3 speed Elgin Velocipede 1934

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Mid June would be good. That's when the mosquitoes here are in a feeding frenzy and the black flies (sand flies) get up under your hairline and behind your ears to chew holes and suck blood. And let us not forget the no-see-ums which are tiny mouths with pointy teeth and wings of a size to pass through screen undetected. They like blood, too. They say it is good to give blood in your community. I don't know, it isn't all that good. So, yeah, lets trade weather (bugs come with) in mid June. Can't wait!
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The no-see-um sounds like a version of the Highland Midge. Invisible but can hold a pint.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
When Ewan and Charlie did their World Tour for the telly, they were on the Road Of Bones in Russia, and one of them said that one form of punishment for prisoners was to strip them and tie their hands to an overhead branch for a dayy in the mozzy season. Survivors were allowed free at the end of the day.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It should also be mentioned that effective Mozzie control in northern Minnesota is a 410 shotgun and bird shot. Really effective Mozzie control is if the shotgun is semi automatic with a large magazine.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
SB the Villiers midget looks just right on your Elgin Velocipede. 2 cycles have a long & interesting history in motorcycling. Since I often use the Indian title for various tribute bikes, with apologies to purists, I'm frequently asked what year they represent? All Indian 2 cycle tributes indicate this reply, "1916 K model Featherweight" as it was the only year Indian produced a bike with the out-sourced Villiers machined, 221cc single 2-cycle engine & avoids having to contradict those who adamantly think a two cycle is automatically out of place in a Franco-American tribute bicycle. I also build 4 cycle bikes as well which demand a bit more creativity on addressing their year of production. Rick C.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like the midget, too and am also using it on another build

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=47993

which utilizes the kick start and dog clutch from a British Atco rotary mower of the 1950's. I had this running and mowing before cannibalizing the engine cradle to fit the back end of a hybrid power trike. For now this one is on the back burner as I want to get the kindalikeawhizer and the Elgin Velocipede finished first. I think the midget is a great little engine.
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
SB the Villiers midget looks just right on your Elgin Velocipede. 2 cycles have a long & interesting history in motorcycling. Since I often use the Indian title for various tribute bikes, with apologies to purists, I'm frequently asked what year they represent? All Indian 2 cycle tributes indicate this reply, "1916 K model Featherweight" as it was the only year Indian produced a bike with the out-sourced Villiers machined, 221cc single 2-cycle engine & avoids having to contradict those who adamantly think a two cycle is automatically out of place in a Franco-American tribute bicycle. I also build 4 cycle bikes as well which demand a bit more creativity on addressing their year of production. Rick C.
--------------------------------------
Hello Rick,
I visited your profile and albums - wonderful vehicles could be seen there!
For INDIAN, I shouldn't think that using that name is any problem for replicas that are not quite copies of some original... The main is to catch the general look and some details
of some model, the same as the spirit of its period.
Of course, problem should be if somebody want to sell replica as original - often happened at E-Bay with replicas of veteran cars...
The most important is to have fun during designing, building and driving own motorised vehilce of any kind!
Ciao,
Zoran

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh boy...

Fed Ex delivered a package today from faraway Maryland containing a really wonderful surprise. I knew that my good friend and sometimes partner in motor bicycle crime, Tinsmith (Dan) had finished making a cylindrical copper gas tank for behind the seat of the Velocipede. I knew that and also knew it would be roughly the size of a V-8 juice can. I also knew that it would be beautiful, but did not fully appreciate how very special it is. I have no idea how Dan did the "ribs", but they add a lot and the copper looks wonderful! Controlling solder on a curved surface is very difficult and doing it with copper is that much harder as the heat tends to migrate more easily with copper than with tin. If I had made this the solder would have been much more evident... all over the place. I've done a lot of soldering work with stained glass and am much impressed with what Dan has done. What a very fine artisan you are, sir. My deepest thanks to you.

Dan helped me make a steel in frame tank for my 1950 Panther and he made to die for copper gas tanks for the "Kindalikeawhizzer" 1951 Schwinn cantilever frame and an in frame copper tank for the Indian Hiawatha tri-car. The copper tanks are highlights of each of these builds lifting them beyond the ordinary. The time we spent over the course of a couple winters of Saturdays are fond memories, sharing stories and making beautiful things. Following that up with great lunches with Dan's wife Jackie and then in fair weather riding our motorbikes through Maryland farm country... life doesn't get much better than that.

