79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Thanks Steve,
Mid to upper seventy's and mostly sunny. Still taking a couple flannel shirts. Mona's brother Mark turns 76 Friday.
Will be interesting to see how he takes it. He has a bit of the Peter Pan syndrome, but don't we all in our own way.
Going up the river road on the Minnesota side. If we get going soon enough we can stop in Minneiska, Mn. for lunch.
(20+) Eagle View Bar and Grill | Facebook
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Pat Dolan sent me this link a couple of weeks ago. vmmanual.pdf (mikuni.com)
It was mourning and the coffee hadn't kicked in yet. Should have printed it out for ready reference. I did today.
The last page illustration clarified much of my lack of understanding of what makes a carburetor function. Before today,
I have never adjusted an air jet adjusting screw. Stock PZ19 was not set right from the factory.. Just opening the air screw 13/4 to 2 turns made a huge improvement in WOT response. Not perfect, but way better. More to do but now I'm OK messing with the carb.
Tom

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Pat Dolan sent me this link a couple of weeks ago. vmmanual.pdf (mikuni.com)
It was mourning and the coffee hadn't kicked in yet. Should have printed it out for ready reference. I did today.
The last page illustration clarified much of my lack of understanding of what makes a carburetor function. Before today,
I have never adjusted an air jet adjusting screw. Stock PZ19 was not set right from the factory.. Just opening the air screw 13/4 to 2 turns made a huge improvement in WOT response. Not perfect, but way better. More to do but now I'm OK messing with the carb.
Tom
I was waiting for this, lol.

Good to know that you're getting things figured out. When I finally manage to get that carb, that'll come in handy. Month after next, I'll finally be able to build those new wheels for my bike, and then I can worry about the carb. My only concern is that the rear hub will have the same bolt-on freehub as my mag wheels. I'll be disassembling the hub before I build the wheel so I can return it if it is. Hopefully, I'll get the pull out type.

user54508

Feb 3, 2021
I was waiting for this, lol.

Good to know that you're getting things figured out. When I finally manage to get that carb, that'll come in handy. Month after next, I'll finally be able to build those new wheels for my bike, and then I can worry about the carb. My only concern is that the rear hub will have the same bolt-on freehub as my mag wheels. I'll be disassembling the hub before I build the wheel so I can return it if it is. Hopefully, I'll get the pull out type.
I had such bad luck with mag wheels. Had 2 turn to shrapnel on some builds lol never again! Very very common be careful with those!

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I had such bad luck with mag wheels. Had 2 turn to shrapnel on some builds lol never again! Very very common be careful with those!
I decided to simply drill out a MTB rim and hub to accept the 12ga spokes and spoke nipples. Double wall eyeleted rims are a pain to drill out though, especially when the eyelets are staggered. You have to drill those at an angle, and they like to spin if you're not using enough of a high quality cutting oil with sharp bits. The hub is easy, you just need to make sure you have some oil and you gotta clean off the bit every two or three holes and apply more oil. And let's not forget, slow and steady makes a clean cut.

I'm actually about to start truing the wheel and getting it tensioned up. I'll post a photo with the tire on it once it's complete.

user54508

Feb 3, 2021
I decided to simply drill out a MTB rim and hub to accept the 12ga spokes and spoke nipples. Double wall eyeleted rims are a pain to drill out though, especially when the eyelets are staggered. You have to drill those at an angle, and they like to spin if you're not using enough of a high quality cutting oil with sharp bits. The hub is easy, you just need to make sure you have some oil and you gotta clean off the bit every two or three holes and apply more oil. And let's not forget, slow and steady makes a clean cut.

I'm actually about to start truing the wheel and getting it tensioned up. I'll post a photo with the tire on it once it's complete.
Only thing I use on all my bikes is 12g spokes and steel rims. I just but worksmen rims now 1/8 thick rolled ones. Weight makes no difference to me in th he end like most have a melt down over lol. The bike has a engine I always say!

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I used the rim I did because of the strength, though I am glad to shave off some weight. It'll help my bike accelerate and stop faster, and might even let me go faster. This is a 33mm wide rim too, so I'll get a nice profile on my tire, and I won't suffer from tire squirm as much so handling will be more responsive. Here's hoping it actually holds up under tension.

user54508

Feb 3, 2021
God speaking of mag wheels Exploding! Not even on motorized bicycle! Normal bicycle! A Guy jumped a curb on a MTB with mags last night on the beach! Shattered the front wheel was impaled by Aluminum shards in his right side. That is so Brutal and Cringe omg... So much for a peace stroll down the beach on the cruiser lol!

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise

Here's the completed wheel
IMG_20211223_181343.jpg

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Sunday snooping on Craigslist to check the market value of my 1972 Chrome Schwinn Paramount P15.
Mine is full Campy except rear Shimano derailleur and handle bar end shift levers.
The stock Campy rear derailleur could not track the three ring Campy crankset.
Unlike most Paramounts for sale I have the complete paramount toolset with case.
Here is one from down by Chicago.
1972 SCHWINN PARAMOUNT - bicycles - by owner - bike sale (craigslist.org)

The P15's have brazed lugs for fender brackets and rear rack. Very OLD SCHOOL, but in my salad days.
It was a time machine of speed and grace. Fancy this. I purchased it second hand for $250 in Kennedy dollars in 1973.
I need to move on, and find a Terratrike like those Silver Bear has found. I always did fancy recumbents for their low wind resistance. It is now 2022 and I will soon be 71 with too many irons in the fire.

Tom

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
I don't like being 70, or I'd rather be younger. That paramount is very nice. What was the longest distance you ever rode? Did you get many flats back in the day? Do you think that drivers do not see recumbents because they are so low? I don't even think drivers notice those flags recumbents use for visibility.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Sunday snooping on Craigslist to check the market value of my 1972 Chrome Schwinn Paramount P15.
Mine is full Campy except rear Shimano derailleur and handle bar end shift levers.
The stock Campy rear derailleur could not track the three ring Campy crankset.
Unlike most Paramounts for sale I have the complete paramount toolset with case.
Here is one from down by Chicago.
1972 SCHWINN PARAMOUNT - bicycles - by owner - bike sale (craigslist.org)

The P15's have brazed lugs for fender brackets and rear rack. Very OLD SCHOOL, but in my salad days.
It was a time machine of speed and grace. Fancy this. I purchased it second hand for $250 in Kennedy dollars in 1973.
I need to move on, and find a Terratrike like those Silver Bear has found. I always did fancy recumbents for their low wind resistance. It is now 2022 and I will soon be 71 with too many irons in the fire.

Tom
Those were and are slick bikes. I'll soon be 75 yet feel better than at 60. Numbers do matter as they get bigger but quality over quantity and if you're given both that's a real blessing!

I really like the recumbents. Flasher led's really get my attention and not just on the rear, side flasher as well. Run both day and night! When I get old my recumbent will be an electric with a huge amp hour battery to run all my gadgets.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I don't like being 70, or I'd rather be younger. That paramount is very nice. What was the longest distance you ever rode? Did you get many flats back in the day? Do you think that drivers do not see recumbents because they are so low? I don't even think drivers notice those flags recumbents use for visibility.
Hi zean, longest nonstop was sixty miles. I never used sew up tires so never had flats.
Around here in SE Wisconsin recumbents are not uncommon on the road. All two wheelers at present.
Rick makes a good point about visibility. The new LED marking lights I see long before I spot the skinny person spinning.

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
A friend from Ontario WI came for a visit Friday 4/28/23.
He is a biker too. He has ridden from Wisconsin to Mexico. Just to visit his Novia. I don't think he was just practicing his Spanish. Which he teaches up here in El Norte.
I had told him about the Flyer, and that was the first thing he wanted to see. To my surprise he took it for a real vintage motorcycle. Thunder struck is a strong word but he was close to it.
His name is Tom Peterson too. Might be one reason we get on well.
Supposed to get ANOTHER wet snow. Peas are starting to sprout.

Tom

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Sounds like you're weather is as flaky as ours Tom. May Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK (followed by another for next Saturday's Charlie/Camilla Coronation) and I'm stuck indoors watching the Snooker World Championship thanks to yet more rain. The E-bike carrier for my Saab (now UK registered) that was supposed to be delivered last Wednesday still hasn't showed up, so my planned weekend trip over to the Lake District in Cumbria is postponed. Been that kind of cold, wet spring where I haven't been able to squeeze-in anywhere near the bike rides I was looking forward to. But the forecast for next week says 'a mini heatwave is on the way', so fingers crossed...