be way high. Plastic is a 2nd option which would be affordable, but I'd like metal and i think most customers would too. I've come up with a way to press them and assemble them myself. I'm waiting on the machine to do this and I'll be finishing up the molds over the next two weeks. Handcrafting them will hopefully prove to be the compromise. Hopefully Sept?? We'll see.

8. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz New Member

I just bought a mongo huge 1 gallon tank, I couldn't wait any longer, now I have to decide which bike to put it on.

I look forward to what you have coming.

9. hmlhogan

hmlhogan New Member

Re: 2-2 tanks are as good as 1

On my 1st build Im using HoughMade Cycle Works tank cover idea but with a built in glove box at the rear slope. This is for the board track racer look. This is plywood glassed. The next is built to go into the frame space on my Trek Cruiser. Tight and neat. This also is plywood but will be the tank it's self. Thee inside will be epoxied thruout and outside epoxied with glass. After all is said and done the inside will get plenty of tank sealer. Checked this out with local experts botth of fiberglass work and ATV works. Makes for a crazy shaped tank but maybe not even 1/2 gal, I'll see (0"0)drn2

10. RedB66

RedB66 New Member

This is my attempt at fiberglassing a tank cover. I started out with an old tank and Greeline frame. I bought some floral foam and some spray foam and went to work not having a clue as this is my first one!!

Attached Files:

11. RedB66

RedB66 New Member

More photos!!

Attached Files:

12. eisle89

eisle89 New Member

oh yeah !!! there you go !

13. Prof Fate

Prof Fate New Member

Wow. That looks great. Has anyone ever tired something like this with a layer of Bondo over the foam or the duct tape? Would Bondo stick? Think if it was thick enough it would crack?

#53 Prof Fate, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  14. RedB66

RedB66 New Member

I'm going to fiberglass over the tape to create a shell that will sit on top of the tank.

15. hmlhogan

hmlhogan New Member

Here are my tanks still in the making. The one on the bike is a HoughMade Cycle Works take off. Wooden hiding that ugly peanut chinese tank. The second on the bench is wooden and fiberglass & epoxy. Shaped to go in between bicycle bars. It will be sealed with Kreen Tank Sealer. Inside is already 2 layers of epoxy. The fillers are ABC auto-valve from my local hardware store. Theey wwill have a sort of hood design when done. All is still in the makings.drn2

16. hmlhogan

hmlhogan New Member

Sorry, 1st posting of photos but not last!drn2

Attached Files:

17. roblofifty

roblofifty New Member

Here's a pic of my tank I had fab'd for my 41 Schwinn straight bar frame. I really don't care for the stock tanks that come with the engine kits. A local, custom motorcycle builder made it for me. It wasn't cheap, but everyone digs the lines.

Attached Files:

18. northwest choppers

northwest choppers New Member

could try a Choppers.us dummy tank... Use one like fiberglass cover....
    I also have seen nos bottles.... paint gun bottles..... We have a friend in seattle that makes tanks for his classic bikes... they hold Adult beverages(sp?) mostly lol

renigade muscle... tell T-dub The short dude over at Northwest choppers sent ya !!!!!

19. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Love the bike and the tank is just right for it. Old Schwinns are old gold!
    Silverbear

20. Tim_B_172

Tim_B_172 New Member

The only thing I don't really like about the stock tank is the flange that goes all the way around the outside. I've often thought of cutting it off which would separate the tank into two halves, and then welding it back together smooth with no flange. I can weld effectively, I'm just not to good at making it look nice. Fortunately I have a friend who is like the number one jedi master of welding and I would have him do it. After that any unevenness by the welding could be filled in with a little bondo.