cargo bike design?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by irishpowerjunkie, Jul 4, 2013.

1. irishpowerjunkie

has anyone on here ever made a cargo bike with shopping cart/trolley as I am considering making one with old trolley and rigid framed bike. I plan to try and use a trike/go cart axle if possible at back of trolley with back triangle cut off bike and trolley welded on. would this be a good design and how would I link up bike gears still not sure.
    [​IMG]
    this is similar idea but I plan it to be lower and have a ramp for allowing lawnmower/wheelbarrow/etc to be wheeled on and off easily as plan on using for garden maintaince business

2. msrfan

msrfan Well-Known Member

3. chainmaker

chainmaker New Member

4. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

Attached Files:

5. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

I like the idea.

To get your cargo area lower, you'll probably have to go with a trike, sidecar or trailer design. Sidecar and trailer both have the advantage of being far more stable for loading and unloading. I posted it elsewhere, but here's a link to Xtracycle, they have an extension kit system and sidecar that they claim can hold 250 lbs.

Food for thought, if nothing else.

6. maniac57

maniac57 Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Xtracycle makes some nice stuff. Expensive though...

7. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

Definately. That's part of the downside of it being a 'niche market' and having a system designed to be that modular and upgradable.

However I'm thinking someone with a welder and the stock pipe might be able to bodge something similar together.

8. irishpowerjunkie

I think i may go with trailer idea and make it so it may be used for multiple bikes. Thanks for the links though would be thinking along two wheeled variety.

9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

I like it. I could take my dog for a ride on it.

10. irishpowerjunkie

Yeah good use for it eswell as i have a dog myself a lab called podge.pure black and crazy for water and sticks. Favouite toy is a plastic bottle he destroys everyday