Dan tells me this was the last gas tank he's making as the arthritis in his hands have suffered enough abuse. This last one is a masterpiece. Well done, sir!
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had a nice conversation with Dan about the making of the tank and asked if I could share it on this thread. I thought some of you might find it of interest. It's kind of technical stuff, but also I think gives some insight into how artisans work at least in part by "feel" which comes from understanding both the tools you're working with and the materials, like a woodworker who understands his cutting tool and knows how the particular wood he or she is working with behaves, reading the grain and then feeling how it responds to the blade. Those of you who make music or paint for a living will be able to relate, I think. People who work with their hands in traditional ways know how it is and why making things with 'intelligent hands' satisfies so deeply.

Dan said,
" Most of the fellas that have done sheet metal work probably know how I did the "ribs" on the tank. They are called "beads". I used one of the ancient bench mount machines that you might not have seen. It was actually over in the corner on a bench, in exile. The machine is called a beading machine. This specifically is a deep throated beading machine probably 100 years old like many of the others. As you can tell by holding the tank those beads add a tremendous amount of rigidity to the tank and that was normally the function of using the machine. If you have a large expanse of flat sheet metal in a piece and you are able to run some beads up and down it, it stiffens the piece up nicely so it doesn't "waffle" around. In some of my larger lantern type pieces the beading machine was used for that purpose, but a lot of times it is just used for decoration, to kinda jazz the piece up a bit. There are two rollers that intermesh on the machine to form the bead and there are many different sets of rolls for different patterns. Some have multiple numbers and sizes of beads per roll. I only have a couple sets of rolls, as they are specific to the particular model and never had need of more. They can be quite pricey. Almost better to buy a new machine with rolls available. And also very pricey.

As you might imagine this tank was much easier than the in frame tanks. It didn't have to fit anything and cylinders are pretty basic. The biggest thing is getting the end caps to snap on the piece. As with glass work, the better the fit the better the piece. You might remember that when I turn up an edge on the burring machine I like it as small as possible because the bigger the turned edge the more likely it will distort the piece. I like the burr to be 1/8" if possible. With copper on this piece it was possible. Very little distortion. I measured the cylinder and set the circle cutter accordingly allowing the extra I thought I needed for the burr. You have to consider the thickness of the metal also. I try to turn the burr a tad over 90 degrees, but most folks wouldn't be able to notice that. I think it has a tendency to stay in place a little better. The first try was almost perfect. How about that? It was a lucky day cause I just tweeked the depth gauge on the burring machine and the next two snapped right on. Had to coax them a bit, but that's what I want. I rigged up a clamp to hold them in place "gently".

The interlocking seam across the bottom was a 3/8 seam since I have a 3/8" seam set down tool to hammer up and down it to lock it in place. The fittings were soldered using the propane torch. Most of the heat was on the fitting to draw the solder towards the fitting and not running across the tank as you alluded to. It's just one of those touchy/feely things as to how long to keep the heat on it like you see the plumbers do. Just enough, not too much. I did use the big iron on the end caps and kept the heat on the burred edge of the cap so the solder was pulled into the overlapping joint.. Oh! I never did check for leaks, so you might want to do that before you mount and fill'er up. That was dumbass of me wasn't it?

It was not a difficult piece and fortunately I didn't make it difficult. Nice knowing I still can "feel" the metal as I work with it. That is the great thing about doing it the old way. It's hard to explain, but you feel it when things are working right. Kinda like cutting glass. Some days you have it, some you don't."

Thanks for letting me share this, Dan. I wish I could have been there in the Tinsmith shop taking pictures as the tank came together.
SB

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for sharing a fabrication artist's stories. Sadly metal workers of a certain age are retireing... but Dan is also inspiring with the retelling of, perhaps his final production piece's story. Dan's own process of creation from scratch. How many thousands of bits of tin & metals comprise his life of daily construction of utilitarian as well as artistic items, in the course of making a living doing what he loves, for those he loves. New generations continue to replace us & our work but the great ones owe a huge debt to those like Dan who proceeded & inspired dedication to an art and craft. Also personally thank him for answering a Marine's call to service and duty, to his country as well as his brothers in arms...for ever vigilent & faithful to the Republic. Rick C.