79cc Not Fitting Inside Frame

Discussion in 'Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes' started by SnazzyCazzy, Jun 27, 2019.

1. SnazzyCazzy

SnazzyCazzy New Member

Hey guys, newbie here.

I recently purchased a 79cc 4-stroke engine kit to put inside a mountain bike. I got halfway done assembling everything and then did a dry fit inside the frame and realized it wouldn't fit. I'm afraid gasbike won't accept a return at this point so I was wondering if it's possible to mount the engine on a bracket above the rear wheel, something such as:
    https://www.amazon.com/BoG-Products-Guaranteed-Satisfaction-Durability/dp/B01EQQGJSA
    I would then run the chain from the transmission vertically to the sprocket to drive the wheel.

Please let me know if you think this would work.

Thanks!

2. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Well-Known Member

wheelbender6 likes this.
  3. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

That rack will probably twist under motor torque, sorry the engine didn’t fit in your frame but the simplest thing would be to change to a cruiser frame. You can move most everything from the mountain bike.

4. xXNightRiderXx

xXNightRiderXx Active Member

Alternatively, you could also search for an older mountain bike, preferably pre y2k. Those bikes from the early days of mountain biking are steel tubed beasts, and can take a beating, and have geometry similar to a road bike. Swap the wheels out though, because those single walls cannot handle the strain. Mtb double wall rims with 9mm qr mtb hubs will, especially the new ones.

allen standley likes this.