Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Checking in Tom athough splitting wood and imbibing are not a part of my life, my shop time consists primarily of lookey loo or creative stares at best. Projects for others are completed faithfully but my own languish. Though I have posted a few photos this Fall and Winter most, if not all, were taken some time back. Doldrums, apathy etc? My health, circumstances and the weather have been excellent so I can't throw shade, just not very shop active.

Ups and downs of life: bad health a few years back prompted the sale of my machine shop business and I chose to make some really drastic changes in all areas of my life. Best decisions I ever made, though now healthy, I miss my big shop, yet don't regret selling as it freed me to concentrate on the basics of life.

Circumstances change and matter for certain yet most are beyond my physical control. Every day I get up, suit up and soldier on one task at a time, my simple way of life and that of many others.

I really enjoy your posts Tom keep them coming on this thread and all others, they are worthwhile.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
When Jen and I first moved to this rental apartment in Alnwick, I strove to stay on top of accumulated bike 'clutter' and was acutely aware I was living in someone else's property. Every day, I would tidy-up following the day's activity. That attitude lasted till midway through '21, when I became aware I was starting to amass quite a stash of bike parts/projects in the small area between the kitchen and lounge. It wasn't really something that bothered me, as the main goal - assembling my ACE from a bunch of parts into something that looked like a bike - was slowly being achieved. However, my mind was brought back into sharp focus last week when the letting agent e-mailed to make an appointment for the annual inspection visit, just to make certain the place is being looked after. The agent takes photos of every room and forwards these to my landlady who now resides in London as a carer for her Mum. I was given a gold star following the last two annual inspection visits - so I need to maintain the agent's and my landlady's goodwill. Which means this last weekend was spent ensuring the place looks spick and span instead of half house, half workshop. Place is back to looking spotless - albeit with a couple of motorcycles taking centre stage. Motivation had been lacking this last couple of months and the agent's call somewhat forced my hand, but I count that as a good thing and I'm looking at the place now with renewed enthusiasm. Might even join Tom in a brew. My ACE is at the point where, for the last week or two I've been fired-up enough to work on it for a couple of hours each day again.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Luckily I’m in a warmer climate than a lot of people, I’ve been working on CG engine projects a lot, Mapbike and I have been working and sharing info long distance, I balanced a 66cc 38mm stroke crankshaft. I had the crank out twice drilling to move the harmonic balance to a higher rpm. Both of us have a sort of hybrid, 38mm stroke but uses a high pin piston. I have mine back together and it’s a success, 33-35 mph and very little vibration. Next we’re working on 49mm big bore iron sleeve engines, I’ve got mine ported and decked fairly close to spec, a little more checking and I’ll put that one together.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
When Jen and I first moved to this rental apartment in Alnwick, I strove to stay on top of accumulated bike 'clutter' and was acutely aware I was living in someone else's property. Every day, I would tidy-up following the day's activity. That attitude lasted till midway through '21, when I became aware I was starting to amass quite a stash of bike parts/projects in the small area between the kitchen and lounge. It wasn't really something that bothered me, as the main goal - assembling my ACE from a bunch of parts into something that looked like a bike - was slowly being achieved. However, my mind was brought back into sharp focus last week when the letting agent e-mailed to make an appointment for the annual inspection visit, just to make certain the place is being looked after. The agent takes photos of every room and forwards these to my landlady who now resides in London as a carer for her Mum. I was given a gold star following the last two annual inspection visits - so I need to maintain the agent's and my landlady's goodwill. Which means this last weekend was spent ensuring the place looks spick and span instead of half house, half workshop. Place is back to looking spotless - albeit with a couple of motorcycles taking centre stage. Motivation had been lacking this last couple of months and the agent's call somewhat forced my hand, but I count that as a good thing and I'm looking at the place now with renewed enthusiasm. Might even join Tom in a brew. My ACE is at the point where, for the last week or two I've been fired-up enough to work on it for a couple of hours each day again.
In my mind you are resilient Pete. GOD BLESS!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Luckily I’m in a warmer climate than a lot of people, I’ve been working on CG engine projects a lot, Mapbike and I have been working and sharing info long distance, I balanced a 66cc 38mm stroke crankshaft. I had the crank out twice drilling to move the harmonic balance to a higher rpm. Both of us have a sort of hybrid, 38mm stroke but uses a high pin piston. I have mine back together and it’s a success, 33-35 mph and very little vibration. Next we’re working on 49mm big bore iron sleeve engines, I’ve got mine ported and decked fairly close to spec, a little more checking and I’ll put that one together.
Greg you pre date me on the forum and I'm glad you still work with the CG engines. I'm still a big fan of the kit motors and I still ride my 66cc Grubee hybrid weekly, though it's the oldest built it's still among my favorites to actually ride.

Balancing and improved cooling are major reasons that my CG has lasted so long and with no major problems during almost 7 years of hard riding. I've stated 15,000 miles as fact for more than two years so it's significantly more miles than this, but no way to estimate how much more. It's been a good one.

Iron sleeves is a great mod which I've not done. Some plating flaking on many bores seem to be a problem on more recent kit motors, but I've not experienced this on my older engines all of which are more than 4 years since purchase and all 66cc.

Without the CG kits this hobby would not have grown much over the years so a tip of my hat to those who know, the rest just forget all the above and continue building bikes you like while hating on others. Instead just enjoy your hobby. I like 4 strokes and electrics as well!

Rick C.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Hey guys, checking back in after awhile. I have also hit somewhat of a lull this winter but getting back to tinkering and learning some of my tools and machines. I'm still thinking about different directions with the Chinese built frame build as I work on different car projects. Here lately I started fitting up tube for a low budget build that will sport a 66 cc most likely. Two bikes, 26 inch road bike in the front and 24 inch mountain bike rear triangle. Both wheels 24 inch. Handle bars will either be modified or built eventually.
IMG_20220215_213634598.jpg

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Ed, who plows my driveway. Looks a bit like Hagrid of Harry Potter Dropped a Royce Union MTB in my driveway last Fall. Mona as there when he dropped it off telling her it needs fixing and he won't spend over $200 USD.
I just parked in the big shed over Winter and just last week rolled it sorta into my machine shop.
This bike has a independent hinge point rear suspension and something ain't right half of the two piece hinge pin has unfastened and is Lord knows where. Two piece hinge pin? Repair will be one piece solid prehard 4140 turned on my Logan Lathe.
The remaining half of the hinge pin in behind the chain rings WELDED to the left pedal crank of a three-piece crank set. Jacked off the pedal cranks and made a mistake. I tried to turn the spindle. Not good.
Disassembled the spindle assy., not much grease and a whole lot of sand. Left ball bearing cage worn so that the balls all fell out of the bearing cage. $hit!
That was 3/2 and several adult beverages later the LED came on. There are fingers of a ball bearing cage the retain and separate the bearing balls. Starting with two bearing balls, I began pinching in the cage fingers with needle nose plyers and the bearing balls stayed in place. Repeat seven more times. Bearing and spindle run free again.
Strangely the bearing races did not look bad at all. Go figure.
Photos when the hinge is fixed.

Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Love it when folks drop off bikes, 99 percent never return to pick them up and don't even tell me who they are or leave a phone number, they just prop them up on the driveway and disappear without telling me anything about the bikes

I part them out or fix and give away after a few months.

I've a very expensive "Cannondale" MB that looks brand new that I still have and no one has claimed it 4 years later.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin