build no.2 the wifes beach trike

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Tom, thank you for the complement , but I just consider myself good at what I do , a true craftsman's work would make mine look like a childs work .
Killer, That wire hanging over the pedal is for the charging system , I consider that part of the engine electronics its getting connected to the mags white wire an run through a fullwave bridge rectifier an a doide ,the same system I run on my chopper an it extended my batteries needed recharge to well over 13 hours of use just by putting back about 500 miliamp max continuos every time I run thr motor, an yes, a brake light switch attached to the rear drum brake , the coaster is essentialy useless with the sbp jack shaft . but.
I need to find away to build some kind of parking brake soon , that trike is always trying to roll away from me , I actually think its trying to say "lets go !" all I can say is soon very soon .
Have a good weekend all .
Gary

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I should have figured Tom was pulling our leg. It sure didn't make sense to me.
Gnu, you could use a clutch lever for a parking brake. Or you could use an ATV brake lever which usually has a locking feature. I got one that was dual brake, had a built in stop switch, locking brake feature and thumb control throttle to use on the Indian Hiawatha.
SB

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I have idea using aspects of the kit supplied clutch lever , I locks right , why not adapt the lock from it to her dual pull brake lever or just hand build a similar peice an add it to it . I may take a quick look at those later today or early tomorrow an figure out my plan of attack .

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Hey all , took a break from the cars flooding my shop , an helped my son refinish his guitar in a old ww2 bomber theme , while he was painting I was building the parking brake for the trike , heres a couple pics .
this thing holds that bike in place like its bolted to the ground ,simple, easy do it in your sleep, mod .
if theres any musicians out there heres a couple of the guitar too.
Have a good eve
Gary

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That should be a dandy parking brake!

Way back when, I had lots of difficulty with my trike rear brakes.
...had new friction material put on the shoes and never could get 'em adjusted properly... one side or the other would lock if I tried to use 'em more than a little bit. Was ok, though, because I had a nice disk on the front.

Got paint advice today?
A nickel sized kerchunk on a squire strat I got here... cracked the thick epoxy coating right off! I was thinking of filling it with some AB epoxy w/microballoons, then using some universal tint in some thinned AB to do a colorcoat over it once repaired and sanded down.
Think that will fly?

Tnx
rc

Attachments

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
only thing I would do different RC is use wood putty then epoxy make sure you give it about a week in the sun to give things time to settle an shrink before you topcoat it .
hey I will send ya a private of a fender neck an a ibanez body humbucker hybrib I built later , every one says it looks cheesy but it plays fantastic.
Gary

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Eww! Why would you want to repair a fender? Burn it! :p But if you have to, there's plastic wood, or even bondo...

That's a good looking axe gnuman. I'm still working on my baby's paint.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

Yah yah...

I know it's a squier, but I like the action on it!
The neck is nice and straight, and it plays real well with the light strings I use.
I ain't so good anyway... but I pick it up once and a while and plug it in to the little pig snout. lol Boy did I have fun for a while when I discovered flangers and stuff like that!
The little Zoom pedal kept me occupied for months! lol
Best
rc