build no.2 the wifes beach trike

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Has anyone else but me noticed that Rc can be diverted rather easy ? lol
an I think we should appoint Yank to be the new designated search engine . lol he's got a knack for finding stuff .

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thats sure true Tom . I love those guys .
last night I went to mount the speedo cable an test it made up the new cable an hooked it all up an found out I mounted the sending unit upside down an the speedo ran backwards ! boy did I feel dumb ,cut to 3 hours later an a total teardown of the rear. problem solved but a much better mount .an the sending unit has absolutly no move ment in it at all before it would tourqe just a tiny bit as the axel spun . ok all feel free to laugh or even giggle .such an amater mistake ! oh well .lesson learned.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't feel bad, Gary. We've all done things like that. If it makes you feel any better here's one on me.

I have a lot of aviation experience. Air Force, flying jets, then years as a cargo hauler and many many hours in general aviation, instructor, towed banners, towed gliders, etc. I was also into radio control model planes and in particular, scale planes. I built a beautiful 8' wing span Stearman biplane and took it out to the flying field for it's maiden flight. Crashed it, destroyed it completely. Why? I had the ailerons hooked up backwards. A left command to the stick and the plane banked to the right, and kept banking right into the ground. All of the guys said they'd never fly with me in a real plane again after that. I never lived that one down. :)
Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,
I was wondering what you used to power a plane with an 8' wing span. Terrible shame that you lost it.
Have you build another one since?

Worst part was there were witnesses so you can't even come up with a good story to cover yourself.

Steve.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Aw shucks.
Never started out with much money, and I ain't gonna start buying lotto tickets...
and now it seems time is running short.

If I can help out a few more people... if they pull one decent idea out of my two cents, somewhere... well, that would be a good thing! :)

and the people on THIS side of the keyboard are afraid I'll be like the old fisherman...
Old fishermen don't die, they just smell that way!

lol

Best
rc

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I tell ya you guys are nuts . In a good way .
Well its been a zoo here for almost a week an havent done too awful much on that trike , but in what lil time I made here an there ,I got all the lights converted to led except the hdlamp but they are all mounted an waiting to be wired ,built the bars ....so much for trying to keep them clean looking , although I may yet fish everything I can up through them to hide what I can , an had a minor set back took all of an hour to fix I nicked a corner on the tank while moving it an had to spot that in , it never fails every time we build something ya always git it somewhere no mater how careful ya are . so here are some pics of progress .
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
finally got a break in the action around here an at home so I started figuring out the wiring harness the nest is going to be up under the dash , an the main harness from there to the back looks like a mess but once under the bed an neatly tied down should hide preety well . hope to get some more time on it next week , cause its ready for the first start up after I get the tandem rear brake cable an the brakes adjusted an the harness finalized .
Gary

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice and neat wiring, Gary. looks so much better than wire nuts and tie wraps.
But, we expected no less from you. Good work, sir.
Tom

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thanks Tom , I am preety good at wiring the part that bugs me about it is how particular I can get, it never seems to lay in exactly as nice as I imagine it .
killer , no gremlins in the wiring ,ya just have to map it out on paper first an then build one system at a time , for instance the only 2 systems in my pics that are ready for power minus the lights are the main supply an running light circut , still have to do the charging system brakes an turn sigs .

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thanks Yank , I have been using heatshrink an automotive conduit , that stuff there will help keep it cleaner looking on the next build .
Gary

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Here we are terminal block all wired ,an I hate how sloppy it looks thank goodness it all hides under the dash before I attach it to the top tube I will try an neaten it up (if thats possible ) . Deb should love it the master power switch has a red indicator to tell ya the powers on an the turnsig relay makes a neat beeping sound when on an the highbeams are on a blue indicator light. I picked up one lil detail that I did not run past her , but I think she will love it I found a lil 8 ball knob that will mount on the dash somewhere probably on the master power switch , I think that will knock the dash outta the park . heres the mess pic .probably finish the dash tonight an remainder of the wiring on the motor an start it in a day or 2 .
Gary

Attachments