American lightweight Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have a Harley Sprint or should I say the remnants of one, also a couple of 125 CC Harley/Aermachi light motorcycles as donors. From what I read Harley Davidson was unprepared in the 1960's for the impact of Honda motorcycles which were quickly gaining too much market share in their view. They looked around and bought into the Italian company as a quick solution to the problem. From what I've read the Sprint was a nice, fast bike. The first ones had a 250cc four stroke and that got goosed to a 350cc. They seem to be well thought of and and worth quite a bit. Not so much the 125cc bikes, although looking at the engines on the ones I have, they sure have a big head on them and appear to be well made.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Aermacchi 2 strokes won road racing world championships, the 250/350 4 strokes were a staple of the dirt ovals for many years. There were different variants, some are nice road bikes without the fancy bits, some were absolute missiles. If you buy one, find somebody who knows what they're looking at.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There you go, somebody with experience of them. Swing arm frame, or the last of the rigids?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This summer a friend of mine gave me these old Italian made Harleys, thinking I might be able to do something with them.

Second and third photos are of the Sprint which according to the serial numbers had the 350cc engine. I'm thinking about going through all of the hoops involved in rebuilding it and getting it titled and licensed. That involves producing receipts, inspections, etc. If I do the engine will be replaced by either a 212 Preddy with CVT transmission & whatever will fit for the fork and wheels. Eventually it would become a cyclecar using part of a Grumman canoe for the body. We'll see as this project is a good ways off.

Also in the pile are these two 125's. The last photo the bike has no serial number, but the picture before it shows one that does. It has a peanut tank, Schwinn seat and harbor freight headlight sitting on it just for the picture. My son and I are thinking about using the best parts from those two to make a bike for him which can be licensed. That would give extra parts. Don't know yet.
SB

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's a flat single 250 from somewhere in China, made by Lifan or Zongshen, I think. That would be a nice trick to play on Classic collectors.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
R/h side Dynacycle

Picture/page expired.

1902 Sylvester & Johnson

Whozawat's Maytag Flyer

Last edited:
Reactions: AdvenJack

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Russel's Marathon is a classic all on it's own.

The 1937 Schwinn with the Sachs engine is a beauty. I have that same engine on my Indian Hiawatha tri-car build. 98cc 2 stroke, model 1932 (mine was made in 1934) with a built in 2 speed transmission. Shift lever is mounted on the side of the gas tank. It is a wonderful engine made for light motorcycles clear into the 1950's.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm erroneous! Here's the correction.

Member Blakenstein's Bridgestone bike, I "stated that it is a friction drive, but it is not friction drive, it is a chain drive. It comes from American Chain Drive Island Hopper . They do sell friction drive also, however, the Bridgestone Titan is a chain drive."

1917 Smith Motor Wheel in a Dayton cycle

Merkel Motor Wheel 1917

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
From the Zuma forum

And from Boogerball7 on Ratrodbikes

Picture/page expired.

A Powerbike

Last edited: