Another Harbor Freight Attempt

GoldenMotor.com
Hi MaxPower,

Sorry but some of the Q-Matic options for EZM were purchased as special runs from MaxTorque, and aren't available without large setup up cost and large quanity orders.

I would gladly supply the special parts for you, but the parts we use wouldn't help you with a crankshaft mounted clutch.

When you purchase a clutch, be sure it is an authentic MaxTorque version.

Also consider when using a large rear sprocket that the chain path will hit 90% of all bicycle frames, and require some serious modifications to make it clear. Installing a large chain sprocket on the rear wheel will also require special adapters to do so [Jim at Creative can be a great aid in the process].

You are welcome to contact me via phone if you want detailed information on connecting the HF motor to a bike. 252-475-0406 cell

Have fun,

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I got the motor today :). I bought it for $71 dollars, kick A**. It's kind of funny, first thing I do to this new engine is start taking it apart. lol
$71!? awesome!

Know what you mean, Taking that cool lil gas tank off makes a sucking sound. Not litterally, is just a cool tank and petcock. Is so really well made. But the Gov parts and spring make a great spring return for the throttle. (Play with it, I took the small "L" bracket and put it on the vertical bolt and used the longer spring. worked out great but am sure there are many ways to go)

I think the muffler is not great and restrictive. So had no problem ripping that off.

LOL, and the packaging, makes a great cooler.

Gonna send HF a TY note for the cooler. .flg.

Last edited:

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
here's a shoot of the engine in the frame. Fits nicely. It's pretty wide. Looks like I'm going to need wide cranks. I've got a few ideas for a mount that I'm going over in my head. I'm going to figure it out before I buy anything else. simple and strong is the motto.

what is the rubber tube coming out of the calendar head? I circled it in the picture.

Attachments

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I spoke with tyslider from firebelly cycles yesterday about buying one of his mounts Firebelly Cycles. It’s really not a bad deal for $75. I think It’s interesting that the HF engine I have cost $71. Sort of like how Sick Bike Parts shift kit cost more than the 2 stroke engine it’s design for LOL. He’s going to give me a good deal on a clutch that he is not using too :). He said that he’d call max-torque to see if they have any springs with the proper engagement RPM. That’s service for you. I’ve attached a picture of my original Idea for a mount. It looks simple but with very limited tools, I couldn’t do it. With out a bench vice, and a drill press, I couldn’t make the bends or drill the holes precisely enough :(. I also think that It might have been too flimsy. I’ve also attached a picture of my frame dimensions. I my measurements show that the mount can’t go any higher than the support tube in the middle of the seat tube. I looks like the mount needs to be 10.5.” look out death race, here I come.

Attachments

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Just paypaled Evan for the mount and clutch. $75 for the mount, $25 for the clutch and $10 for shipping. I'm stoked :). Evan said he'd hook me up with place to buy engagement springs. does anyone else have a a source?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Max torque is the source I was going to give ($6 I think). They'll make sure you get the right ones for that clutch and for the right speed 1450-1550 rpm.

MaxTorque

Hey thanks again and good luck! Dan and I are watching this build.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Just got Evans mount in the mail. the aluminum is really heavy duty and light. I think the U-bolts could have been thicker but only time will tell if its adequate. the u bolts connect to the aluminum base via 90 degree L brackets. Not sure if I should bend these to match the angles of the bike frame or leave at 90 degrees. It only has 4 points of contact with the frame tubes, the two u bolts, the front part of the aluminum base and the tip of the 90 L bracket. I also think think it might be necessary to file the mount base to the angle of the down tube too.

Attachments

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Personally I don't think bending the L-bracket would hurt it. If you can just move it back a bit and then get longer U-bolts then that would be even better.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
You can bend any of the steel to more customize the fit The front Ubolts should be bent down to match the frame angle. I also recommend grinding the the rounds (of the aluminum on the bottom side where it rests on the frame) w/ a die grinder or file a little to give a larger contact patch. I, however, do not do any of that except to bend if necessary the u bolts. It will bolt up and clamp down titghly. You have almost 2000lbs of clamping force w/ those ubolts. As long as you don't bend steel back and forth you can bend it to fit.

If you need longer ubolts, I will gladly send them to you. Also, if so equipped feel free to drill two more holes just behind the others to move the angle iron closer.

It is somewhat difficult to match these perfectly every time, they usually fit great but occasionally things don't quite match up. It is easilly fixed, though, and I'm glad to help. Thanks, Evan

Last edited:

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
thanks a lot evan. I'm going to go to ace hardware and see what they have. If they don't have anything I'll try to drill some new holes and tap them. I've never tried to do it so It'll be a learning experience. maybe you could drill some adjustment holes on the base on future sales. just a suggestion. should the L bracket actually touch the bike frame?

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I'm looking for some 1400 RPM clutch springs. Called max-torque and they said they had a $50 min order. they refered me to this site http://www.apskarting.com/ but they are are out of EXTRA LIGHT SPRING FOR "SS" CLUTCH. Does anyone have a lead on some srpings?

Last edited: