Boy-go-fast?

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I know, everyone want's to be like me.rotfl
And again, I feel the need to say "sorry" for coming off sounding like a "know it all A-hole". But we've been through all of this before.
Rick Shi buy's the cheapest engine kit he can find, then sells it cheaper then anyone else. Most of the complaints I hear about Rick are in the customer service department. I've NEVER had a problem with him in this. He has sent me free parts on numerous occaisions.
I would like to see some of the emails between Rick and people who have been F' off'ed by him. I would wager that they weren't as polite as they could have been and didn't say "please" even once. If I were selling like him I wouldn't respond as quickly to a disrespectfull, demanding email either. If you hit him in his ego like you need his help to solve the problem then he can't help himself, he will respond. And, of course, it never hurts to say please.
fatdaddy.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Truly great advise FD. Folks who are frustrated, myself most certainly included, can come off less then pleasant when angry.

This thread is yrs old and just seems to get folks fired up. Just asking here as a fellow member, can we all agree to keep it civil?

We are all friends and differing opinions are going to happen.

Is BGF Chinese? Not important. But I took a course yrs back on doing business with Asia and more specifically China. The absolute surest way to create an economic enemy is to threaten. Just a cultural, nuance thing.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I get a big kick out of reading his Neg. Feedbacks. This one guy bought his chrome kit and the motor plated chrome on one side and paint silver on other . Shi told him he has now control over the quality of the finish . Man I laugh to myself to sleep that night .people pay good money to get used engines and use parts .not to mention defective .

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I get a big kick out of reading his Neg. Feedbacks. This one guy bought his chrome kit and the motor plated chrome on one side and paint silver on other . Shi told him he has now control over the quality of the finish . Man I laugh to myself to sleep that night .people pay good money to get used engines and use parts .not to mention defective .
It's like I keep saying bro. If you want and can afford quality, then yer probably gonna hafta shop elswhere. If yer poor (like me,) and know how to deal with or fix the problems that might arise with BGF, Then buying from Rick is OK. I've probably got nearly 60 builds behind me so I've got a few parts (new and used,) in my shop. It costs me less in time AND money to just fix something rather than try to ship it back and all that entails. Also, like I keep saying, I've never had a problem with getting a bad part replaced by Rick. He usually lets me keep the defective part and will just ship me a new one, No charge. Last time it was what I THOUGHT was a defective head. Turned out it was just the "new style", but he sent me another one anyway.(with the gasket.)
fatdaddy.

ahdunno

Nov 14, 2012
Apopka (Orlando), FL
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but I appreciate all the info in this thread. Seems to me that it's not just BGF. If you buy an economy priced kit, you need to check it out before running it. Open it up and check for machining debris and such. The comments about using lube for the first start is a great idea. I plan on buying from BGF. Slight differences in his kits has weighed my decision. I especially like the kits that have the 4 bolt short chain tensioner. I'll upgrade or fab my own eventually, when finances are better.
I'm hoping that with the correct initial precautions, my first build will go well.

Thanks guys.
-Mark

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but I appreciate all the info in this thread. Seems to me that it's not just BGF. If you buy an economy priced kit, you need to check it out before running it. Open it up and check for machining debris and such. The comments about using lube for the first start is a great idea. I plan on buying from BGF. Slight differences in his kits has weighed my decision. I especially like the kits that have the 4 bolt short chain tensioner. I'll upgrade or fab my own eventually, when finances are better.
I'm hoping that with the correct initial precautions, my first build will go well.

Thanks guys.
-Mark
Welcome to the forum bro.
If you get your kit from BGF then I know for a fact that he uses the NEW STYLE high compression heads. If you run yer new BGF (or any) engine for 3 to 5 minutes and it wants to start quiting, It's overheating, put another head gasket on it. You can either simply put another thin one on WITH the one thats on it, or if you have a thicker one, only that one will be enough. My best advice is to order an extra head gasket WITH your new engine or you'll be waiting for one in the mail while yer bike just sits. Even if you don't need it NOW, you probably will in the future. And they're only about $5.00.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/motor-engin...459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abe58a953
Then again, If yer gonna take the top end off to check it out anyway, yer gonna kinda need a top end gasket set. A new head gasket will come with that set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/bicycle-Mot...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2574a8d5cb
If you want to see the difference beyween the two heads I think I have pictures. Just let me know.
And yeah, the 4 bolt short tensioners are a more solid mount. I prefer them over the long 2 bolt style.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Thanks for the input FD. That top end set seems the way to go.
No problemo. I found the pics I was talking about. You can see the difference by how far the spark plug comes through. The new style looks like they forgot to take all the metal out of the head and the plug doesn't even reach all the way through to the chamber. The old style is the more concave one.
The new style is SUPPOSED to increase compression, and it does, just TOO MUCH, which makes the darned things overheat with only the thin gasket on it.
fatdaddy.
And OH YEAH You can re-use the head gasket you pull off the new engine, ONCE. If ya don't run it or at least, run it very little. If ya get the thin one it yer new gasket set then use both new and old head gaskets together.

Attachments

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I have had very good experience with BGF and actually he has even sent me a new clutch arm for free. He has even given me discounts as well. So far so good!
And I bet yer always polite and say please when ya deal with him. I've never had a problem with him either, but I think my people skills are a little better than average. If ya talk crap to someone, thats what yer gonna get back, CRAP.
fatdaddy.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
You know I wonder if that's what caused my pull started to practically rip my fingers off my hand. In fact on one aggressive pull, brought the bike 3 feet off the ground and when it came back down it impaled my foot with the kick stand "had my leather Jesus sandals on". that was the pull starters last day on this earth

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
You know I wonder if that's what caused my pull started to practically rip my fingers off my hand. In fact on one aggressive pull, brought the bike 3 feet off the ground and when it came back down it impaled my foot with the kick stand "had my leather Jesus sandals on". that was the pull starters last day on this earth
WHY? Did ya buy it from BGF?
But if I may impart a little old school wisdom on ya bro. If you've ever started an old lawn mower, ya KNOW ya gotta put yer foot on it to hold it down or you'll just wind up pulling it across the front yard. Same thing with ANY pull start. Put yer foot on it or sit on it, or tie it down, OR SOMETHING.
And also, I NEVER wear sandals when messing with mechanical stuff. I think you just found out why. It would be a funny story if ya didn't get hurt doin it. I hope yer foot is OK or at least healing.
fatdaddy.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I ordered 3 rack mount gas tanks from BGF and one cap was damaged. Sent a polite Email and a new one was sent - no problems and didn't have to ship the old one back or pay for shipping on the new one.

I try to be polite when dealing with people and it usually works. A few compliments and patience have gone a long way.

There is an old computer adage: Garbage In - Garbage Out (GIGO). It is the same when dealing with people. If you feed them a bunch of garbage, that's what is going to come back.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
you know how it goes faddy you start off by just looking at something .. the next thing you know tinkering then your hands are lil dirty and then your ass deep in something you weren't gonna do till later

I did have my foot on the pedal but it slipped off mid pull "two handed pull" I know about not wearing the sandals all too well ..I'm all healed up now Faddy This was last summer The part I didn't mention "the real funny part" was after I did that to my foot , I picked up the entire bike over my head and body slammed it on the ground
|
as if that wasn't enough I then grabbed the handle bars and whipped it around as if I was playing that old track & field video game when you spin around and try to fling the ball without letting it go too soon or too late I then limped into the house and plopped down on the recliner cracked open a cold one and that was the end of me for 3 days let the bike sit there for around a week or so :-||

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Your 100% correct

[QUOTE
I try to be polite when dealing with people and it usually works. A few compliments and patience have gone a long way.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue[/QUOTE]

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
you know how it goes faddy you start off by just looking at something .. the next thing you know tinkering then your hands are lil dirty and then your ass deep in something you weren't gonna do till later

I did have my foot on the pedal but it slipped off mid pull "two handed pull" I know about not wearing the sandals all too well ..I'm all healed up now Faddy This was last summer The part I didn't mention "the real funny part" was after I did that to my foot , I picked up the entire bike over my head and body slammed it on the ground
|
as if that wasn't enough I then grabbed the handle bars and whipped it around as if I was playing that old track & field video game when you spin around and try to fling the ball without letting it go too soon or too late I then limped into the house and plopped down on the recliner cracked open a cold one and that was the end of me for 3 days let the bike sit there for around a week or so :-||
There ya go, Now THATS a funny story. Still, I'm glad yer foot is OK..kick2
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd like to see a few of the emails between Rick Shi and the ones claiming to be mistreated by him. I'll bet they never used PLEASE or THANK YOU, not even once.
Rick (pretty much,) sells the same kit most venders sell. I don't hear a lot of issues with the kit itself, just customer service if something DOES go wrong. And then the problem. Tell Rick he sent you a #*^%# pile of garbage and say you want your %^$#* money back, NOW, OR ELSE, then call him names and insult his wife while yer at it. Well, Don't expect a prompt reply.
And I can't remember who said it, but Rick is Asian and the Asian culture is ALL ABOUT being polite. If you insult an Asian they will probably NEVER forgive you. Americans are a little different. You can insult me, (a little,) and kinda get away with it. I'll try to find out why you think I'm a piece of crap. But the first , even small, percieved insult to an Asian will be the last. They will either ignore you or be VERY, VERY slow fixing your problem after that.
So all ya gotta do when dealing with Rick is remember, Please and thank you go a LONG way.
fatdaddy.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
WHY? Did ya buy it from BGF?
But if I may impart a little old school wisdom on ya bro. If you've ever started an old lawn mower, ya KNOW ya gotta put yer foot on it to hold it down or you'll just wind up pulling it across the front yard. Same thing with ANY pull start. Put yer foot on it or sit on it, or tie it down, OR SOMETHING.
And also, I NEVER wear sandals when messing with mechanical stuff. I think you just found out why. It would be a funny story if ya didn't get hurt doin it. I hope yer foot is OK or at least healing.
fatdaddy.
Yea you would figure after drilling wells for 25+ years I'd know enough to wear at least sneakers when doing this, but it was a day off and had to air out the feet They are very durable on the bottom just no protection on the top & Yes it was funny a s a mf even when it happened wish I had it on video
!! For the record! It wasn't BGF's fault for my crappy pull starter they just suck in general on a 2 stroke.
<<<<UPDATE>>> The bike an I are getting along great we understand each other much better now I've since gotten to a point where I can lift the rear tire and kick my pedal to start the bike now if needed She's..running beautiful this year!!!

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I just bought another kit from B.G.F. for my brother well he actually paid for it. I just DID IT FOR HIM.
I wanted to get the black one, however with the old black attracts heat theory I figured it would run hotter, and as hot as they already run an extra 5° may be the difference between life and ahhh death of the motor on a long haul on a ho summer day that being said I went with the silver one.
Does anyone know or has anyone done a test to see ll do the black motors run hotter ''in the summer'' than the silver ones id imagine they would I'm sure this has been posted on before but i tend to blend my posts together so sorry if the question is in the wrong category