Bike Has Spark, Won’t Start

GoldenMotor.com

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
Yes. We have three currently. All have spark. Not sure if this issue is somehow related to the spark or the CDI not giving a good enough spark. I have had the plug in my hand when testing for spark and got a pretty good shock.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
How are you trying to start it? With the choke closed completely? Some don’t need choke, some only need half way. Try several different settings and see if it ever fires.

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
So the carb we are using is a racing carb from Amazon. When I installed it I couldn’t get the spring loaded choke to engage again as it did when it came because that mechanism had to be removed and then re-inserted for the throttle. So basically the carb has no choke right now. It had run in the past in this same configuration, but now just won’t start.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If it’s the one with the colored filter I’ve heard some bad reports here on the forum. I’ve tried others but the stock nt is hard to beat.

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
Yeah it is the one with the colored air filter. Called a racing carb. I can always try to change the carb back to the original again and see if that makes any difference with the recent changes we’ve done. Would you recommend switching back to the original?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This will help with the stock carb.

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
Carburetor has now been changed, no luck. I’m totally puzzled, the bike doesn’t even try to start. Is this possibly something shot in the cylinder? It feels like we have good compression, the engine is turning, fuel in the carb and fuel bowl, spark is present, no attempt by the engine to fire at all.

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
So I went over the engine with a flashlight just now and found the head gasket is nicely sealed, no moisture or anything, but the gasket at the base of the cylinder is wet in the front. If it is wet, would this be enough if a leak to prevent it from starting?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
At this point I would pull the cylinder off, if the base gasket is bad you can make one, the template you can print from the instructions section of the forum. It’s easy to put the cylinder back on , the bottom of the cylinder is tapered to slide over the piston, make sure the ring ends are at the pin in the ring groove, then squeeze the top ring while sliding the cylinder down, repeat with the bottom ring.

MiffedFan

Nov 8, 2021
Would liquid gasket be fine are along as it didn’t interfere with the internals once it dried up?