79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Brost!
The beer I take is Leinenkugel's until 5PM after which, I start my knock out of wine. Usually Chardonnay.

Perfect pairing with grilled burgers and Mona's outstanding potato salad.
I went on the simple side.
No bun, just meat and potato salad. It was a perfect balanced meal. Foundering my self was an option, I feel good.
The potato salad Mona made is the classic with Mayo.
Only thing lacking would be minced bacon, which righty goes beyond decadence .Been there done it

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Brost!
The beer I take is Leinenkugel's until 5PM after which, I start my knock out of wine. Usually Chardonnay.

Perfect pairing with grilled burgers and Mona's outstanding potato salad.
I went on the simple side.
No bun, just meat and potato salad. It was a perfect balanced meal. Foundering my self was an option, I feel good.
The potato salad Mona made is the classic with Mayo.
Only thing lacking would be minced bacon, which righty goes beyond decadence .Been there done it
Leinenkugel is great. Sounds like a great dinner and bacon goes with everything lol

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Coaster brake guts soaking in mineral spirits, and flushed the hub shell. Blasted the wheel and hub with brake cleaner.
Parts in the solvent are soaking at an ambient 95F. Fooking Caliente! At least for SE Wisconsin.

Did a low dose lung CT scan in the AM. Doc. ordered cause cumulatively I was a one pack a dayer for thirty years.
Didn't tell her it was Lucky Strike straights or that i chewed plug and leaf tobacco. Nuther red flag! :)
S W side of the state i come from. Everybody raised an acre of tobacco as a cash crop.
I was likely 5 when Grandpa Peterson gave me my first chew. The image is in my mind still. Havana Blossom.
All he said was, "spit don't swallow Tommy". Somebody should have photo'd that scene.

After flushing the hub with brake cleaner, I tox'd out even in open air. Lungs disliked it the most, so I did not put my reading glasses in to inspect the power drive side bearing race. Manana.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I got in touch with Pat Dolan of Sportsman Flyer this week and had him invoice me for his excellent 79cc Predator Engine Mount System. I also ordered his tank graphics.
The engine mount will get this build going. With the engine mounted it will allow me to set up the rest of the drive train and hope I get no surprises.
Does Pat sell this anymore? I couldn’t find it on his site

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
De nada Danny.
My immersion into all things Sportsman Flyer is one of my OCD's
The day I took possession of a Worksman drop loop frame from Lynne and it had the Sportsman Flyer Holy Grail head badge, I was all in.

On the cheap cuz I hung around on the other Forum alot, early on, which demographically is much younger or looking looking to get around a DUI.
I cut every corner I could get away with, and still stay true to the Marquee. When the vinyl graphics go on the tank you are under obligation to be true to Pat.
Well I thought I was going to finish the part clean up and rebuild of the Shimano CB-E-110 coaster brake today.
93F in the shade. My ambition petered out quick. Brake guts in solvent in full sun, grease will be dissolved for sure.
Good wash in lacquer thinner to dry thing off.

Tom

Last edited:

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
De nada Danny.
My immersion into all things Sportsman Flyer is one of my OCD's
The day I took possession of a Worksman drop loop frame from Lynne and it had the Sportsman Flyer Holy Grail head badge, I was all in.

On the cheap cuz I hung around on the other Forum alot, early on, which demographically is much younger or looking looking to get around a DUI.
I cut every corner I could get away with, and still stay true to the Marquee. When the vinyl graphics go on the tank you are under obligation to be true to Pat.
Well I thought I was going to finish the part clean up and rebuild of the Shimano CB-E-110 coaster brake today.
93F in the shade. My ambition petered out quick. Brake guts in solvent in full sun, grease will be dissolved for sure.
Good wash in lacquer thinner to dry thing off.

Tom
Wow, only 90 here.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I am interested in the motor mount kits from Pat that turns the motor head up. Looks best that way
If you want to turn heads with the Harley boys, it is hard to beat a Taylar, Helmutt, or Flyer.
Each is a 3K build unless you do a lot of fab but the running gear is spendy.
Bikes with 79cc engines in standard configuration and a Q-Matic maybe 1K. Still have to fab an engine mount.
All else being standard Go-Kart off the shelf. If I build another 79cc bike it will not be vertical.
Have you considered? SPORTSMAN 160 FOUR STROKE ENGINE INSTALL KIT | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES
5hp, it was where I was leaning, until the AGK mods done in my shop became real.
Dumb a$$ question. Do you have a market for your current builds? It helps fund the next adventure.

Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
If you want to turn heads with the Harley boys, it is hard to beat a Taylar, Helmutt, or Flyer.
Each is a 3K build unless you do a lot of fab but the running gear is spendy.
Bikes with 79cc engines in standard configuration and a Q-Matic maybe 1K. Still have to fab an engine mount.
All else being standard Go-Kart off the shelf. If I build another 79cc bike it will not be vertical.
Have you considered? SPORTSMAN 160 FOUR STROKE ENGINE INSTALL KIT | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES
5hp, it was where I was leaning, until the AGK mods done in my shop became real.
Dumb a$$ question. Do you have a market for your current builds? It helps fund the next adventure.

Tom
Yeah, I’m not ready to build a Sportsman Flyer Yet but I will in the future. Definitely want to build a Harley BTR with one of Pats frames & tanks.

But i’m also wanting to put a predator 79 cc in my WLA build. Why would you not turn the motor vertical again Tom, too many issues and extra fabrication? I have to go back and revisit that part of your thread.

and on that same subject, aren’t there motor mounts out there that are sold for these motors? I’ve seen some, is their quality bad? I realize all the ones I have seen are not free vertical mount.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
OK, after rereading the beginning of the thread, it is quickly come to my attention we are talking about two different things. The amount that Pat sales is specific to his drop loop frames, which I fully intend on using on a future build. However with that said, if I stick a predator in my WLA build, I’m going to have to use a motor mount similar to this (which is not in a vertical configuration

also, have more to learn about the catch can as I’m not a fan of spraying oil. Is this still an issue if the motor is not mounted vertically?

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
And just as quickly as I post that, I find a vertical mount for the predator on gasbike

Sorry Tom, not trying to hijack your thread

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Yeah, I’m not ready to build a Sportsman Flyer Yet but I will in the future. Definitely want to build a Harley BTR with one of Pats frames & tanks.

But i’m also wanting to put a predator 79 cc in my WLA build. Why would you not turn the motor vertical again Tom, too many issues and extra fabrication? I have to go back and revisit that part of your thread.

and on that same subject, aren’t there motor mounts out there that are sold for these motors? I’ve seen some, is their quality bad? I realize all the ones I have seen are not free vertical mount.
I stick with post 291, The biggest deal, is to me is right, left adjustability to prefect chain line. Your frames will not take a vertical easily. If at all, fit wise.
The Huffy I am rebuilding, gets my original Flyer engine. In it's correct orientation. At which time, the Q-Matic will be used.
I have no knowledge of any engine mount for a Huffy application that are ready made. Believe me, when I get at it.
The fun will not have begun. Well, maybe it will.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I stick with post 291, The biggest deal, is to me is right, left adjustability to prefect chain line. Your frames will not take a vertical easily. If at all, fit wise.
The Huffy I am rebuilding, gets my original Flyer engine. In it's correct orientation. At which time, the Q-Matic will be used.
I have no knowledge of any engine mount for a Huffy application that are ready made. Believe me, when I get at it.
The fun will not have begun. Well, maybe it will.
Of course it’s fun, sometimes frustrating but eventually rewarding

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
#294 If you go vertical, you will have to pull the side cover to drill and tap 1/2"NPT the blank oil filler port.
Curt is right about the need to keep the block from turning. Fortunately there is a bit of casting that can accomplish it.

#293 I dislike universal engine mounts. Better to fabricate a designed of the purpose mount.

Tom