Anybody else burnt out on motorbikes?

GoldenMotor.com

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
It's been nearly two months since i've motorbiked. I don't really miss it.... Yet hardly a day goes by I don't think about it. Is it something like the terribly abused wife who pines over the beating-husband who smacked her around for years before he finally died?

My motor bike died, full ignition discharge in the terminal sense. Pulled the entire works off and gave it a wake... But I think it's spirit may be haunting me, because, even though I have no desire whatsoever to embark on another MB project, I can't stop thinking of the few blissful moments that abusive motor gave me.

Like, after getting smacked around and falling all over myself to make the pissed-off MB happy again, even though it was cheating on me with the Makita (suspected, but not proven) there was so much joy in zooming past the spandex clad roadie taking up the entire winding-mountain-lane-going-12mph, and seeing him snuff the 30mph 2-stroke fumes in my rear-view....but I only remember that, and not the lost motor mount and 3 of 4 studs broken on that ride, requiring a weeks worth of work to ride again.

Oh Oh Oh!!! Remember that time we sailed past countless cars stuck in traffic? All of them headed to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk? Then we zoomed the paved paths to the opposite end of town in mere minutes to picnic at the tide pools of Natural Bridges, then back to see the same stupid-lifted-quad-cab-diesel-pickup hardly get a couple blocks ahead, but still not get a parking spot?? .........Ouch, that cost me. Many many multiple flat tires and dead engine strandings miles from home..... but they mean nothing compared to that picnic at the tide pools!!

Is there something wrong with me? (don't answer that)
I'm trying to move on with my life after that abuser died and left me with nothing. After the enormous time and energy given to it, it just simply left without regard for me.... and yet, I want it back. I find myself desiring no-starts miles from anything. Craving the excitement of blasting past a bus full of almost-high-schoolers, then head-hangingly boarding it a ways down the road with the MB on it's front bikerack. And man, do I long for the entire weekend's worth of work to still not pan out for a Monday ride to work.... There's nothing better than being out in the garage with a 12-pack for hours on end.....ssiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhh...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I don't ride my bikes as much as I used to, but I still go look at them nearly everyday. I still love to work on my project bike. And I'm at the point with this project that I'm not in a hurry to get it done. I want it to be just exactly like I want it. Not just finished so I can ride. I'm normally a very finish oriented guy. I want to get the task at hand finished and get on the next project. But with the decrease in ride enthusiasm, I can just relax and really enjoy this build. No deadline, no got to get it done for this or that reason. Just enjoy the build and have a really eye catching bike when I finally get it finished.............................:bike2:

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
And the moral of that story...

Go buy a kit with a commercial engine on it... no more busted studs and chain induced broken spokes in the middle of a rain storm... lol

Jemma xx

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Build a weed eater so you can really get abused....

I'm tired of the china bike ... Too easy...

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've had my share of ups and downs on bikes, and I've been forced to drive my car for the last 2 weeks. I might have cursed at a 2-stroke or two, but in the end, I think it's all worth it. Fresh air, exercise, less traffic, better mileage for my money. And I get to tinker! I love to tinker. Not a day goes by that I go out to my porch and gaze sadly at my out-of-comission 2-wheeler. *sighs

Parts will be here soon hopefully :D

handy_Biker

Jul 23, 2008
I'll bet, standing in a corner of the garage, a lil nervous and twiitchin about being dismantled, is a weed whacker !

srdavo

Jan 18, 2008
Pittsburg, Kansas
No...I am not "burnt" out.

I've had my share of ups and downs on bikes, and I've been forced to drive my car for the last 2 weeks. I might have cursed at a 2-stroke or two, but in the end, I think it's all worth it. Fresh air, exercise, less traffic, better mileage for my money. And I get to tinker! I love to tinker. Not a day goes by that I go out to my porch and gaze sadly at my out-of-comission 2-wheeler. *sighs

Parts will be here soon hopefully :D
I have 7 motorbikes.....not bragging.
on any given day....2 of them will be running. rotfl
did somebody say tinker?

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
While i truly do love to "tinker", with my definition being continually upgrading and improving, I can't stand repairing (especially after being stranded far away). I've repaired cars all day long for the last 13 years, and don't want to work at home too. At one point I had 7 cars, and rotated constantly! One would act up and I'd give it away for free and get another for one for free. Now down to 2 plus the wife's.

Anyway, my weed whacker gets used often enough to not become a donor. I had a bunch of money I've been saving, and weighed between a high-end rear mount engine setup, but scoffed at the price...for over a grand I could also buy a brand new scooter off the showroom floor with a warranty! I went with the 30 ton 9hp log-splitter instead. Last two evenings after work, a combined 3 hours maybe, and already split the first cord! Would've taken forever by hand since I get gnarled forked pieces that're impossible to do by hand.

