Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
When I clean aluminum hot water and Dawn dish detergent is my go to. Rinsing in fresh water flushes out all the grit.
Package came by post today, 41 links, just links. What the hail did I talk you into Danny?
Made you up a bullet proof brake strap for #1 Boardy. You said the chain stay is 9/16 dia. Right?
Strap is made out of .077", 2mm 316 SS 5/8" wide. 1/4" dia clearance clamping holes for 6mm clamping screw, provided.
Tom

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
When I clean aluminum hot water and Dawn dish detergent is my go to. Rinsing in fresh water flushes out all the grit.
Package came by post today, 41 links, just links. What the hail did I talk you into Danny?
Made you up a bullet proof brake strap for #1 Boardy. You said the chain stay is 9/16 dia. Right?
Strap is made out of .077", 2mm 316 SS 5/8" wide. 1/4" dia clearance clamping holes for 6mm clamping screw, provided.
Tom
cool, thanks for the tips on cleaning up the aluminum.

And I don’t know, I jumped the gun and didn’t look at it closely enough before purchasing.

yes sir, 9/16 of an inch. I sure do appreciate that. I owe you one!

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I’ve ordered a hub adapter and sprocket from Pat also. but just slipping the sprocket that comes with the kit on the back hub, makes it look like I might have clearance and not have to use a tensioner. That would please me tremendously

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Danny, did you build the bike stand in your photos ? Can you provide some closer pics of it ? How do you support the bike on it ?
Sure but it’s cheap and unsure if it could handle the motor running. With that said I can sit on the bike and pedal with no issues.

The half pipe sections I welded on top of the rebar are not as straight as I planned and could be angled slightly more. I built this right after I got my welder and didn’t even have a bike yet. I’ve had to break it apart a couple of times and add extra side support as you can see. Needs another wire brush and some more paint.

I’m betting with a cable tie or two I could run the motor and not have any issues.

As you can see the chain stays sit on the rack.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
cool, thanks for the tips on cleaning up the aluminum.

And I don’t know, I jumped the gun and didn’t look at it closely enough before purchasing.

yes sir, 9/16 of an inch. I sure do appreciate that. I owe you one!
No you don't Danny. Take it for what it is. I come from people who valued giving over taking.
No trade offs, we just give, and don't look back. I like your ambition. You are a rare cat on this forum.
The brake arm anchor made, is offset. Try it out.
I made a forming die today to make the brake strap with a true 9/32" radius. If a brake arm strap perfectly centered on the chain stay is needed, I am now tooled to produce it. No big deal in my machine shop. Took one beer.
The offset version, gives some allowance for brake arm position. Pat had brake strap and arm ideas, which he holds close to his vest. For good reason.
Keep up the good work Danny,
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
No you don't Danny. Take it for what it is. I come from people who valued giving over taking.
No trade offs, we just give, and don't look back. I like your ambition. You are a rare cat on this forum.
The brake arm anchor made, is offset. Try it out.
I made a forming die today to make the brake strap with a true 9/32" radius. If a brake arm strap perfectly centered on the chain stay is needed, I am now tooled to produce it. No big deal in my machine shop. Took one beer.
The offset version, gives some allowance for brake arm position. Pat had brake strap and arm ideas, which he holds close to his vest. For good reason.
Keep up the good work Danny,
Tom
Wow, thank you sir. You are a gentleman for sure

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Too early to think about paint, but...

so far I have tried a little regal red and gloss cherry. The gloss cherry is just too bright in my opinion. Wish I would’ve taken some pictures when the sun was up. The regal read appears pretty sexy to me.

after looking over a bunch of different reds I’ve eliminated most but still have two more I would like to try. Some gloss sunrise and some safety red.

it’s sort of hard to tell on just the Internet, but when I actually lay some paint down I can see the color. With that said however, based on the Internet pictures, I’m leaning towards the gloss sunrise.

pictured below is the cherry red and the regal red

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Gas tank sealer should stop the leaks. Finish off the metal work and tape over where the leaks are just in case there is a slim chance of it leaking through.

Steve.
Thanks and I touched up the brazing a bit more and slowed the leaks even more

Reactions: fasteddy