Any gardners?

GoldenMotor.com

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Miricle grow and water.Be shure to water leaves and fruit.Use directions on package.Now if your raising quarters,you have a cash crop.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dave

The Special Potting Soil From "miracle Grow" Holds The Moisture "gooder". Cost Is Much Higher, But Supposed To Be Worth The Extra Money. Half Of My Planting Was In Hanging Pots. I Did Not Use The Better Stuff.

I Spent About $300. Last Yr On My Garden. Harvested 2 Tomato And 1 Little Red Pepper. May Try Next Yr Again. Read Up On Straw Gardens, Less Drying Problems. No Soil Needed?? Ron

Sidecar

May 28, 2010
Tn.
I usually do a garden but not this year. Medical issues and the wife wanted me to take this year off. I guess I will be buying at the farmers market this year. I use cardboard around the plants and between the rows covered with compost. It helps hold moisture in and prevents weeds from growing. Everything breaks down and helps improve the soil.

Sidecar

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I don't think I prepared the soil enough, the dirt in my yard is just fill dirt and is not good for growing. I have it so it gets shade at least half the day. The AZ sun is a killer, still I have to water it twice a day. My watermelon and pumpkins don't look all that great as well.

I will admit I dont spend the time or energy really taking care of it. Thanks for the tips I am not going to give up.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
That is called the Quarter Squash variety and only grows a forth the size and a forth as fast as a conventional squash . They were originally grown in Spain to supplement the diet of their Quarter horses . They were brought to the U.S. in the 1800's and used in the French quarter of New Orleans as sectret ingredient for the early version of a hamburger called , you guessed it , The Quarter Pounder . Later , due to a shortage of mining equiptment , the actual quarter section of the squash plant was used as currancy in the U.S. . Amazingly all quarter squash have a likeness of George Washington growing on the quarter section that saved the government thousands of dollars in stamping costs . We are now trying to grow a genetically altered tree using the DNA of the Quarter Squash . Hopefully to produce a Washington , paper dollar in place of leaves .

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
lefty

ARE YOU ALL THERE, OR JUST A COUPLE QUARTER`S OR SO?? I WAS BELIEVING YOU THE FIRST 2 QUARTER`S OF THE READ. THAT WENT WELL WITH MY COFFEE!! YOUR A HOOT! THANKS. FAIR, THERE IS A LOT OF FERTILIZER IN LEFTY`S POST. HA HA NOW MONEY GROWS ON TREE`S? HUMM RON

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
lol lefty

I don't know what got in to me , my wife made the coffee this morning and it was a little strong .
I was intrigued and captivated by your observation of the vegetation known as squash lefty. As far as my knowledge of the garden , the squash is in the family of vines , such as potatoes ,water melons , and some types of beans . In my rock garden , or as some refer to as an raised garden . My beans , potatoes , sweet potatoes have done well , but squash did nothing at all , Let Me close by saying I am maybe not the greatest in the area of botany but will say that , Plants are living organisms. They are not human beings and belong to the group known as Plantain. They include life forms such as trees, herbs, bushes, grass, ferns ,mosses, green algae , and my favorite , vines ! They have there own minds I guess . I hope my input has helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Did any of you guys know that you can actually turn a pumpkin into a vegetable? You simply take a nice ripe pumpkin and toss it into the air. When it hits the ground, squash........:D