Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
So I got the clutch cable and hand lever hooked up to the clutch lever. Works fine.

However my throttle cable is too long. If the plastic shielding on the outside was longer it would work. Is this the best way to address this issue? Cutting and using silver solder.

Or has anyone successfully spliced extra plastic around the cable?

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
The whole throttle thing was frustrating me, so I took a break from that

In the meantime I finished brazing one end of the gas tank and it’s unbelievably, holding water. Will definitely still use a tank sealer but brazing the small leaks was the way to go.

Should I drill the petcock and filler cap holes and solder them first before welding the other end of the tank on?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'd drill the holes first so there is a vent in the tank and then weld the end up and solder the filler neck and petcock after your finished welding. That way the filler neck and petcock won't be in your way as your working.

You won't believe how easy you can mess up seating the needle slide back into the carb until you do it. You also won't believe how many times in the future you'll check it to make sure you don't do it again.

Steve

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I'd drill the holes first so there is a vent in the tank and then weld the end up and solder the filler neck and petcock after your finished welding. That way the filler neck and petcock won't be in your way as your working.

You won't believe how easy you can mess up seating the needle slide back into the carb until you do it. You also won't believe how many times in the future you'll check it to make sure you don't do it again.

Steve
Lol, I know that’s right and thanks for direction on the tank.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Perfecting your chain line is essential.
My H. D. will roll forward all day. Back it up 3/4 wheel rotation and the chain walks off. Rag joints suck for no adjustment.
Flyer with perfect chain line is indifferent to rolling direction.
If your chain feeds with out flaw forward or backward, yer good. Maybe not perfect but good enough.
Tensioners are not needed with Diamond brand chain.
Tensioners for POS 415 yes.
Tom
So I just got done walking the bike about 15 feet and backing it up. No chain rubbing anywhere and no alignment problems. No sprocket jumping

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin

Couple of questions for you, what motor is that?

Did you build the toolbox, have not seen that on Pats website?

Pat's motorbikes are very Indian based. His reduction drive/transfer drive is pure Indian.
The Flyer 80 and 160 use a Bully centrifugal single disc clutch. Ain't cheap, but delivers engine braking.
Pat has them set up just for the 80 from the factory. Slick.
My bike is a Sportsman Flyer 80. The 80 is the Harbor Freight 79cc Predator engine. Can be Hot rodded.
The box on top of the tank straddling the top frame tube was fabricated by Dan Orabona.
Pat has in partnership with Worksman Bicycles mostly been a precision production builder.
Dan, is a one off mostly Indian styled fabricator , artist.
His 1913 Oscar Hedstrom, cradle-spring frame recreation stands as a masterpiece.
(20+) Taylar Cycles | Facebook
Dan made the tool box. I gave him basic specs. Bicycle inner tube sheets made it tight
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Couple of questions for you, what motor is that?

Did you build the toolbox, have not seen that on Pats website?

Pat's motorbikes are very Indian based. His reduction drive/transfer drive is pure Indian.
The Flyer 80 and 160 use a Bully centrifugal single disc clutch. Ain't cheap, but delivers engine braking.
Pat has them set up just for the 80 from the factory. Slick.
My bike is a Sportsman Flyer 80. The 80 is the Harbor Freight 79cc Predator engine. Can be Hot rodded.
The box on top of the tank straddling the top frame tube was fabricated by Dan Orabona.
Pat has in partnership with Worksman Bicycles mostly been a precision production builder.
Dan, is a one off mostly Indian styled fabricator , artist.
His 1913 Oscar Hedstrom, cradle-spring frame recreation stands as a masterpiece.
(20+) Taylar Cycles | Facebook
Dan made the tool box. I gave him basic specs. Bicycle inner tube sheets made it tight
Tom
Thanks Tom, valuable information for the future.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
These handlebars from Pat are slick. Literally five screws and I flipped them up to make it look more street than board track racer. No cable adjustment or disconnection necessary. Gives me nice options.

so I could flip the handlebars up, put on a different seat and a old headlight for a secondary look.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Glad to be of service Danny, looks like you chose the offset one. Make sure you have full clamp on the brake arm.
Pretzeling a brake arm can be hazardous to your hide.
What do you think of the Shadow Conspiracy chain box?
Took a chain and a half for pedal side. Crazy Kool BMX chain. Have to have a trick a$$ breaker/maker tool
Chain must be tough. Culver City Classics, Jeff Wolf uses it drive side.
Installation Information - Shadow Interlock BMX Chain - YouTube
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Glad to be of service Danny, looks like you chose the offset one. Make sure you have full clamp on the brake arm.
Pretzeling a brake arm can be hazardous to your hide.
What do you think of the Shadow Conspiracy chain box?
Took a chain and a half for pedal side. Crazy Kool BMX chain. Have to have a trick a$$ breaker/maker tool
Chain must be tough. Culver City Classics, Jeff Wolf uses it drive side.
Installation Information - Shadow Interlock BMX Chain - YouTube
Tom
I did put the offset one on. Just looking at it closer I believe I’ll try the other one also to see how it fits.

Tom, your shipping containers are top notch, and that’s a sweet little tool, adding it to my wishlist...

the chain does look tough also.

thanks again

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Doing a little something extra to this bike I had not planned on. Of course, the whole fabrication thing wasn’t planned on.

Here’s a sneak preview. Remaining needed part will be here next Tuesday. Have the other parts on hand.
rest of the parts come tomorrow

baby steps

Attachments