Sooooo, i've been working on a 1979 Motobecane 50cc moped for free, similar frustrations as the MB. But got a new coil cheap, did a bunch of work on it, now runs. Won't idle...feels like the MB-syndrome kicking in.... Lacking desire to work on it, maybe will try to sell it with such high demand now.....but, I can sure see myself atop that 2-stroker-smoker crusing to work and back. MAybe even make some new memories with the wife on the back(can't do that with the MB!) hitting the jam-packed outdoor mal in Santa Cruz, relaxing at the bookstore, then a "real" coffee shop, then whiz past the Beach Boardwalk-ers stuck in traffic.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There is a low maintenance hobby- it's called "anvil polishing".
No moving parts, very reliable, polish as little or as much as you want. Won't fall over when working on it.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ahhh the good life. Painting the house, changing the bottom water hose on the car, repairing the garden the old lady across the street has because the dog re aranged it while chasing a cat. Then in the garage, freedom, just waiting there! The wind in my face, passing the people walking down the sidewalk to get the morning paper. Passing the just leaving city limits sign on the way to freedom. The bike's running strong, pavment passing under me. Over head a bird circles looking for it's breakfast. All the worrys seem to melt away. Just me and the bike. Going to be a good day:ride2:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i'm hoping that my Italian engine (if it ever comes) will be more reliable than the chinee ones. tales like your have kinda scared me off the Happy Times approach. tinkering with the bicycle end of motored bike seems more doable for me than endless bothering a fickle potmetal little engine.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I got up at sunrise and went for a three hour ride and to my GF house where she made me breakfest :) I love going for rides early Sunday morning...very little traffic.

And if the Pocono race is a rain out.....I'm going to go for another :D

()

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
It's been nearly two months since i've motorbiked. I don't really miss it.... Yet hardly a day goes by I don't think about it. Is it something like the terribly abused wife who pines over the beating-husband who smacked her around for years before he finally died?

My motor bike died, full ignition discharge in the terminal sense. Pulled the entire works off and gave it a wake... But I think it's spirit may be haunting me, because, even though I have no desire whatsoever to embark on another MB project, I can't stop thinking of the few blissful moments that abusive motor gave me.

Like, after getting smacked around and falling all over myself to make the pissed-off MB happy again, even though it was cheating on me with the Makita (suspected, but not proven) there was so much joy in zooming past the spandex clad roadie taking up the entire winding-mountain-lane-going-12mph, and seeing him snuff the 30mph 2-stroke fumes in my rear-view....but I only remember that, and not the lost motor mount and 3 of 4 studs broken on that ride, requiring a weeks worth of work to ride again.

Oh Oh Oh!!! Remember that time we sailed past countless cars stuck in traffic? All of them headed to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk? Then we zoomed the paved paths to the opposite end of town in mere minutes to picnic at the tide pools of Natural Bridges, then back to see the same stupid-lifted-quad-cab-diesel-pickup hardly get a couple blocks ahead, but still not get a parking spot?? .........Ouch, that cost me. Many many multiple flat tires and dead engine strandings miles from home..... but they mean nothing compared to that picnic at the tide pools!!

Is there something wrong with me? (don't answer that)
I'm trying to move on with my life after that abuser died and left me with nothing. After the enormous time and energy given to it, it just simply left without regard for me.... and yet, I want it back. I find myself desiring no-starts miles from anything. Craving the excitement of blasting past a bus full of almost-high-schoolers, then head-hangingly boarding it a ways down the road with the MB on it's front bikerack. And man, do I long for the entire weekend's worth of work to still not pan out for a Monday ride to work.... There's nothing better than being out in the garage with a 12-pack for hours on end.....ssiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhh...
No, don't listen to them. Order another China engine, make it work and last... Get a 30 pack to get you started.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I ride my bikes EVERY DAY!!! I love them! I don't know why everybody says they have sooo many problems with them???
If you build it SOLID & keep it SIMPLE, (the way the factory designed it)... they are very reliable!
I ride "The Bomber" bike everyday to work; I beat the snot out of it, & it always starts & runs good.
If you keep it simple & build it right the first time, you won't have to keep fixing it...
This is my "rant" of the day.. :)

Fix your bike & get back on it!! (you'll be glad you did!) :ride2:

Last edited by a moderator:

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
I ride mine to and from work daily. Approx 2.5 miles each way. I even come home for lunch. Although it has been only two months of riding, I still enjoy it. And the only service issues have been the chain tensioner with random re-ajustments. I must have a quality 49cc kit!

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
If a day goes by that I don't ride my bike even around the block just to get my fix I relapse.
What I like is that after a while riding about 30 minutes straight my behind hurts so I just stand and cruise. It's exhilarating.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have had no issues with my china bike since I fixed the chain tensioner problem. Everything else I caused myself. That tensioner issue is common and the simplest fix was to shorten the chain and adjust the wheel to the motor chain then put the tensioner on the bike chain side. I have not had any issue sense, except the clogged fuel screen. That I had twice.

Now if you want to tinker without screwing up your main bike, build a weed eater bike. My son in law and I rode the china bike and the weed eater yesterday. I had constant clutch problems with it(gravity type clutch) the whole ride. When I got home I found that I had lost bolts in several key spots, Now that is a real problem. However, I wouldn't stop working on the bike because it is a lot of trouble.

I figure it is like the chain tensioner once I figure it out, all this issues will be gone. It's like the man said, if you want basic transportation from the bike, build it simple and just go ride it. Get yourself a maintenance schedule and stay with it. tighten things regularly and it should serve you well.

When you get your china bike right, if you want to tinker buy yourself a weed eater and tinker as much or as little as you want.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Last night, I rode for well over 35 miles and it was the perfect end to a perfect day.

No problems with a bike set up right.