2 cylinder black & blue lightweight

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Not quite sure what catagory to post this under.

I Got tired of walking by this engine in my workshop and decided it deserved better than collecting dust. Also had an old Huffy(American made) so I thought I’d combine them. finally have done enough to take a few progress pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
It is a Power Products engine, about 1955(year is just a guess). This is quite similar to the engine used on the Monark twin. The monark used an updated ignition that had a manual timming advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Very, VERY cool. I love the way the engine looks like it belongs there. The tank and extra bar make it spot on vintage looking.
Additional kudos for using such a mechanically beautiful engine! Getting a Huffy pimped out like that should be a gold medal accomplishment!
It just flat looks factory made. (If the factories had any sense that is)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Yes if the factories sold bikes that look like that I might actually be motivated to move out of the retro-zone and buy something made in the 21st Century. As a bike it looks lovely, it looks like it's meant to be that way and it's in every way perfect.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Beautiful job! I see quite a bit of work in it. Do you know the engines original intent. If I remember correctly the Monark and Jack and Heintz engines were of aircraft drone background. Have seen plenty of P Products before but never a twin. Congrats on a very unusual build! An inspiration to get back on my Maytag.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Beautiful job! I see quite a bit of work in it. Do you know the engines original intent. If I remember correctly the Monark and Jack and Heintz engines were of aircraft drone background. Have seen plenty of P Products before but never a twin. Congrats on a very unusual build! An inspiration to get back on my Maytag.
More than likley this also was an old drone engine. When I was a kid; I found one of the target drones that was downed in the woods. Of course being a young kid(1957), I buried it with branches and leaves so that the troops from Camp Drum NY would not find it. Of course they found it, Bummer.

However Power products also sold this engine on mowers for a short period. i picked it up for short money; but the driveshaft had been cut off at each end.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow! every kids dream, a downed drone!! I would have been happy finding a model airplane. A guy down the street from me had one hanging from a tree in his yard back in the 70s. Think it was a Radioplane but not sure. That thing is gonna rock and roll with that engine!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Wow excellent execution of build Russell! I really like how everything looks meant to be like factory. I've been eyeing the RC twins but they're puny compared to the old-skool twins that used to be available back in the day, and they have cases and cranks that are set up for dedicated RC plane use rather than fitting a minibike clutch. I bet that will be a vary smooth and balanced engine for comfortable riding at all speeds.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Russell,
There's a lot to like in your build, pleasing to the eye and promises to be a great ride. What kind of hsp or cc's is the engine? You made the tank from what? Belt drive should make it a smoothie. Keep those pictures coming!
SB

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
SB,
The engine is 83cc. The tank is made from 3-1/2 EMT. I had the EMT left over from my last build. No idea of the Hp, I would guess 4Hp +/-
But with lightweight tires; I doubt the bike could handle much more.

Attachments

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Wow! every kids dream, a downed drone!! I would have been happy finding a model airplane. A guy down the street from me had one hanging from a tree in his yard back in the 70s. Think it was a Radioplane but not sure. That thing is gonna rock and roll with that engine!
That brings back another memory. I used fly simple 1 & 2 channel radio control airplanes. There was a field outside town where we would fly them. Well one got out of range and it just kept going! About a week later a farmer called and said he found it in his field(I had a buissness card in it).

Few months later I lost it again, same farmer called me and said "I found it again but I'm going to have to start charging you" LOL

Last edited: