Another Harbor Freight Attempt

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Just paypaled Evan for the mount and clutch. $75 for the mount, $25 for the clutch and $10 for shipping. I'm stoked :). Evan said he'd hook me up with place to buy engagement springs. does anyone else have a a source?
I have a maxtorque clutch and I called the guy at Maxtorque and he sent me a light spring that is just right for the HF engine. Quick service and a great guy overall. He even gave me a lesson in exactly install the spring. It engages just off idle and I am really pleased with it.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I have a maxtorque clutch and I called the guy at Maxtorque and he sent me a light spring that is just right for the HF engine. Quick service and a great guy overall. He even gave me a lesson in exactly install the spring. It engages just off idle and I am really pleased with it.
I haven't done any research into taking my clutch apart. Its probably really easy. maybe somone can give some instructions.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Won't APSKarting have them w/ in a couple days? Are they Back ordered? I'll see if I can have them drop shipped, if you like, when I order clutches. I can't believe that when I talked to Jim Donovan (the owner of Max Torque), about those springs personally, that he didn't mention the $50 min order!

Hi MaxPower,

The MaxTorque clutch is very easy to service, and we stock all the parts for the SS version including the special ultra light spring [no longer a production item].

You only need to remove a couple of "C" clips to completely dis-assemble the entire clutch.

Do you know if your clutch has the heavy weights?

Have fun,

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Won't APSKarting have them w/ in a couple days? Are they Back ordered? I'll see if I can have them drop shipped, if you like, when I order clutches. I can't believe that when I talked to Jim Donovan (the owner of Max Torque), about those springs personally, that he didn't mention the $50 min order!
It's true. think I should try again? Quenton Guenther said he would sell me one and he says that they are rare. He said that he bought the last lot of them from max-torque. I only need one spring right? APSKarting said that they would get some more in but I don't know when. I'm not sure if i'll be able to finish the bike in time for the death race :(. I've still got to order some more parts and put everything together. I've also need to figure out how I'm going to get the bike to Tucson. I only have a small compact car. I think It would be fun to make the 70mi trip up there on my bike :)

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Hi MaxPower,

The MaxTorque clutch is very easy to service, and we stock all the parts for the SS version including the special ultra light spring [no longer a production item].

You only need to remove a couple of "C" clips to completely dis-assemble the entire clutch.

Do you know if your clutch has the heavy weights?

Have fun,
tyrslider sold me the the clutch. tyrslider does it have the heavy weights?

Hi MaxPower,

It is easy to tell if you have the heavy weights. I will attach a few pictures to show the difference. One of the photos details the 3 different spring sizes, .045", .049", and .056". One of the photos will show the different weight sizes, as I have placed the smaller stock weight on top of the clutch to note it is much shorter. If the weights cover the entire opening it is the heavy weights.

Hope this makes things easier for you.

Have fun,

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Jim told me a week ago that they have both versions of the lw spring in stock and that he would help you determine which you need. Just neglected to tell me about the min. purchase. If Quenton has the right ones get them. My experience w/ APS is that they'll have them shortly.

Get your other stuff and keep buildin' and the springs'll come through. Don't get hung up on an item. if nuthin else I'll get you some before then.

Last edited:
Hi MaxPower,

Spring is on the way! I will also include pictures to show the difference between the weights. They both look the same from one side, however the heavier units are tapered and are wider on one side. The heavy weight is 7/16" wide, whereas the stock weight is only 5/16" wide, please see photos.

Have fun,

Attachments

Hi MaxPower,

The spring I sent is the lightest version [.045" O.D.], and it will allow the weights to enguage much quicker. If you need the stall speed lowered even more the weights can make it happen.

Because we use the MaxTorque clutch in our Q-Matic drive we stock ALL the upgrade/maintence/repair parts for the clutch.

Have fun,

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Hi MaxPower,

The spring I sent is the lightest version [.045" O.D.], and it will allow the weights to enguage much quicker. If you need the stall speed lowered even more the weights can make it happen.

Because we use the MaxTorque clutch in our Q-Matic drive we stock ALL the upgrade/maintence/repair parts for the clutch.

Have fun,
whats your experience with the HF engine? should I need the heavy weights?

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I finally got my S... together and brought the bike to the death race today. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I pleased with everything but how the engine idles i.e. it won't. I've tried everything. I've adjusted every valve, jet, float, ect... It'll idle with the choke engaged and only at a high idle on the run position. the only thing I think it could be is my custom exhaust. its a short straight pipe. does this engine require some back pressure or something. maybe it'll idle once the engine is broken in.

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Looks Great!

I run my pipes a little longer but I think you have an air in < air out issue. Your exhaust breathes but your intake, not so much! I make a simple aluminum one w oiled impreg filiment, but in a pinch you can make one out of an old K&N or similar. Get it breathin' good on both sides! Might not be your problem but it's definately best practice.

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
My pipe is about twice as long as yours, 23", and my air filter is stock. It idled slower with the stock muffler so you may be on the right track. I would follow Tyrslider's advice and try a free flow air filter.
Really neat looking bike, what kind of speed are you getting?

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Thats cool. It looks like you should have one of those paddle wheels that the dirt bike guys use on hill climbs. lol

Last edited: