Caoboy's Huffy cruiser build

GoldenMotor.com

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
I just used the grips that came with the kit, they match the bike. My bro stole the other grips for his build..I wonder if he's updated his yet..

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Got the engine mounted.

Still need to get some pics up.

Exhaust has literally like .001" of clearance lol. I should hit it with a feeler gauge and really see what the clearance is. I may need to align the motor to get the chain aligned, so this may change. I'm running my brother's old exhaust for now, it was bent in the 'right direction' where mine was hitting. Whatever works, right?

I need to fit the tank still, something along the lines of coupler extensions or an extended strap..idk how other people are mounting their tanks on this bike. I'll have to look into their build threads. I believe I saw one guy use a rear rack.

The CDI needs longer bolts as well. It fits on the seat post downtube but I'd have to extend the wires to get everything to wire up.

A trip to the hardware store is in order....

Still need to get those pics up....

Also, my bro picked up some sort of chain tensioner...I can't remember from who. I think it was through bike berry. It's pretty cool. I may need to make my own version!

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Last edited:

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Actually, scratch buying a front brake, I already did, for the other bike :)

Now I just need to grab a 29"/700c wheel that accepts a cantilever, and I'll be good to go.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
I very 'carefully' sanded the rim with a flap disc on my angle grinder. Then I hit it by hand with some 400? grit sand paper. It was around that grit. Smoothed it out a bit, it works.

This was the result. I was pleased to see the rim is actually metal and not a composite like my brother and I both thought given how didn't sound like metal when we first gave it the 'knock' test.

Front brake put on...new front brake cable (due to the old one fraying and not being the right length anyways) it stops better now..but would eventually like to upgrade to a V brake/suspension fork/ better rim, or end up with a suspension fork+disc brake set.

You can also see my new tire. I like these tires, for $30 a piece they aren't too shabby. We'll see how long they hold up with riding though.

I've also ordered a balaclava for cold weather riding, and a front light with a rechargeable battery pack.

Last thing I'll need to get before this is 'complete' is a new chain tensioner...the spring tensioner from BikeBerry is looking like the #1 contender right now...

Last edited:

Ryoskate

Nov 30, 2015
Houston!
Make sure to wipe that metal dust off with some chemical. I wiped mine with some shop towel and thought it was good enough, went back with WD-40 and Windex and the poor towel came out pencil lead black.

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
Bah! Humbug! There are too many problem free CranBrook, or other off brand name builds to ignore. If I remember, there have been a few "Name Brand" builds that have failed. I don't see anyone condemning the whole fleet.

Do your homework, If you cut, maybe you could modify and strengthen.

My folks bought me a Huffy Radio bike back in the '50's, cost about $60.00.
what would that equate to todqay? $t, $531.00.00, that's right, $531.00 american dollars.

Not a cheap bike, would that make it to Vale's list of acceptable bikes? It sure would cost enough, so it must be good, huh?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Bah! Humbug! There are too many problem free CranBrook, or other off brand name builds to ignore.

Not a cheap bike, would that make it to Vale's list of acceptable bikes? It sure would cost enough, so it must be good, huh?
I just call 'em like what I seen 'em.
I have yet another buyer of a CaigsList $350 Huffy based MB bringing it to me to 'fix'.

I really don't care who thinks starting with a $90 bike is some sort of bargain, it's crap to start with which is exasperated when you put an engine on it.

Sure you can put more money and time into it, I just prefer to start with $200+ bikes as a base and not have to dick with it.

This guy that just bought a POS CL bike sure wisher he had known that as he will ending paying way more at it will still be a POS.

Really though, expound on the virtues of going cheap.
I on the other hand know the virtues of quality and only build to that standard as someones life depends on it.

hazzardous1

Mar 16, 2016
illinois
has anyone tried the rims that gasbike has for sale just blew a load on them and am curious if i should return them before something horrible happens?

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
I never ride in shorts. Always jeans.

Also, I acquired my M1 license as well!

Now I'm legal on my end...someday I'll get the bike registered.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I never ride in shorts. Always jeans.
You don't live in Phoenix.
We don't wear long pants unless we have too.
Heck, I don't wear anything but a Light T and fashionable boxers in the shop and only pull on my shorts when needed in the summer, which really isn't that often for me.