99cc rack mount 3 speed spoke drive MTB

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice, so you've been able to get a breeding pair. Put them in a nice warm shed out of the weather and you'll never lack for bicycles ever again. ;)
That's funny... and yet is something I have suspected about other of my treasures which do seem to breed in the night. Perhaps a better pairing could happen with selective genetics. If the new to me British bike is a Lady Marian then spending some time with my old Robin Hood bike might bring interesting results!

On the other hand if I remember right my Robin Hood is a step through. Hmmm... there's always something to complicate things. Maybe the British bike is a Raleigh and something of epic proportion could result.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The Finnish connection did not pan out as both bikes had Shimano 3 speed hubs. The "British" bike turned out to be made in New York as stated right on the head badge. Ah well. So far there have been no other calls on the newspaper ad, but I'll give more time to see if a S.A. hub appears locally.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think there's a critical mass with equipment. The first few you acquire of anything takes money. Then comes horse trading, then you suddenly find they're coming at you free of charge and you're running out of space. It was guitar amps with me. I'm down to 7 now.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've also found that when you're not looking for something they seem to be in good supply, but tend to hide when actually needed. It wasn't until recently that I placed a value on those old Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs. But you are right; once I have what I need others will come out of hiding.
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well Im finally back on the net after waiting 17days for fiber optic to be installed in the older home we bought. Life is now pretty much centered around the net!

Wow SB cant imagine what must have happened to the hub? Both the Maytag and the Abbynormal bike run only warm to the touch. What did the tread on the tire look like? Maybe the hub was slipping generating heat? Maybe too much tension?

I still think 00 grease is the way to go it lubes like oil but stays in place like grease.

I guess you have put this build aside for a time understandably, but would like to see a post mortem on the hub at some point.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome back to cyberspace. If anything there may have been too much tension, certainly there was enough as there was no slippage at the tire at all. It was not dialed in for correct gear choice, but was in some gear. Something went wrong in there in a big way. Don't know. Sometime I'll take it apart and see what looks off.

After a good bit a looking around for a freewheel replacement I took up msrfan on his offer of a hub. It is a Sears and has a different shell than the Sturmey Archer, but according to Sheldon Brown has the same internals as Miss Piggy and thus is actually a Sturmey Archer. It is en-route so should be in hand either today or tomorrow.

It will get the grease/oil you suggested and I'll go lighter on the tension. It will work eventually and the project is just on temporary delay... don't touch that dial! Stay tuned to this station!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Mystery solved. Mat_man saw it, pointed it out and I discounted what he saw. My apologies, sir.

To back up a bit. Thanks to msrfan I have a replacement hub which I tried out today. Didn't work. I couldn't understand why the hub was not engaging and propelling the wheel forward. It was freewheeling. What???

Took a nap and when I woke up I flipped the hub. That was it. Instead of driving from the right side of the bike it needs to be from the left side. And the other hub burned up because it was a coaster brake type and was being asked to brake without there being a brake arm. And a coaster brake can't freewheel.

Mat_man said,

"Hi Silverbear

Great looking build. I think your rotation of the hub is Counter Clock Wise.
If your are using an old 3 speed hub, the rotation should be Clock Wise.

You need to flip the hub over to drive from the left side."

So, I need to do some cutting on the left hand rail, move the pulley to the left, flip the hub, re-position the cable control and try it that way. It will be awhile before the next trial run, but this is going to work...
SB

Last edited:

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Hi Silverbear,

No apologies needed. We are just so grateful that You, CB2, Msrfan and
many others, take the time to document your work, so others may
build their dream bikes. Thank you.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It works! Very smooth takeoff, easy shifting and cruises nicely at 30 mph or so (guessing). Not sure yet as I only have a few miles on it, but I may gear it down a bit more for easier hill climbing. With changing the large pulley at the jack-shaft and adjusting the number of links in the link belt that should be simple enough to do.
SB

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
An in-frame version of SB's bike could be a very popular build.
HF 79cc with the Sexy forward lean.

Spokes in the hub should extend its life by keeping it cooler, and have great wet weather performance.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A few pictures for show and tell. The hub sent from msrfan was made in Austria for Sears and on the inside is a Sturmey Archer model WD... same as (according to Sheldon Brown). The shell is very nice quality.

An in-frame version would have better balance. The bike is top heavy, but riding it I don't particularly notice that. What is noticeable is the poor distribution of weight front to back with most of it being behind the seat. Especially when pull starting the engine a little too much throttle makes it feel like it wants to do a wheelie. I may re-position the pull start and see how awkward it is starting it while astride the bike. I wear a helmet anyway, but especially with this bike I think it is a good idea. Cruising is very smooth and the noise is not bad at all. I'm not accustomed to a rack mount as this is my first one. Maybe fifty miles from now it will feel more at home. A better seat would be a good thing.
SB

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You know i was wondering about that when you first put it together,but never have monkeyed with one, didn't really know. Sure glad you are on the right track now.

Wonder dog looks right at home in there,and that beautiful lake remember that form last year when i visited. Not sure if its the same one but there all over up there,and that beautiful stat park,we stayed at.................Curt

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Call it nit picking, but you might want to point the exhaust away from the trailer a bit, dogs have such sensitive ears compared to ours.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Curt,
Now I've finally got it. Reverse the engine and reverse (flip) the hub. It seems all backwards from what I'm accustomed to, but so long as it makes the bike go forwards then backwards is good. Sorry to have muddied the waters regarding the suitability of the coaster brake model of Sturmey Archer. Maybe it is okay, after all. Hopefully we will see more builds using the old hubs.
Yes, the lake in the background of the photo is Eaglesnest Lake 4 along Bearhead Rd. at the lake's outlet which runs under the road through a culvert into Eaglesnest Lake 3 where I live. You did indeed pass it coming from Bearhead State Park. Next time bring your bike and allow more time so we can go riding.

msrfan,
Thank you so much for the hub. I'll try to be kind to it and no doubt it will give good service. I've been following your Whizzer adventures with your building buddies... fun!

Ludwig,
When it comes to the well being of my little friend, Aaniimoosh, consideration is an especially good thing. I'm aware of the muffler aimed her way and agree it is not good both for her hearing and for breathing exhaust. Her well being is the main reason I conned fasteddy into helping me build a sidecar for my Panther. Her sidecar, I should say, which is the next thing on my agenda getting it back on the road. Even so, she wants to go with when I take this strange new rack mount for a test run. I'll let her decide to go or not go and soon enough she'll have her sidecar again. Thanks for thinking of her.

And a special thanks to cannonball2 for all of your help with this build. I hope the dust is beginning to settle there with your house move mostly done with. To lose your mother and deal with that at the same time must have been very difficult. What a summer for you. If it isn't too hot there I hope you can indulge in some relaxed riding and sharing with us as you tinker in your new workshop setting. If there is another spoke drive in my future it will be in frame as you suggested.
SB

Last edited:

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
A coaster hub can freewheel if converted. I don't know if it's the same for IGH, but with single speed coasters you remove the shoes and clutch spring and place 3 washers in place of the clutch spring and you are left with a silent freewheel.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yeah, we used to do that to 20'' bikes my son raced in the '70s. Of course we'd add hand brakes. Cheaper than a freewheel and no lacing. The main thing it helped was to position your pedals at the starting gate.