Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Does anyone know if I have a 26 x 1.75 rim or a 26 x 2.125 rim. I’ve done a lot of searching and can’t seem to find that answer.

here are two different husky wheels that I would consider replacing the stock wheel with.

or

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Here ya go Bud, Cranbrook Mens Cruiser Bike 26 inch Blue 56389 - Huffy (huffybikes.com)
The Husky 26X2.125 with 11Ga spokes, nice.
Same as spec'd at inb (worksmancycles.com) which is the same rear wheel mounted on my Sportsman Flyer.
Tom
will the 2.125 tire will fit a 2.125 rim or so I need the 1.75 rim? The Huffy website only list tires size not wheel size.

and Yea, the husky rim is now on my list. Have read a bunch more on the rear wheel hub being a weakness on the Cranbrook.

Reactions: fasteddy

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I don't know what your budget is Nightster, a safe well constructed MB ain't cheap.
When I got started what I really wanted was Whizzer which I thought was kinda spendy. Wrong.
If this was available in 2016 I would have saved at least 2K to date.
PHATMOTO™ Rover 2021 - 79cc Motorized Bicycle with Hilliard Clutch (Ye | Gasbike.net
I know you are seeking the Boardie look. Food for thought.
Tom
I appreciate that & if I build this the way I want too I may have $1k+ in it. With that said the bike you posted is affordable but I would not consider buying a completed MB unless I was gonna add to it. What I’m really saying is I want to build one for the hobby, the experience and eventually the ride.

I’ve refinished A bunch of guitars, built 2 from blocks of mahogany/maple. I’ve tinkered with my trucks, cars And motorcycles.

it’s kinda in my blood, just wish I had some metal fabrication tools. Anyway, here’s my two latest projects.

79CD9E9B-4D60-4C9C-92F1-B2B4D20F0BA9.jpeg
5A7C6B25-0D4C-4657-9882-8AF8EC173D10.jpeg

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Two wheel Night Rider, sweet! Showing yer hand, why dink around with Huffy's?
You want the build challenge or bragging rights? Dan Orabona at (20+) Taylar Cycles | Facebook Dan does as much as you can't, you figure out the rest.
Or Pat Dolan SPORTSMAN FLYER | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES Same thing. Both at top tier fabricators.

My second build is a SPORTSMAN 80 | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES
Using, SPORTSMAN 80 FOUR STROKE ENGINE INSTALL KIT | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES
Plenty of places to innovate. You can see some of my work here.
(38) Bike builders that have machine tools/shops | Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum (motorbicycling.com)
I always ask, what is your first name? It is something that makes conversation, more polite. The old farts, myself included, prefer first name exchanges.
I bid you good night. 15 been soup waiting for me.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Two wheel Night Rider, sweet! Showing yer hand, why dink around with Huffy's?
You want the build challenge or bragging rights? Dan Orabona at (20+) Taylar Cycles | Facebook Dan does as much as you can't, you figure out the rest.
Or Pat Dolan SPORTSMAN FLYER | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES Same thing. Both at top tier fabricators.

My second build is a SPORTSMAN 80 | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES
Using, SPORTSMAN 80 FOUR STROKE ENGINE INSTALL KIT | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES
Plenty of places to innovate. You can see some of my work here.
(38) Bike builders that have machine tools/shops | Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum (motorbicycling.com)
I always ask, what is your first name? It is something that makes conversation, more polite. The old farts, myself included, prefer first name exchanges.
I bid you good night. 15 been soup waiting for me.
Tom
Tom,
The name is Danny. And I’m an old fart too, lol.

For me it’s about the challenge mostly but would love to build something that turns heads. The links you shared of great fabricators are quality work. I’m not on that level, but with their help I could be. Might seriously consider using them on future builds. I could see myself building a few of these . Already thinking about a bobber MB and a Harley WLA replica MB.

The Harley is a Nightster. A sportster model. She’s quick !!!

Dinking around with Huffys because my work is seasonal. Starting at the worst financial time during the year for me but so be it. If the bug continues to infect me, I will build a looped frame racer someday

Nice to meet you Tom and I appreciate the help you are providing.

Anyway, I’m gonna get the husky back wheel.

Would you replace the front rim also, or is it good enough to mount the sunlite deluxe springer front end and a disc brake? I want to be safe, and for the price of a new rim I’m sure that’s what you probably recommend.

The price of my buildgoing up all the time,

and good night to you too sir

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hi Danny, I looked at husky wheels. They have a front 26X2.125 with a Sturmey Archer XL-FD drum brake.
I' using the same front wheel on my Flyer. I would caution you to get a brake lever with as much cable draw as possible.
Currently my front brake lever is a WalMart cheapy that barely gets the job done.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Hi Danny, I looked at husky wheels. They have a front 26X2.125 with a Sturmey Archer XL-FD drum brake.
I' using the same front wheel on my Flyer. I would caution you to get a brake lever with as much cable draw as possible.
Currently my front brake lever is a WalMart cheapy that barely gets the job done.
Tom
This one?

If so, that’s awesome that would be a front brake without having to add the caliper and rotors externally.

I am thinking this bike gets upgraded husky wheels for sure. I think I’m even going to go look at a small mig welder today too lol.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Well not a mig welder, but a flux welder. This will up the game a little bit. The cheapest welder at Harbor freight, but it’ll help me make a custom gas tank even if it’s just for looks, with a plastic bladder inside. I would imagine getting a gas tank welded well enough to seal is fairly difficult. I’m an extremely novice welder as I’ve only done it a few times in my life. Says it can weld up to 3/16 of an inch thick, should be good for bicycle frames also I believe.

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Watch this one, more than necessary, but he covers a build that looks like a complete Cranbrook makeover.

Another sick build I do want to build a loop frame bike someday but this is my first build so I better start a little more simple.

but you have provided another inspirational video and a good reference, I appreciate that sir.

I would called this what I’m striving for at this time. I would be really happy if it turned out even this nice.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
This one?

If so, that’s awesome that would be a front brake without having to add the caliper and rotors externally.

I am thinking this bike gets upgraded husky wheels for sure. I think I’m even going to go look at a small mig welder today too lol.
Yup that's the one Danny, mounting hardware will go in a bag or in a box. The Sunlite front fork has the part welded on to hold the brake arm, Just in case you change your mind. Right side had the mounting bracket for a disc brake caliper.
You got options.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Glad to see more interest in your thread Danny, even if it is a dogcatcher:) who offered a link to Mr. B.'s Wisconsin engine'd Excalibur which is a Indian style rebadged tribute. M.B. is in Dubuque, Iowa. Friendly guy.
Philosopher too. He says it's riding and fixing, and fixing and riding. Home built's are that way.
d.c. also suggested a Boardie scratch built by Co Bappe, a Eastern Graphic Artist who kind of changed the metrics with a Vanguard V twin. Hand Built — CO BAPPE
Co goes by "Lurker" on Motored Bikes | Motorized Bicycle Forum AKA the other one.
If "fasteddy" Steve, "indian22" Rick, or "MotoMags" Keith, chime in or you do a search on them. To name just a few.
As an aside, couple of years ago Co silk screened some T-shirts with different perspectives of VEKST. Got one.
Tom

Last edited: