Bike Has Spark, Won’t Start

GoldenMotor.com

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
So I have attached a pic of the magneto. I cannot see a key on this as shown in the photo above. It’s not sitting at top dead center in the photo, i don’t believe, i just took the photo to show no real visible key. I have attempted to replace the CDI in the past and got one that wouldn’t fit the spark plug properly and then got another that provides no spark. Original one sparks, but again, bike won’t start with that one. That was why I asked about a specific place to get one, so I know it fits and will actually work.

I also tested cranking the engine with the plug in, then removed the plug and the plug does smell of gas after being cranked. It’s starting to feel more and more like it is the spark itself and the CDI. Multiple spark plugs give spark with this current CDI but no ignition. Would you the. Recommend trying to get a good replacement CDI that actually gives spark when I attach it?

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You have to take the nut off the crank, to see the key. If the engine turns when taking nut off get a piece of nylon rope, put in spark plug hole to stop it from turning........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
To take the nut off you will turn the engine over, to stop that you have to hold the crank from turning. So one way is to take the spark plug out and stick a rope down inside, and let it coil ( not all the way so you lose it ) When the piston come up it wont be able to turn all the way, and the rope will hold it, so you can get the nut off. Like the picture that Greg sent
1637611658094.png

Make sure it is at 1pm like in the picture, with the piston all the way up ( remove the rope to do, use a something round to do this, as screwdriver will scratch the piston ) and that the half moon key is in and all ok. ...........Curt

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
As for the cdi that didn't fit the sparkplug, with some you have to used the screw on adapter that comes with the ngk b6hs plug we recommend, you can use that plug with either type sparkplug boot. You can use a drinking straw to find tdc, remove the sparkplug and hold the straw in the cylinder while sitting the magnet, once you get to tdc note the location of the flat side of the magnet, it should be close to horizontal as in the picture I posted.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hopefully the new cdi will solve the problem. Do you still have the one that didn't fit the plug you were using? You can change the boot on any brand, I get ngk boots at the local motorcycle shop for about $3.

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
Ok. New magneto, CDI and spark plug came today. Installed and I have spark. Spark seems brighter also. Still won’t start, BUT, when I started this thread we talked about the fuel to oil ratio. I never changed it. Will that ratio prevent ignition? At this point fuel is all I have left as a possible issue, if I have now resolved other issues that were present. So that’s my question now. Will the fuel to oil ratio mentioned at the beginning of the thread prevent ignition?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Are you getting fuel to the plug? Try with the choke and without, pedal up to speed and keep pedaling till it pops. I know you're probably doing this but just in case. 32/1 or 4 oz. Per gallon works good.

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
Will the fuel to oil ratio mentioned at the beginning of the thread prevent ignition? Is there is too much oil will it actually prevent combustion?