Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
A good cutting oil is Pennzoil 10wt, drilling D2 steel with a 1/32dia drill many diameters deep. Works and is low cost.
I have earned a good living for fifty years. In my trade water soluble oil is the preferred lube/coolant.
I have use WD40 as a cutting oil, best on aluminum for surface finish does create an unpleasant fog.
Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Next time I am looking at the stuff I'll get the name. I know the stuff has a red translucent color. It is light weight viscosity. I have seen systems that use those flexible nozzles and pump the fluid at work on a part being machined. A pan recaptures the fluid and returns it to the pump after filtering out particles.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Probably this stuff as the fold down pour tip and the ridges in the neck of the bottle are the same. The color of the container was red and white, but in over 30 years they probably made changes.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas

Probably this stuff as the fold down pour tip and the ridges in the neck of the bottle are the same. The color of the container was red and white, but in over 30 years they probably made changes.
Wow, thanks

Appreciate you !!!

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Very nicely done. Gas tanks are not easy to do. The bike will be a stand alone classic.

Steve.
Thanks so much, but I’m only part of the way on the tank. I will be practicing my welding and finding the sweet spot on the power. Have some left over exhaust pipe to practice with.

Btw, is this you website?

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Hi, Danny,
A very nice start and I was thinking to myself that now the real journey begins as you weld it up. That is the site. They have an impressive amount of things you didn't realize you needed.

Steve.
You are correct sir. The real journey begins now as I weld.

I’ve been glancing through that website. Came across it on another thread from this site. Going to have to spend a little more time looking at that website.

I would really like to find a filler cap in copper. But the brass looks sweet also.

I may have some questions for you on a few things in have already seen there.

Thanks again for the nice complements

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Used my angle grinder to get closer tolerances on my notching. I’m ready to begin brazing except for the new forks. Upon closer inspection they are 1/2” taller than what is on it. I will wait for the forks before beginning the brazing.

On a side note, I also picked up some 16 ga sheet metal to use on the ends of the gas tank. Tank/pipe is 14 ga. Anyway, welding practice is coming along. Not pretty in places but that’s what practice is for.

This site rotates some of my picS, don’t know why

Attachments

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
After 2 welding sessions and 2 grinding sessions I can still see 6 pin holes with a bright light. Welding session 3 coming up.

this is my practice piece but I’m starting to get it.

My next thoughts on the tank are the bungs and petcock that are necessary. My understanding is those should be TIG welded. Is this going to be possible to weld some bullet bungs (for mounting the tank) inside a 4” diameter exhaust pipe?

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon