Caoboy's Huffy cruiser build

GoldenMotor.com

dbledsoe

Apr 22, 2015
Boise
Tonight I took my brother's Sportsman Flyer 'broken' hub sprocket adapter and tested it on my rear hub. It definitely does not fit the 1.50" hub. I know they say 1.52", but I just wanted to make sure. Looks like the bolts bottom out before they completely tighten onto the hub. I can spin it with ease.

Darn...because I was going to chase the threads on the sprocket studs and fix it for myself! :D

Now I have to decide if I want to go with the gasbike 1.50" hub adapter http://www.gasbike.net/36-tooth-cnc-sprocket-adapter-4102-prd1.html (Does anybody know if it's actually 1.50 vs the 1.52 which is more common with the other brands of adapters?) or go straight for a new rear wheel (26" of course, which means a new tire and tube as well) with a 'proper' coaster hub and spring for the SF adapter since it bolts onto the hub more uniformly with 3 bolts vs 2.

Would this be worth my time? http://www.gasbike.net/CNC-Pineapple-Sprocket-Bushing-Kit-4153-prd1.html
Sportsman Flyer sprocket hubs are, arguably, the best on the market. They are designed to be used with Worksman wheels, again, arguably the best on the market.

Be that as it may, if you are fitting a SF sprocket hub to something other than a Worksman wheel and, as you claim, it doesn't quite fit (I'll asume by a few thousandths of an inch) then go to a nearby hobby store and buy some brass shim stock. It comes in varying thicknesses from a couple thousands to about twenty thousands, and typically they offer a multi-pack with some of each thickness size. You can cut it with sicissors to fit the inside diameter of the sprocket hub flange to wheel hub to take up the space.

P.S. Spend the money on Worksman wheels. You won't regret it... and Worksman wheels come with excellent bearings and are properly trued wheels with heavy 11 gauge spokes.

dbledsoe

Apr 22, 2015
Boise
Don't waste your time with the CNC Pineapple from Gasbike... they only fit one size hub, and it's pretty small. I got one just to see if they would be a viable option for mounting a sprocket and out of about 12 different rims I tried it on it only actually fit on one of the smaller hubed front rims (like the ones you would find on older bikes with the 5/16" axle bolts) I got in my stock room. As far as it fitting on any of my rear rims it was a no go for all of them, and there's no way it would fit on a coaster brake rear.
If we're talking about the same CNC'd billet pineapple sprocket to wheel hub clamp adapter... well in short, you are wrong. Gas Bike offers them in three hub sizes (diameters), 1" 1.5" and 1.8" and sprocket sizes in 30t, 36t, 40t, and 44t. I usually buy the 1.5" hub size as that seems to be common for single speed cruisers. Haven't run across a hub they don't fit, although I did have one really off-brand cruiser hub that I had to shim to fit the Gas Bike sprocket hub adapter, but that was easy enough using brass shim stock from a local hobby store.

If we are talking two different items, please let me know and I will withdraw my "you are wrong" comment. This is the sprocket adapter I am referring to: http://www.gasbike.net/40-tooth-cnc-sprocket-adapter.html

Last edited:

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Dbledsoe, no that is wrong. The pineapple hub is like an 'upgraded' rag joint. It is a moot point now that I have a used sportsmans flyer hub :)

dbledsoe

Apr 22, 2015
Boise
Dbledsoe, no that is wrong. The pineapple hub is like an 'upgraded' rag joint. It is a moot point now that I have a used sportsmans flyer hub :)
Thank you for the correction. You were talking apples while I oranges. My apology to Davezilla.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
This wound up in my garage today...

It fits! I want/need to get a front mount from SBP. Rear mount fits like a glove. (engine is not mounted in this picture)

I need to massage this exhaust piping for now. Is the exhaust aluminium or stainless steel? If it's AL I'll heat it up and bend it...if it's SS I'll cut and turn it a bit and re-weld it back together. Eventually I want to get an MZ parts miami (or whatever the name is) flat black expansion chamber exhaust off eBay.

SF sprocket adaper sitting pretty. (NOTE TO SELF: IT IS ONLY HAND TIGHT! NEED TO BLUE LOCKTITE IT!)

The peanut tank is looking like it's going to make it's way into this build...for now at least! Already have some more ideas of how to build a tank...this time custom planishing with a hammer and a log...my mind is wandering...but I remember this older article I read a long time ago... http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Hammerforming-and-Planishing.htm

Last edited:

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
And lastly....Just because you can...doesn't mean you should...The ape hangers are HUGE. I'm 5'-9". I don't think it is very wise to actually use this on a motorbike. I also don't even think the throttle cable is long enough! I am most likely going to swap these with the rootbeer bike and sell them off..besides, I already have all the controls hooked up to the BTR bars!

More pics tomorrow or Thursday, when I get around to swapping those bars. Tomorrow I have fabrication class..I'm going to take those steel wheels you see in the first bike pic and that 1/4" plate that I welded together into a mighty fine round piece...and make a fire pit.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The exhaust is steel, chrome plated. It can be bent cold, no need for heat. Heating will only ruin the chrome and isn't necessary with a little leverage applied. Clamp the flange in a vice and go to work. Just go slow and check your progress often. You can protect the chrome by using some wood in your vice jaws.

Another trick is to elongate the holes in the flange slightly. This will allow the pipe to be rotated a little and is often enough to get frame or pedal clearance.

And you're right about the apes. They look great and are surprisongly comfortable to ride with but they do impact the geometery of the steering which can make for some interesting moments.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...with a little leverage applied (it will bend).
Clamp the flange in a vice and go to work.
Depending on how big your vice is, and what it is attached too, a vice won't work, or sure hasn't for me anyway, the mount moves before the pipe bends.

I stick the flange end in a 2" open end of trailer frame to hold that end, and use the pipe itself as leverage for tweak bends, including extending the leverage from there as the fixed mount isn't going anywhere.

Another trick is to elongate the holes in the flange slightly.
This will allow the pipe to be rotated a little and is often enough to get frame or pedal clearance.
Yep, my favorite way, we call it 'reamey-reamey' here and use it often.
In short it is just elongating a hole by putting the same size drill bit in it and then angling the drill back and forth in a straight line to make a hole a slot.

There is more to it than that, but that is where you start.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
KC,
Maybe you should explore mouting your vice differently. I've bent quite a few exhaust pipes without heat or having my vice move.

The point being that the pipe CAN be bent enough to clear a frame or pedals without resorting to cutting, welding or otherwise damaging the pipe. Judging from the photo provided by the OP he doesn't need much of a bend to get the pipe away from the downtube. A few degrees of twist should do it.

One other method that I have not personally used but sounds like it would work is to bolt the flange to an immovable surface. Just make sure that surface isn't the engine. That's where you can do some real damage.

Tom

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
LOL! I have access to plenty of tools to get the job done.. I didn't think about reaming the mount holes to get it to fit...

I'll need to get the front mount situated before I start bending the exhaust. That'll determine how much I really need to do to clearance it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KC,
Maybe you should explore mouting your vice differently.
I've bent quite a few exhaust pipes without heat or having my vice move.
Tom
After finally getting the last of the family leaches out our my house I wasted no time commandeering that extra ~450sq for my shop before yet another guest can get in there for a week that turns into a year ;-}

That has allowed me to finally have enough room to bring in Pop's master dining room table to use as another work bench.
6'L x 3'4"W x 2" thick hardwood top.

The top is 2.5' from the floor and now the new home for all my bolt down machines and other hand tools.

The swiveling vice, metal bending break bar, wire wheel/grinder, 12 ton press, small drill press, and large drill press are now bolted to it and it's rock solid.

Just getting started with it in there to see how it it is to work with and then putting all the other tools like drills, dremell, saber saw, tin snips, pipe bender (leaning against bench), bits, files, etc in there with their own places and plenty of power outlets as we use them on that bench as well.

1800sf indoor space, ~half of it is now my shop space and it does not effect our living space at all.

This is the exhaust I would like to run. It just looks 'cool'.

And before I lost the name again... here's the link for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...212120?hash=item3f519d7098:g:buUAAOSwd0BVxkVz
Watch what you wear for pants.
I suggest denim jeans as that pipe is not friendly to shorts or anything synthetic.

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Jeans while riding, at minimum, always...safety first! That full face helmet in that ape hanger pic wasn't just for the shot ! :)

How hard would it be to make that expansion chamber, opposed to purchasing it?

I have a 2x4 (half sheet) of 14g stainless steel...I'm wondering if I can turn that into an exhaust as well as a tank now.

14ga might be too heavy though....

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Swapped the handlebars

Not sure how I like these grips. I may change them...can I take the grip off of the throttle?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Most throttle grips have a plastic sleeve. Normally slips right of or warm the rubber/glue with hair drier or heat gun. After that slip it off.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
aahhhh hair dryer. Thanks. I will probably do this tomorrow.

Tonight...gotta go play some poker and win more money to finish out this build ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Moto is right. Heat works but so will a squirt of WD40. Slide a thin screwdriver blade between the grip and the handlebar or throttle and spray a little WD in then grip and twist. They'll slide right off.

Hint: WD-40 can also be used to install the grips. They'll allow them to slide on easily and after a few minutes they get tight. Just slightly wet the inside of the grip with WD and push it on.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Swapped the handlebars
Not sure how I like these grips. I may change them...
can I take the grip off of the throttle?
Yes, I always toss the hard stock grips, they make your hands numb.

I just take my utility knife to it length wise from the collar until I peel it off.

You have the 'fancy' grips with silver plastic on each end, it takes a little more work but they come off and then can be placed where they belong, the garbage can, though I do keep the left side ones in pairs for pedal bikers.

No sense in keeping the throttle side, they are too big for regular handlebars, and getting a new right side grip to fit over the plastic throttle barrel can be tough.

I use foam BMX grips for most.

They are regular handlebar size, but you can 'milk' one over the throttle barrel with a little dish soap and warm water much cheaper than using WD-40.

Fancy bicycle grips like foam backed leather grips deserve some special attention to keeping them like these.

Stitched leather has a nice wet pliability to it and when looking for replacement grips maybe a good place to start for more fancy, longer lasting, and perhaps more comfortable grips as they are the most important interface between the bike and you.

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Got the grips on, thanks guys.

Also, fabbed up a front mount, based off my brother's SBP mount. Pics later.
Cool. What grips did you use?

The SBP muffler clamp mount works great. Uou get a 360 degree grip and flat spot to mount to.