Another Harbor Freight Attempt

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Felton,

The shaft extension came with the Max Torque HTD clutch when I purchased it. Jim at max Torque might still have them but I'm not sure? Back when I bought my clutch, Max Torque had just recently made a batch of clutches for a client who was making some type of Robot that was powered by a GXH50 motor. When I contacted Jim about a clutch for my bike project he sold me one of the special clutches he had left over from the robot project.

ocscully
Jim and Max Torque are great folks. Sr. and Son really go way above and beyond for us in the MBs.

.flg.

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Ok I found the product I have been looking for and you may be able to use it to help with your reduction. One way sprocket clutch

With the 15t one way sprocket and the 176t timing belt pulley your top speed would be 48mph.

Last edited:

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Ok I found the product I have been looking for and you may be able to use it to help with your reduction. One way sprocket clutch

With the 15t one way sprocket and the 176t timing belt pulley your top speed would be 48mph.
that is a really cool find. Do you mean to mount the 15t sprocket on the engine shaft? Is it a clutch that will engage at a certain RPM? It would be awsome if they could make a custom one way 176t pulley. that way when i pedal it wouldn't turn the clutch bell.

This is what I'm using on the pedal side of my bike. Motorized Bicycles Detail Page first you put on a 3 prong sprocket then screw on a freewheel. It's slick.

If anyone has a lead on large timing belts let me know. I've emailed pfeifer industries for a price but haven't received a reply. I might just give them a call. Custom=$$$

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
No it is a directional bearing just like you have on your pedal side only it is 15t not 18t. That way you can use the 176t pulley.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
No it is a directional bearing just like you have on your pedal side only it is 15t not 18t. That way you can use the 176t pulley.
the smallest I can go is 18t due to the chain stay interference. even that's cutting it close. I'm also having second thoughts about the strength of the chain with the torque of the greyhound. It does fine with the 2 stroke.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I just got off the phone with Jim Donovan Jr of Pfeifer Industries and he suggested that a belt would not work well for this project. He said that the distance would be too great and a tensioner would not be effective. In addition, he quoted me $85 for a 176t timing belt pulley. Thats out of my budget. He suggested using a chain and I agreed. I can cut a chain to any length and it seems like a simpler task.

I want to use a standard bicycle chain from the clutch to the jackshaft input. I think a 415 chain is just too heavy duty. the weakest link is the 7-speed chain driving the wheel so if the drive system breaks then it will be there. a 415 chain is overkill.

I now have to find a clutch that has a 1 /2” pitch and is 1/8” wide. I know Max-torque makes one for a #40 chain but it’s too wide for a standard bike chain. I may have to get a machinist to mill it down. I think I’ll have to do the same for the large sprocket. Tips accepted.

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Are you talkin to me or him? If you are talking to me I think I need the idiots guide to chains because thats a little over my head. :confused: Then again it could be because its past my bed time. I will try and read it tomorrow. If I don't get anything out of it then maybe you can tell me what I am missing. lol

Ok so for some reason when I was reading earlier I got down around chapter 4 and couldn't get out. This is some great reading thanks.

Last edited:

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I just got a rain check for a greyhound. :) on sale for 89.99 plus a 20% coupon brings a grand total of 62 dollars. I think the engine will be the cheapest part of this project. lol. I expected to pay the retail of 109.99 but I guess I lucked out. The manager said that they would get them in next week. The only thing is that I have to drive an hour and half to pick it up in Tucson. I'll make a day of it. Maybe do some motoring on my POS mountain bike. anyone want to meet at harbor freight for a ride?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I just got a rain check for a greyhound. :) on sale for 89.99 plus a 20% coupon brings a grand total of 62 dollars. I think the engine will be the cheapest part of this project. lol. I expected to pay the retail of 109.99 but I guess I lucked out. The manager said that they would get them in next week. The only thing is that I have to drive an hour and half to pick it up in Tucson. I'll make a day of it. Maybe do some motoring on my POS mountain bike. anyone want to meet at harbor freight for a ride?
Which HF are you going to be at Max? And around what time?

Hi Maxpower,

Please consider the following.........
The HF motor normally idles around 900 RPMs [800 to 1000], the clutch you are considering engages at approx 2000 RPMs. The motor normally operates between 800 and 3600 RPMs, meaning you will need to rev from 900 [approx] to 2000 RPMs before the clutch engages. The span from idle to engagement is over 1000 RPMs [a lot!], and is almost 1/3rd of the entire range. The clutch you referenced is also chain drive [#35] output.

We had MaxTorque design a special clutch for us to engage within a few hundred RPMs off idle after we divided the motor output to our clutch, therefore a stock "over the counter" unit just won't work correctly.

If you use the clutch referenced and use the chain drive from the motor to the wheel without a drive system in the center the needed rear sprocket would have to have at least 66 teeth to end up with an 6 X 1 ratio [I doubt you will climb many, if any hills, or pull a heavy rider at that ratio].

Keep us posted on your progress.

Have fun,

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
We had MaxTorque design a special clutch for us to engage within a few hundred RPMs off idle after we divided the motor output to our clutch, therefore a stock "over the counter" unit just won't work correctly.

Have fun,

Do you sell the special clutch? If I ask max-torque for one will they know what I'm talking about?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Max, awesome link TY. Wait until you see the GH engine, really cool.

Looking forward to seeing her done!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Max I have a couple brand new max torque #35 11t clutches I'd be happy to sell cheap. They sell a 1450 rpm engagement spring for I think $6. It works perfectly as both my greyhounds idle at around 1200 rpms. Also Hilliard sells clutchtes that'll work and they have 1000 rpm springs. Evan FBC.

Don't Believe Everything You Think!